Makita/Dolmar EA4300 PS421 alternate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick update:....

Please sanity check the following... I plan to get a 0.325 rim drive -I assume this is just a case of changing the clutch cover & rim drive assembly (?)
https://www.sawagain.com/dolmar-ps-...procket-assembly-new-oem-181223062-181223200/
Can you suggest an appropriate bar and chain?
One post on here suggested that it needed to be narrow kerf and others have specified a Oregon 160GLGK041 and 20BPX 66DL or LPX chain (which is not narrow kerf).
Yours confused...
I have the small bore variant the Dolmaar 351, shares the same parts sheet. There is a sort of fender washer to use when using the small 7 spline rim drive clutch drum from the 50cc model which I assume is what you put a link to. I think the washer is less than one mm thick. I could take a picture of it and measure if you end up getting that part. It has been a long time since it was covered here. It has a part number as I recall. And the Stihl 3690 chain also called 23rspro I believe is superior to that husky stuff in my opinion. there is a guy selling it on ebay now in 66,72 and 78 drive link loops. 2, 5 or 10 per listing.

is a rim conversion possible in 3/8 lopro?

3/8 lopro is the hot setup for the 420, imo. And I'm needing a new drive for my 420.

it's a smooth little chain

If that rim drive fits on your EA4300F please let me know as I would like to purchase one for my saw.
A while back I ordered a rim drive for a 4300, thinking that it would work on a EA4300F, but that was not the case as it didn't have the clutch drum protrusions.
I'd run a 16" bar .325 with a 7 pin rim if given the choice. Until I can get a new sprocket, I'm sticking with a Stihl 3/8" RS Pico chain.
The clutch drum posted above is the correct one for .325 chain, here is a video of the difficult to find
Micro Chizzel .325 narrow kerf chain by Stihl, I can't get it here so bought some Husqvarna SP33G semi chizzel that works great for me,
its narrow kerf and I run a 15 inch / 38cm bar, I could be wrong but is the 16 inch in .325 an odd tooth count or am I thinking stihl 16 inch bars.

If that rim drive fits on your EA4300F please let me know as I would like to purchase one for my saw.
A while back I ordered a rim drive for a 4300, thinking that it would work on a EA4300F, but that was not the case as it didn't have the clutch drum protrusions.
I'd run a 16" bar .325 with a 7 pin rim if given the choice. Until I can get a new sprocket, I'm sticking with a Stihl 3/8" RS Pico chain.
That small spline drum from Saw suppliers would need a thin washer to bridge a hollow in the small spline central portion on the inside. Hardly thicker than shim stock. So thin I forgot to take it out one time when I put the spur back. Mine is Dolmar branded not sure about your numbering.

Back