Man cut off own head with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbgorecom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A man cut off his head with a chainsaw because he did not want to leave his repossessed home.

By Charlotte Bailey
Last Updated: 7:05PM GMT 20 Nov 2008

David Phyall, 50, carried out the carefully planned suicide in his housing association flat in Bishopstoke, Hampshire, in July this year.

An inquest at Winchester coroner's court heard that Mr Phyall tied the Black & Decker tool to a leg of a snooker table in his lounge, taped up the on-button and plugged it into a timer.

Mr Phyall, who had consumed a small quantity of alcohol but no drugs, then lay down under the snooker table face up and placed the chainsaw against his neck. A piece of the tool's cardboard box initially cushioned the blades from his neck.

The hearing heard that the timer, which is usually used to turn lights on and off, was fixed to start up the chainsaw for 15 minutes.

When it activated, it sliced three-quarters through his neck and across into his right shoulder only stopping from a complete severing when his t-shirt was dragged into the blades.

His elderly parents John and Jean Phyall raised the alarm when they could not contact their son on July 5 this year.

Police were called and, when they arrived, found Mr Phyall in the lounge with blood spattering the walls, floor and a cabinet.

Sergeant Mark Carter said: "The electric chainsaw was embedded in his neck. The blade was approximately three quarters through his neck."

The hearing heard that the block where Mr Phyall had his flat was to be demolished and despite great efforts from his housing association, he had refused 11 offers of alternative accommodation. Eventually it had gone to court to repossess the property.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Burge said First Wessex Housing Group had done all they could to help Mr Phyall but he was "irrationally opposed to moving".

He said: "It is an appalling way to take one's life but that is what happened in this case.

"He thought through how he was going to commit suicide very carefully. He went to a great deal of trouble.

"I think he did it to draw attention to the injustice of his situation."

Tough way to go. should have used a stihl
jbgorecom

+1 for natural selection.

Also one of the messier suicides. And you thought a firearm made a mess!

Man, the housing market really is dead.

The hearing heard that the block where Mr Phyall had his flat was to be demolished and despite great efforts from his housing association, he had refused 11 offers of alternative accommodation. Eventually it had gone to court to repossess the property.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Burge said First Wessex Housing Group had done all they could to help Mr Phyall but he was "irrationally opposed to moving".

Housing association property is affordable rented property for those on low incomes. it wasn't even his flat! :censored: there's some funny buggers about. well, one less now ...

darwin.jpg

Approves.

Personally, I don't think it's something to lose one's head over.

*rimshot*

Effective British gun control

Good thing he wasn't permitted to have a handgun. He might have shot himself. Fortunately, intelligent British legislation prevented an unneccessary death-Oh wait------

BAN I say...

BAN all man killing chainsaws.....save the world.
It is the saws fault.
This vicious chainsaw obviously attacked this kind sweet man.
Everyone that knew the saw thought it was a little weird.
All the saws fault.
Sue the manufacture out of business.
Evil chainsaws are made only to kill innocent people!!!
Wait until the gangsawyers catch on with this.
Killing hundreds of innocents all because of an evil chainsaw.
Drive by chainsaw attacks. Probably in an evil SUV that contributes to NEVER been man made global warming too boot.

This idiot will make the Darwin awards, and the sad part is he probably could have worked it out with the bank to not lose his house.
Did lose his head though....

Is there a reason this thread is in this forum? It is a thread that should be in the off topic forum if even there.

Bill

I put this thread in here because it was about chainsaws, and how dangerous they can be. If anyone was offended, or was not supposed to be here, then by all means move it. If I come up with another one, where should I put it, besides that real dark spot. Even though this was a horrific story, the members where having a little fun, which in these hard times is fine with me.

jbgorecom:agree2: :agree2:

The worst part is that it was a black and decker electric saw.

WHAT A LONG SLOW HORRIBLE DEATH!!!

Latest posts

Back