Makita saw troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostchild

Reaction score
Greetings from a noob to the forums here.

I'm having trouble with my Makita saw. It's worked fine all spring and summer, with use just about once a week...that is until yesterday.

Couldn't get it to fire at all. Messed around with it for a good 15 minutes or so and finally got it to run. It ran for about 1 minute and shut itself off. Pulled the spark plug and it looked pretty worn so I went and replaced that. Took apart the air cleaner and cleaned a good deal of sawdust out of it. Put it all back together and got absolutely nothing. I let it sit for a good hour thinking it was flooded, but still no luck.

And the very peculiar thing is that now, when I pull the cord, the chain moves. The engine doesn't even kick over or try to start at all. I was told that on certain saws when the chain brake is engaged while starting, the chain will move like that, but I double and triple checked that, and the brake is definitely off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The saw will be hard to start if the clutch ~ sprocket are messed up and the chain is turning. Either the clutch has a broken spring or the sprocket bearing is gummed up or broke, One last thing it could be is something wound on the crank between the oil pump and the sprocket. What model saw are you talking about?

Scott

The saw will be hard to start if the clutch ~ sprocket are messed up and the chain is turning. Either the clutch has a broken spring or the sprocket bearing is gummed up or broke, One last thing it could be is something wound on the crank between the oil pump and the sprocket. What model saw are you talking about?

Scott

It's an 18" but I can't think of the model number off the top of my head....I'll check tonight and let you know.

Back