Makita EA3601...the most intriguing saw to date?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
166 posted some videos he made of one of these saws, I will try to post them here in the morning.

I'm going to run this one a bit and report back with my thoughts. I have a nearly new echo cs-400 to run it against as well so should be interesting

Appreciate the write up.

It must come with a clean air index tag. What is the score?
Unless I missed it the anti vibe did not get covered yet.
Does it look like a rim drive set up will fit like on the 351/421?
It has spur drive now and i didnt look into swapping. I was interested in the engine and how the reed setup worked.

AS 002.jpg AS 003.jpg AS 004.jpg AS 005.jpg

Very nice write up.

I had tried to buy one of these over the winter and was told they had not passed US emissions yet. Very cool they are now available.

I think I know what my next saw will be. :D

Very nice write up.

I had tried to buy one of these over the winter and was told they had not passed US emissions yet. Very cool they are now available.

I think I know what my next saw will be. :D
I just took it out for its first spin....I dont think anyone that buys one will be disappointed

Hard to find much online. I assume you sell them, dont see any others for sale....
Russ

I can imagine it has plenty of power.

FWIW it's little brother the PS-32 spanked the Echo CS-352 stock for stock using the same bar and chain. With the Echo de-catted it runs a little stronger than the stock 32.

I can see this one being the king of the sub 40 class.

I enjoyed the review.:) This saw has some unusual design features.
I don't understand the aversion to outboard clutches.
Did you weigh the saw?

If you ever get the chance Nate. Like to see a PHO dry weight. ;)
didnt take a pic but already checked it.

35.2cc
2.3hp
advertised 9.3lbs

actual dry weight with no B&C on my scale=9.4lbs

not sure what list or MAP pricing is. To keep from getting myself in trouble i will say $290 +/-

I don't understand the aversion to outboard clutches.
I dont like outboard for several reasons,

1. chip flow is generally worse than an inboard especially when noodling
2. harder to clean up clutch cover and case
3. with a rim setup its harder to install B&C
4. if pinched is is almost impossible to remove the B&C

there are pluses to outboard but i cant think of a single one that i care about. #1 and 2 are the most important to me

that being said. on small saws like this most of those reasons dont matter since you dont do extensive noodling with a 35cc saw and they generally have spur drive setups instead of rim, if you pinch the bar its on a 4" limb that can be man handled to get unstuck so that only leaves #2 which is just a minor inconvenience.

The clean air index is on a sticker on the box. No wonder I do not see tags with strings in retail settings.

The anti vibe in the pictures looks very much like the set up on my Stihl ms251 which works good but really lets you know if it is forced when something else must make contact.

The clean air index is on a sticker on the box. No wonder I do not see tags with strings in retail settings.

The anti vibe in the pictures looks very much like the set up on my Stihl ms251 which works good but really lets you know if it is forced when something else must make contact.
they are also attached to the saws with a piece of string or ribbon but the tag is just a slip of paper with no reinforcement around the hole so half the time it already torn off the saw just from movement during shipping. Kids also think its fun to pull them off so if they do make it to my shelves with the tag still intact they usually dont last long

Back