I bought my dad a chainsaw for his 85th birthday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahdodgegeek

The shirt lady
Reaction score
It all started when he had come up to our house last summer after we had a lot of tree damage from a storm. He brought his Craftsman POS. After watching him struggle to start it - let me elaborate - he has a piece of plywood with several hooks in it that he attaches the saw to, then proceeds to pull the air cleaner off to shoot ether in, while he rips & tears on the pull chord like an angry gorrilla, only to not have any luck starting it. He gave up the chainsaw and started to use a bow saw - which, by the way, he is quite skilled with. At the end of the day, he had asked if my husband, Andydodgegeek, would take a look at it to see if it could be "fixed up".

I'm not sure they were actually out of the driveway yet when Andy said 'We're buying him a new saw- I'm not even wasting my time working on this thing.'

We paid a visit to our local Stihl dealer and checked out the MS180c with the easy start option. When the salesman saw Andy with the saw, he said 'A big guy like you will rip that chord right out of that saw.' That's when we informed him it was a gift for my 85 year old father. He said, 'Perfect'. WOW, is that saw ever easy to start! I enjoyed running it the last few months to get it broken in for him prior to the birthday party.

Yesterday was the big day. I gift wrapped a small bottle of Stihl HP Ultra, and handed it to him at the dinner table. He opened it, and said 'Great- motor oil' with a confused look on his face. I explained that the family had gone in together to get his old saw fixed up. His eyes lit up... We brought him outside, opened the trunk, and he looked at me with an expression that said, "That's not my chainsaw". Ah, but it is! He could not believe his eyes. He was like a kid in a candy store. They live in the metro area and have a city park in their back yard. Immediately he wanted to cut down the 3 spruce trees in his front yard (much to the dismay of my mother). After he was shot down on cutting the trees in the front yard, he decided to go back out in the park where he found an 8 inch dead elm tree, and proceeded to butcher it. The rest is history.

I've given my dad a lot of presents over the years... but never have I seen his eyes light up as I did for his birthday yesterday.
Doesn't matter if you're young or old. Who doesn't love a chainsaw?

Excellent choice

You must be a great daughter. Glad you guys could help him out. A lot of older people (men especially) dont want to stop doing manly things like cutting wood. You did more than give him a new saw, you gave him some of his youth back.
The first stihl I bought was a ms180cbe. It was much better than the craftsman the inlaws bought me. I sure cut a lot of wood with it. Finally parted with it because after I got a bigger saw and didnt use it much it didnt wanna run.
All i gotta say is there's an older guy in his eighties that plain wore out 2 ms180s by melting the cylinder. It was the right size for him to cut firewood with and he used it hard all day. Got it too hot and ruined it more than once. But it enabled him to do what he enjoyed.

Wishing your dad many hours of fun. We all wanna be that kid in the candy store.:msp_biggrin:

Great story. I figured you'd get him a Dolmar like yours with the Happy Start easy start system. I have to spread it around somemore before I can rep you again.

Great story!!!!!

"Immediately he wanted to cut down the 3 spruce trees in his front yard (much to the dismay of my mother)." - That's classic stuff right there. :rock:

Very good, Sarah. Enjoy your Father, he is a gift from God, on loan, and subject to recall at anytime.

My Dad's gone, he celebrated his 5 birthday with our GOD this past December. I have pics of the 2 acre garden he grew when he was 85, a few months before he suffered his first light stroke that was the beginning of the end. You Dad sounds just like mine: fiercely independent and determined to keep his manliness alive. Good for you for helping make that happen.

It all started when he had come up to our house last summer after we had a lot of tree damage from a storm. He brought his Craftsman POS. After watching him struggle to start it - let me elaborate - he has a piece of plywood with several hooks in it that he attaches the saw to, then proceeds to pull the air cleaner off to shoot ether in, while he rips & tears on the pull chord like an angry gorrilla, only to not have any luck starting it. He gave up the chainsaw and started to use a bow saw - which, by the way, he is quite skilled with. At the end of the day, he had asked if my husband, Andydodgegeek, would take a look at it to see if it could be "fixed up".

