makita ea4300f/dolmar 421 tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
just bought a turquoise 4300 as amazon had 24% off. its the same as the dolmar 421. i'll gut the cat and richen it up, but want to know if it needs any more holes in the muffler (and how much?)? And does it benefit from a timing advance? if so, how much off the key? 10 thou? 20? thanks

snigger. i thought you might raise an eyebrow. considered it but wanted a small saw with more chain speed to complement the 365 which comes out for the big stuff. running that more than usual and...well...the ms180 is great but..you know...its not great. So when i saw amazon with 24% off the 4300 with 15" bar i had to. should be able to get half what i paid for the stihl back quite easily so the upgrade will cost under £200

You don't need any more or larger holes in the muffler outlet.
I gutted the mufflers of two of mine, one I took out the cat and the plate the cat
is welded onto, this had the effect of needing a little too much fuel to keep the saw
from running too high in the revs, so that saw needs to be let sit until it is as hot as
a sitting saw gets, so when cutting it reaches a temperature high enough to burn clean.
i use it for cutting logs into rings in the yard, that way its flat out most of the time and does
a good job.
Its identical twin, I just cut the spot welds holding the cat off and left the plate the cat was
welded too in place, there is a hole in this plate which restricts the muffler, which keeps up
back pressure, that saw is easier to tune, no need to have a tad too much fuel going in
to her to keep the engine from reaching too high an rpm, I use that saw for cutting down trees
and limbing, as running it at differing rpm and allowing it to idle while lifting bushes and walking around
the tree does not result in any un-burnt fuel dripping out the muffler, there is none to do this as the saw stays
at a safe high rpm without having to over fuel it.

Now if your also porting the saw, then that tad of extra fuel required to keep the saw from over revving
if you remove the complete plate and cat, will not be a problem as your porting will allow more air to get
into the engine which will burn that slight smidge of fuel.
The saw with the plate and cat removed is also a good bit noisier, and may draw some unwanted comments.

I bought one to replace my small Stihl homeowner grade saws for limbing and light cutting.
Removed the cat and left it at that. Tweaked the carb adjustments slightly and put a Still pico chisel chain on it.

AHH, I was beginning to wonder why I couldn't find stuff on opening the muffler further... It's not worth it beyond the cat. Ok, good to know.

Had anybody tried a timing advance by shaving the flywheel key? Again I've not found anything but thought this was a fairly common mod on many saws, Stihl at least

I bought one to replace my small Stihl homeowner grade saws for limbing and light cutting.
Removed the cat and left it at that. Tweaked the carb adjustments slightly and put a Still pico chisel chain on it.
Likewise, it is an upgrade on my ms180. That's a good little saw, but as I said to Philbert, running my 365 more recently and going back to the little stihl for the small stuff leaves a feeling of disappointment after the big saw. So I had been idly browsing an upgrade for a few weeks. The deal was then impossible to pass over.

Have heard of them being modded, but no one mentioned moving the timing, so am guessing its not required at all.
Mine are all .325 narrow kerf, 38cm/64 links, I put that new Husqvarna SP33G chain on them, ,it is a good chain, slightly longer cutters so you get a bit more out of them, they work well for the transverse cut too,
unlike the chain that comes with them, which are fine after the first sharpening.
This is the best one I have seen going,
, even using the stock chain.
This one only has a muffler mod,
Too bad Makita / Dolmar are stopping production of Gas saws.

For a little saw, they have a torquey powercurv, as evidenced in those vids.

makita/dolmar has always been kind of like Suzuki; remarkable engineering and construction backed up by a totally underwhelming marketing department.
And they have now added fuel injection to the suzuki 400cc atv, that really brings them up to the mark, the carb was fine, but
for people taking an atv to various altitudes now they won't have to worry about tune.
My father bought a new suzuki liana, a small car with a fair bit of space for its size, it has outlasted two
diesel passat cars an audi diesel and a bmw diesel all owned by my sister, from breaking drives to flywheels becoming un-laminated
to running out of power, they all had to be replaced, yet she couldn't break the suzuki, which put up more miles than any of them, hard to believe.

Thanks whinbush/gents. Looks like I should just drill out the spot welds , remove the cat, richen slightly then BbbrraaaaAAAAAAAPPPPP! And enjoy
Thats what I would do, use a 4-6mm bit to get started, then as wide a bit as possible to cut out as
much weld as possible without actually going deep or through the plate.
The worst part is removing the welds that actually hold the cat in place on the plate, they are hard,
if you have burning gear or plasma that would be a big help, or a stick welder turned up high enough
to burn through the welds, it just obliterates them.

Couple photos of the baffle I made for my saw. Easy to do on a plasma table. Wish all the dolmar/makita mufflers were this easy to mod.

Attachments

• D71B00DA-CADF-4968-BE71-1A94F1CFC111.jpeg
    D71B00DA-CADF-4968-BE71-1A94F1CFC111.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 1A1940C1-FB75-45B7-8173-62D3307A2864.jpeg
    1A1940C1-FB75-45B7-8173-62D3307A2864.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 4A2792CE-51D3-4D6D-A863-80A53015F5E9.jpeg
    4A2792CE-51D3-4D6D-A863-80A53015F5E9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 4FE5EDE1-CAE2-4C3E-9ED8-B37F58A3E710.jpeg
    4FE5EDE1-CAE2-4C3E-9ED8-B37F58A3E710.jpeg