Makita/Dolmar EA4300 PS421 alternate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now that this 42cc saw is scheduled to be discontinued 2022, are there any good alternates for something in this weight/power range with a Mag case and low vibration?
I like the Dolmar anti-vibe and a smooth running tool is critical given my decrepitude. There appear plenty of alternates, but most are plastic and despite being a little lighter do not fill me with enthusiasm. MS241 is gone and 543Xp is up there in price. I have a PS-5100 and MS261 which are as big as I need and a 192T for trimming in a tree and a MS170 that my wife can use in an emergency if there is a branch down across the road. I want something a bit lighter that I can traipse through the woods with for thinning and clearing fallen limbs etc. Lighter than the 50cc saws and with more power than the 170.
I don't earn a living with a saw and can wait in the event I need parts, but I do want to know I will be able to get them...

Do I just go look and try to snag one of these before they disappear or should I just `man up' and live with the heavier toy?
thanks in advance
Beardy

I have a ps421 and its a great saw. As for alternatives there's not much out there. There either low cost clam shell or slightly larger more expensive pro saws. The only thing close I can think of weight, quality and price is the Echo CS501p /CS490. I have the 501 also. Power head weight is the same on both. Power wise the 501 has the edge. In small wood the 421 is faster but once over 10-12" the Echo wins. The 421 is smoother and spins up faster. Overall I like the makita/dolmar better.

Any idea what the industry standard is for parts availability after a saw is discontinued?
People seem happy to rum older Dolmars, so perhaps I am worrying about nothing but I thought I'd ask

I'm a total 4300 fan, even though most of my saws are of brand S and H. I picked up my 4300F on a whim as it sat on the rental tool for sale shelf at Home Depot.
It's a light and agile saw that cuts above it's class. I wouldn't worry that the saw is being discontinued, as with good care and maintenance it will serve you well for many years.

Any idea what the industry standard is for parts availability after a saw is discontinued?
People seem happy to rum older Dolmars, so perhaps I am worrying about nothing but I thought I'd ask
Of course they are happy, the company were producing parts or had a lot of old stock, now that Makita are
shutting down production of gas saws I can foresee them already having stopped making parts, or at least
I wont be depending on them for a supply, changing brands I am.

In stock form, it does. But I bet it would make for a great handling little ported saw.
Doesn't look gutless to me, its only 38.4cc / 1.9kw compared to Makita 's 43cc.
look at the wood its in, and they can be muffler modded.
Best of all Echo have not announced they are stopping production of gas saws, so parts
will be available.
Though given how light and small the Echo 501p is that will beat all in its class except the
Stihl and Husky 50cc saws, but they are physically larger and more expensive and have electronics
to deal with.

Love the Dolmar/Makita products. But for the money, I really like The Echo Cs400. After muffler mod and tune it's kind of impressive! Out of the box, it's a slug!

A quick update: I picked up an ex-rental Home Depot EA4300F DOM 18:11 for 180 beer tokens. I pulled off the muffler and spark plug had a look inside and there weren't any obvious scratches. The saw fired up and it all looks OK, although needs a new air filter. It has a 6 tooth 3/8" spur drive and `Home Depot' rental bar (I am told this is rubbish...) (?).
I have since removed the cat. I will be on the look out for a second parts saw since these are going away in the near future.

I am hoping the hive mind can advise me on the following?

What year did this saw have `easy start'? I took off the side cover and there is no fancy spring or anything clever..

Please sanity check the following... I plan to get a 0.325 rim drive -I assume this is just a case of changing the clutch cover & rim drive assembly (?)
https://www.sawagain.com/dolmar-ps-...procket-assembly-new-oem-181223062-181223200/
Can you suggest an appropriate bar and chain?
One post on here suggested that it needed to be narrow kerf and others have specified a Oregon 160GLGK041 and 20BPX 66DL or LPX chain (which is not narrow kerf).
Yours confused...

3/8 lp would be just fine for that saw. Nice find, those are nice saws that like to think they are 50cc's! Lol. Don't know about easy start begining, but my Dolmar was made in '03, so it was after that...

If that rim drive fits on your EA4300F please let me know as I would like to purchase one for my saw.
A while back I ordered a rim drive for a 4300, thinking that it would work on a EA4300F, but that was not the case as it didn't have the clutch drum protrusions.
I'd run a 16" bar .325 with a 7 pin rim if given the choice. Until I can get a new sprocket, I'm sticking with a Stihl 3/8" RS Pico chain.

A quick update: I picked up an ex-rental Home Depot EA4300F DOM 18:11 for 180 beer tokens. I pulled off the muffler and spark plug had a look inside and there weren't any obvious scratches. The saw fired up and it all looks OK, although needs a new air filter. It has a 6 tooth 3/8" spur drive and `Home Depot' rental bar (I am told this is rubbish...) (?).
I have since removed the cat. I will be on the look out for a second parts saw since these are going away in the near future.

I am hoping the hive mind can advise me on the following?

What year did this saw have `easy start'? I took off the side cover and there is no fancy spring or anything clever..

Please sanity check the following... I plan to get a 0.325 rim drive -I assume this is just a case of changing the clutch cover & rim drive assembly (?)
https://www.sawagain.com/dolmar-ps-...procket-assembly-new-oem-181223062-181223200/
Can you suggest an appropriate bar and chain?
One post on here suggested that it needed to be narrow kerf and others have specified a Oregon 160GLGK041 and 20BPX 66DL or LPX chain (which is not narrow kerf).
Yours confused...
I have .325 on my 4300, I would recommend the new Husqvarna SP33G chain for that saw, it is narrow kerf, .325 and has bumpers, but they don't, hold it back, its also semi chizzel so stays sharp a little longer and is less prone to knocking the corner of the tooth back.
Stihl now make a chain in .325 that is full chizzel and narrow kerf, but a lot of places do not stock it, its a great cutter, can't recall the code for it though.
That clutch drum should fit your saw, the exact same one fits the EA5000 makita and its Dolmar cousin, grease the clutch bearing before fitting, and make sure
you put all back in the same order it came apart, there is a small shim that I don't remember where it fits, but it needs to be in the right place, and a larger washer that has to face the correct way and then the circle clip.
Here is a few chains to compare on the 4300 / Dolmar 420

Back