makita dsc6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logrunner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Makita 6401 with 84cc jug, 150 compression, fouls plug immediately with smoke coming out the exhaust when trying to start. Never attempts to fire. It has spark according to the tester and the air filter off at this time. I have not pulled the exhaust but if it never tries to fire, why. I had a post earlier that the welsh plug was out by the needle valve and I installed a new carb. I've never seen anything like this and wouldn't you know trying to repair for my best friend and usually, I always fix whatever is in front of me. Don't really want to take the new carb apart but. Hopefully, someone knows the answer and thanks for any help.

It's likely that you have so much mix in the crankcase that you'll just keep fouling plugs.

Remove the plug and crunk it a few times upside down while holding the throttle wide open. Leave it sit overnight ... when you try next time, leave the choke off in case it still has too much mix in the crankcase... hopefully that makes sense.

It's likely that you have so much mix in the crankcase that you'll just keep fouling plugs.

Remove the plug and crunk it a few times upside down while holding the throttle wide open. Leave it sit overnight ... when you try next time, leave the choke off in case it still has too much mix in the crankcase... hopefully that makes sense.

This is good advice. Occasionally my 6401/7901 conversion will be tough to restart (getting too much fuel). Sometimes it won't rev up until the rich condition clears.

Back