I'm not sure they were actually out of the driveway yet when Andy said 'We're buying him a new saw- I'm not even wasting my time working on this thing.'

We paid a visit to our local Stihl dealer and checked out the MS180c with the easy start option. When the salesman saw Andy with the saw, he said 'A big guy like you will rip that chord right out of that saw.' That's when we informed him it was a gift for my 85 year old father. He said, 'Perfect'. WOW, is that saw ever easy to start! I enjoyed running it the last few months to get it broken in for him prior to the birthday party.

Yesterday was the big day. I gift wrapped a small bottle of Stihl HP Ultra, and handed it to him at the dinner table. He opened it, and said 'Great- motor oil' with a confused look on his face. I explained that the family had gone in together to get his old saw fixed up. His eyes lit up... We brought him outside, opened the trunk, and he looked at me with an expression that said, "That's not my chainsaw". Ah, but it is! He could not believe his eyes. He was like a kid in a candy store. They live in the metro area and have a city park in their back yard. Immediately he wanted to cut down the 3 spruce trees in his front yard (much to the dismay of my mother). After he was shot down on cutting the trees in the front yard, he decided to go back out in the park where he found an 8 inch dead elm tree, and proceeded to butcher it. The rest is history.

I've given my dad a lot of presents over the years... but never have I seen his eyes light up as I did for his birthday yesterday.
Doesn't matter if you're young or old. Who doesn't love a chainsaw?

Sarah,your father is very blessed to have a daughter such as you.

Great read, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my grandfather who's about the same age. Getting too old to use most of his toys now, but will never give them up!

Sarahs dad (my father in law) is a great guy, damn good shape for 85 years. I thought it was cool to be giving him a chainsaw for a 85th birthday present. I cant imagine lots of people his age wanting a new chainsaw. I hope that if I make it to that age I can still run a saw. My grandpa was about the same way and my dad who is 75 still runs his saws nearly daily and he uses big ones (362, 660, 075, 084 with 41" bar). Heck I know alot of people in their 30's that would be afraid to run the old 075 with a 33" bar on it, but I think its one of my dads favorites. (Mine too!)

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I am really glad I found this site, making lots of new friends. I quit drinking may 14, 2010 and had to stop hanging with my old boozin friends (which meant I really didnt have any friends left) now I feel I have more friends than ever even though I may not ever physically meet some of you but I am glad to be able to chat with you all here.

:msp_thumbsup::bowdown::rock::blob2:

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I am really glad I found this site, making lots of new friends. I quit drinking may 14, 2010 and had to stop hanging with my old boozin friends (which meant I really didnt have any friends left) now I feel I have more friends than ever even though I may not ever physically meet some of you but I am glad to be able to chat with you all here.

i quit when my youngest daughter was a baby. she's 28 now. sometimes still want a brew or scotch or turkey or wine or .... but then i remember what a lousy person i sometimes was when i drank. then i just move on. don't bother me for others to drink around me. sometimes its real entertaining. glad you're on AS too.

I quit smoking pot for the same reason years ago when I got out of college. I had lost all of my friends and was smart enough to realize that I was headed down the wrong path before it was too late. Because of the internet I have made many friends that produce maple syrup like I do. I belong to a couple of maple forums and have met many fellow maple producers through them. You're in good company here. Although I haven't met any of you yet I can tell that there are may good people here on AS.

Just sent you some Good Daughter Rep. My daughter never bought me a chainsaw-I guess she thought I was taking care of that department more than enough for myself. She was, however, the one who bought me my first full set of PPG.

thats awsome! i know how he feels, i got my first saw for christmas (stihl 210) and was as eqaully excited, and look at me and that saw now, i got more money in modding it than the whole saws worth:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back