Makita EA3601...the most intriguing saw to date?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a bit anemic at first but it seems to be waking up nicely. I'm going to use it for firewood duty today and see what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reed strato air intake path opens before the intake port and gets air flowing into the transfers. They want this flow to go up to the transfer area and then down the long path by the exhaust port to the case, but that long path would not be enough to flow the charge to the cylinder. So they added an additional flow path from the case to the cylinder, and the second set of reeds to close that path on intake prevent the strato air flow from short circuiting into the case. They get a long, narrow path for the strato air flow and a short path through the intake port for the fuel/air, and then a short path with good volume to push the charge into the cylinder.

I still don't see any performance advantages over the piston ported strato on something like a GZ4000, and it's more mechanically complicated with now 2 sets of reeds (piston ported strato has no additional moving parts). It would be interesting to see what port timing they used though, as that might give more clues.

The videos certainly don't indicate that they've found some advantage - it rarely gets above 8400rpm in soft/small wood.

Does this use the A041 pattern bars?

29232636f4cdbe526042dd5467e9785a.jpg

The reed strato air intake path opens before the intake port and gets air flowing into the transfers. They want this flow to go up to the transfer area and then down the long path by the exhaust port to the case, but that long path would not be enough to flow the charge to the cylinder. So they added an additional flow path from the case to the cylinder, and the second set of reeds to close that path on intake prevent the strato air flow from short circuiting into the case. They get a long, narrow path for the strato air flow and a short path through the intake port for the fuel/air, and then a short path with good volume to push the charge into the cylinder.

I still don't see any performance advantages over the piston ported strato on something like a GZ4000, and it's more mechanically complicated with now 2 sets of reeds (piston ported strato has no additional moving parts). It would be interesting to see what port timing they used though, as that might give more clues.

The videos certainly don't indicate that they've found some advantage - it rarely gets above 8400rpm in soft/small wood.

Chris I think the advantage is that is getting intake for the entire upstroke as opposed to the piston ported stratos.
And I was pushing the saw pretty hard. I want to seat the rings good before I start modding it.
I'll take some more video today with @sosridgerider, he is bringing his dollar 421 to compare with it.

Long time ago. . . but enough time for updates :D
Does anyone have something to share about Makita EA3600/EA3601 or Dolmar PS-352?

Back