Makita DCS6401 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedunit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all.

Found a rental company on the Fleabay selling several 6401s for about 200. Look to be typical rentals with the usual dents and dings but they all supposedly run.

I want one for the sole purpose of installing a BB kit as I already have a MS391. If I do so, I'm guessing I should wait to break it in before a muff mod and or porting? Also who would you guys recommend for a high quality porting job? I feel pretty comfortable with the muffler work but the porting scares me.

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I would send it to someone not too far away

I don't see any saws that are selling for $200. I see some that are started there but they will be close to $300 bf the auction ends, and you are getting the one in the pic, you can bet on that .

I don't see any saws that are selling for $200. I see some that are started there but they will be close to $300 bf the auction ends, and you are getting the one in the pic, you can bet on that .

There were 3 of them starting at 150 with a buy it now price of 200 a few hours ago. Hope they all didn't get snatched up already.

I cant find them either. If they were running, working without much need for repair- that was a great price!

There were 3 of them starting at 150 with a buy it now price of 200 a few hours ago. Hope they all didn't get snatched up already.

Those saws don't run. I saw them too, but I would like to start with a saw that already runs.

Edit: I do see one that has running ones for 150 but that is the starting bid, and like said before it will at least double.

Last edited:
Notice I said "supposedly". For 2 bills I would take one that is locked up or has low compression as long as all the parts are there and the bearings/carb are in good shape.

I went to my local H*** D*pot and asked if they had any rentals for sale.
Answer was not at this time. Then the clerk said that he could order one for me for $472.90 + tax.
I asked around at the shops who sold Makita saws, and all said they could not match that price.
I returned to HD and ordered the saw. Model#DCS640120A (20" bar).

Answer was not at this time. Then the clerk said that he could order one for me for $472.90 + tax.
I asked around at the shops who sold Makita saws, and all said they could not match that price.

Interesting that you were able to order a DCS6401 as that saw was discontinued over a year ago in favor of the DCS6421. I'd be interested to see if HD is selling NOS 6401 for $100 less than the competition is selling the 6421.

I went through all this with HD last year this time and they came back to me a week later wanting $672.90. I bought a new Dolmar 6425 at the local dealer for $590 that same day.

I had the same thing happen. I went in to buy some blown up rentals and the guy showed me his catalog that had 6401s for $472. This was two weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back