Manitoba Maple stumps and shoots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasana

Reaction score
I cut down a number of large Manitoba Maples from around my house a few years ago. The stumps are about 6 to 8 inches above the surface. They are growing shoots from them that I have to keep trimmed. Also, there are stumps from trees that grew near my foundations and they also continue to grow shoots. How can I get rid of them without trying to burn them out? I can't afford to hire a stump grinder. Thanks.

The cheapest way is probably Roundup. It must be sprayed on the leaves to be effective. Tree stumps might require more than one treatment to kill completely. There are other more potent herbicides available, but most are made for commercial use only. i.e. Garlon 4E, Rodeo
You can only buy them in gallon or 2.5 gallon containers, more than most homeowners need and very expensive.
You might also try calling a landscaper or tree service that does spraying.

For as much effort and cost as it would take, you might be better off checking stump grinding prices once more. I have heard lots of people say that they can't afford stump grinding till they actually get a firm price. Depending on where you are, it may not be as much as you think.

The cheapest price I got on the stump grinding / removal was $500.00. That's more than I want to spend to get rid of them all. Even to get rid of the four smaller ones (including the ones growing out of my foundations) is about $350.00. A bit too steep for my budget. Thanks for replying though.

Back