Makita DCS5121 vs. Dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Greetings all. My first post here.
I have been researching the difference between these 2 saws for a couple weeks now. I am in Canada so both saws are available, as well as the Maruyama MCV51. As far as I can tell, all these saws are made by the Dolamr factory in Japan. The Marumaya and the Dolmar spec out the same on their respective websites. Where it gets muddy is with the Makita branded saw. On the Makita Canada site the DCS5121REJ specs out the same as a Dolmar 510. A local dealer sells both the Marumaya and the Makita, and was kind enough to allow me to compare them side by side. With the covers off, they are identical> Same carbs (adjustable) and same coils (green wire and newer routing at front of flywheel). I did a subjective weight assessment on the 2 saws side by side and they feel identical. I made a couple test cuts with the Marumaya and it runs fast and strong, but other than that I can't say if it runs like a Dolmar 510 or 5105. I have checked the parts list online for the Maruyama and it is identical to the Dolmar 5105, including the magnesium case halves. Makita Canada does not have a parts list for the DCS5121REJ.
So, was Makita Canada in years past calling a Dolmar 510 a Makita DCS5121, and then decided to switch to a Dolmar 5105 model and simply rename it a DCS5121REJ, or has Dolmar changed the 510 model to look identical under the hood to the newest 5105 model?
Or is there something else altogether different going on here???

So you are saying the 510 has been upgraded to 5105 hardware, including coil and carb? Because the 2016 production Makita DCS5121REJ is absolutely identical to the 2016 Maruyama MCV51> I have looked at all the pics I can find on the web of the Makita DCS5121, and they are not the same as the saw I had in my hands a couple days ago. Different coil, and different air ducting from the flywheel to the carb area.

I'm in the London area , bought some Maruyama OPE that Rona was clearing out this fall . I didn't know we had actual dealer in Ontario .
Could you tell me where this fellow is at in case I need any parts ?
Thanks and welcome aboard .
The Maruyama I'm pretty sure is the same as the 5105 Dolmar , I didn't buy one but I have seen pics of it .

I'm in the London area , bought some Maruyama *** that Rona was clearing out this fall . I didn't know we had actual dealer in Ontario .
Could you tell me where this fellow is at in case I need any parts ?
Thanks and welcome aboard .
He is in Roblin, Ontario (north/west of Kingston) T & E Small Engines

510 is aluminum case and open port cylinder

5105 is mag cased and closed port for a .6hp increase and roughly 1/2lb decrease in weight

Maruyama MCV51=5105

Makita EA5000=5105

Makita DCS5121=510

all versions are currently assembled in Germany

5105 is mag cased and closed port for a .6hp increase and roughly 1/2lb decrease in weight

Maruyama MCV51=5105

Makita EA5000=5105

Makita DCS5121=510

Thank you for all the info. I stand corrected - yes these saws are made in Germany. I am going to take a closer look at the cylinders of the Makita and the Maruyama tomorrow and see if they are the closed or open port cylinders. Looking on the web, it seems that the closed port cylinders lack some cooling fins near the base. Do you know that to be the case?

Chris

Maruyama MCV51=5105

Makita EA5000=5105

Makita DCS5121=510

Thanks. In NZ, the EA models are assembled in China, from predominantly German origin parts. That's the story the NZ Makita guys told me a wee while back. There was one EA saw model that had predominantly Japanese origin parts but I can't recall which one. Again, from what I was told.

Thanks. In NZ, the EA models are assembled in China, from predominantly German origin parts. That's the story the NZ Makita guys told me a wee while back. There was one EA saw model that had predominantly Japanese origin parts but I can't recall which one. Again, from what I was told.
For USA based models the only china assembled one is the PS-32 but other countries have a much larger selection of saws than we do so china assembly is very possible and with the track record the PS-32's have it wouldn't scare me a bit, Makita has a pretty tight grip on the china based assembly plants from what i see.

Am I the only one who thinks Makita naming standards are rather confusing vs Dolmar?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 9 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Okay, back to the dealer again today take a closer look at the Makita and the Maruyama. Finnlogger, I don't think Makita could be any more confusing regarding their many iterations of saws/brands/models if they tried. Only an "educated" executive could come up with a mishmash like this, spread it around the whole world, and then expect customers to come running.
Anyway, back to the saws. The dealer was kind enough once again to humor my investigation so we once again removed the covers on both the Makita and the Maruyama and took a close look at the cylinders. More specifically, the base of the cylinders. They are not the same. The Maruyama clearly has the closed port cylinder, while the Makita clearly has the open port. So, cuinrearview is correct - the Makita DCS5121REJ (2016, red color) appears to be updated but is still a Dolmar PS-510, while the Maruyama MCV51 is clearly a Dolmar PS-5105 with the color scheme reversed.
So, with all the sleuthing completed, I plunked down my money and walked out with the Maruyama and look forward to putting it to good.

Many thanks to the shop owners for allowing me to take my time and buy the right saw.
Chris

I forgot to mention in my last post, but for anyone that is interested, you can identify the open port cylinder by looking at the cooling fins. The open port cylinder has cooling fins extending the full length of the cylinder, while the closed port cylinder has no cooling fins for the bottom inch or so of the cylinder. Also, the base of the open port cylinder is squared, and the base on the closed port cylinder is oval/rounded. In other words, the closed port cylinder is "fat" near the base.

Okay, back to the dealer again today take a closer look at the Makita and the Maruyama. Finnlogger, I don't think Makita could be any more confusing regarding their many iterations of saws/brands/models if they tried. Only an "educated" executive could come up with a mishmash like this, spread it around the whole world, and then expect customers to come running.
Anyway, back to the saws. The dealer was kind enough once again to humor my investigation so we once again removed the covers on both the Makita and the Maruyama and took a close look at the cylinders. More specifically, the base of the cylinders. They are not the same. The Maruyama clearly has the closed port cylinder, while the Makita clearly has the open port. So, cuinrearview is correct - the Makita DCS5121REJ (2016, red color) appears to be updated but is still a Dolmar PS-510, while the Maruyama MCV51 is clearly a Dolmar PS-5105 with the color scheme reversed.
So, with all the sleuthing completed, I plunked down my money and walked out with the Maruyama and look forward to putting it to good.

Many thanks to the shop owners for allowing me to take my time and buy the right saw.
Chris

Chris
Chris , we are glad to hear that your happy with your new saw. We like knowing that our customers get the product they want. We look forward to seeing you again and getting your feedback on the Maruyama. Thanks again , Erica.

Not to put too fine a point on it but if the idjit who went on my ignore list after questioning my advice about the mcv51 being the 5105 is reading this thread, can you hear this or do I need to turn it up?

We are new to this site! Thank you, Chris Brown, for the referral. We are a Makita / Maruyama dealer in Ontario, Canada (near Kingston, ON).

Welcome aboard , my oldest son was posted in Kingston for a few years but is now posted to Gagetown NB . I myself lived in Kingston from 1959-63 and still love that area .
I've got all your contact info with my Maruyama owners manuals , they look to make or carry good machines . I'm impressed with the build .

Back