Makita DCS6401 oil leakage question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTK

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Makita dcs6401 on the cheap, runs well and the cylinder looks good from the exhaust port. The only problem is that it really likes to leak bar oil after you stop it and set it down. The manual says a little dripping is normal, but I have never seen a saw leak like this. Before I go tearing it apart I would like some feed back.

Thanks

Put down the saw and step back. The CAD here is contagious and will infect you. Its your only chance of survival. Happy New Year!!:cheers:

No Kidding
I have played with engines all my life and attaching a cutting device to it is really cool:) Next step is porting:)
This oil dripping thing got under my skin for some reason.
Happy New Year all

I just picked up a Makita dcs6401 on the cheap, runs well and the cylinder looks good from the exhaust port. The only problem is that it really likes to leak bar oil after you stop it and set it down. The manual says a little dripping is normal, but I have never seen a saw leak like this. Before I go tearing it apart I would like some feed back.

Thanks

There was a thread recently where a 6401 owner said that it helped to crack the oil cap to release pressure in the tank after cutting. I haven't tried it, just passing it along.

Jack

There is an oil line that needs to be replaced. This was common on some of the earlier makitas. Look up Cuttinscott, he is a site sponser(The Cutting Edge) and should be able to help you out.

Last edited:
This is what Scott gave me for info when my 6401 was leaking. Ordered from him with quick shipping.

The part # that was posted is the correct one. Here is what cuttinscott replied to my ??? last April on this.
Al

Quote:
The updated part # is 038 245 061

The new line is Green and the old one is black.

There is an oil line that needs to be replaced. This was common on some of the earlier makitas. Look up Cuttinscott, he is a site sponser(Edge & Engine) and should be able to help you out.

Man that is not going to go over well.... CuttinScott and E and E are two different sponsors.

My 6401 was dropping oil like crazy after I was done using it and was told it was the oil line but found that opening the oil cap after I was done completely fixed the problem and a much easier fix at that. :chainsaw:

Back