Mall Model 7 Carburetor Trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering who is familiar with these carbs? Since new floats are not available, I coated them again so that the new fuel will not ruin them. My trouble is that I am struggling to get the saw to idle, and i have a feeling it is float related. Are there any standard settings to adjust the float to, especially considering it has a spring assisted widget underneath the float rod to assist. Any help would be appreciated, it starts and runs but it will not idle nice like my Model 6 (with a re-coated float as well.) Lo-speed adjust on the carb will not remedy the problem. Ignition is also in A-1 shape (blue lightning).

All the float does is maintain a certain level of fuel in the carb fuel bowl, if it is set at the correct height it will not affect idle. If the needle and seat is not sealing correctly then the carb can flood and that will affect idle. Otherwise the size of the idle jet and a adjustable jet screw will determine the amount of fuel to the engine at idle given if the amount of air passing the butterfly is correct.
Pioneerguy600

I
I'm thinking the floats are not as bouyant.....

Adjust the floats a little beyond what hte book says

I dont have a book.....They are kind of hard to come by. Do you have one? I have been searching for one for a while, posted in the "beg for manuals" and came up with nothing.

I didnt have much trouble with my DA-211 because i have the books, but these malls are trial by fire for me because of nothing to reference when i have a question.

I know I have to clean my carb every year before I run it or it won't run right. Seams like the upsidedown inlet "needle" will leak easily if it is not very clean. Maybe yours is worn and can't hold a seal. My saw is a model 7. If I clean it, it will run and idle great, if I don't, it won't.
Scott

Your are way ahead of me if you have a running Mall. I have a Mall with a float carb but the rewind doesn't work and that is as far as I have gotten with it. I don't know if the thing will even try to run or if it even has spark.

Sorry I am not of any help.

These things sure are finnicky, but they are not hard at all to get running, but tricky to run like the day they rolled off the line. My 6 is there, but got a ways to go with the 7. The ignitions are pretty solid, points file is about all it usually takes to get hot spark. The carb floats will most definately need to be coated, as soon as the new fuel hits em they start discenigrating around the rod clips.

These things take a lot of hours to return them to cutting condition too, both of mine that run had a total tranny disassembly and wash with new fluid. I like to take em down to bare block and re-assemble. Dont get me started on some of the farmer repairs i have found on these saws.:bang:

Your are way ahead of me if you have a running Mall. I have a Mall with a float carb but the rewind doesn't work and that is as far as I have gotten with it. I don't know if the thing will even try to run or if it even has spark.

Sorry I am not of any help.

Ax-dude, if you have a Mall 7, just remove the recoil and use a rope!
After it's warmed-up, to refire and cut some more,use your foot!

Last edited:
Ax-dude, if you have a Mall 7, just remove the recoil and use a rope!
After it's warmed-up, to refire and cut some more,use your foot!

Or a ol IH Cub tractor with a belt pulley :)

Ive had 3 people tell me about this method to start their old Malls back on the farms. haha

The kick-start method works, I've done it many times. The crowd at our show gives a big cheer when they see it start so easy.
Scott

Back