Getting a Stump to Rot Quickly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Woods

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a blue spruce die last year from the needlecast disease. I felled it and removed and cut the stump down as low as possible, digging around it a bit in order to get my saw really low. I then buried my bar straight down into the stump at a few places and also drilled several holes in it. I am trying to get it to rot. The theory is that these cuts and holes will fill with rain and debris and bugs, and eventually rot the stump down. The stump is about 24 inch diameter, and gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight during summer, and about 6 hours in winter.

Any guesses for how long this will take to rot the stump down? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Add nitrogen down the holes? Cover in mulch?

I do not want to burn it out because it is close to the house. I attempted to chain it to my truck to uproot it before cutting it off so low, but it would not budge.

Pour nitrogen fertilizer on it/urea and cover it up with mulch. It won't be gone overnight that way ......or dig out around it and have a good bonfire, get a roast taters and a keg. Friends to throw on more wood all night.

I've watched YouTube videos on this. Guys have had varying degrees of success with different methods. All of them use a drill to drill quite a few holes into the stump, and then pour/place different chemicals into the holes. Most guys then try to place firewood etc. over the stump and have the fire around the stump aid in trying to burn the stump itself. From what I've seen it still takes a few years for the stump to disappear completely.

I had a blue spruce die last year from the needlecast disease. I felled it and removed and cut the stump down as low as possible, digging around it a bit in order to get my saw really low. I then buried my bar straight down into the stump at a few places and also drilled several holes in it. I am trying to get it to rot. The theory is that these cuts and holes will fill with rain and debris and bugs, and eventually rot the stump down. The stump is about 24 inch diameter, and gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight during summer, and about 6 hours in winter.

Any guesses for how long this will take to rot the stump down? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Add nitrogen down the holes? Cover in mulch?

I do not want to burn it out because it is close to the house. I attempted to chain it to my truck to uproot it before cutting it off so low, but it would not budge.
How close is it,to,your house? Burning it doesn’t cause a non fire but rather smolders it to ash…

80A6A90E-8307-4E56-8BD3-125A52A412BE.jpeg

I've watched YouTube videos on this. Guys have had varying degrees of success with different methods. All of them use a drill to drill quite a few holes into the stump, and then pour/place different chemicals into the holes. Most guys then try to place firewood etc. over the stump and have the fire around the stump aid in trying to burn the stump itself. From what I've seen it still takes a few years for the stump to disappear completely.
Something like this to start......bonfire 3.JPG

That one was only a little bitty bon-fire. Fall of 1988, we/north east had freak 20" of snow when trees were still leafed out, crap down all over........... I made a pile 2-3 times as big, 15' tall, then added another 2 years worth on top after it settled some. Had to park the truck next to pile to be able to throw more on top.........

I touched that one off, when we still had snow one the ground, my friends beagle was chasing flaming rabbits across the field........this was pre-cell phone picture days, should have got a few 35mm shots.

There have been fires started days or ?weeks later from roots smoldering back through the ground , then hit air and "flame on" If you have an old house with limestone rock foundation you could create a problem. One fire call was an old barn a week after he burned old hay in a feed lot he had a fire and called the Vol. F D a few days later he had another fire and came home to no barn or hay. Chances are slim but being aware is worth a lot for prevention.
I haven't tried this but if you bored an x or sectioned out the root flares from the heart out but do your best to not hit dirt you might strip the stump from the heart out after a summer of decay.
A LOT OF WORK but
The movie SHANE (Alan Ladd) pops up in my mind and towards the end of the movie Shane and the Dad double timed the axes to get rid of the tree stump in their front yard.. Then he rode off into the Sunset..
If you choose this Procedure Post some pictures 'Cuz there are a few spectaters here in the peanut gallery that love work and can watch it all day. GOOD LUCK.

It is funny how many have mentioned fire. I am a huge fan of fire in the right spot. Anyone popped the glass out of a hoe feeding a fire. Fun times.......

Stump out is actually Sodium Metabisulphate (if you look up a MSDS for it) sodium meta bisulphate is actaully a food preservative you can buy it in 40lb bags and it will last years. I have drilled 1/2 a dozen 1" holes in stumps (about a foot to foot and 1/2) and left them for 3- 6 months. With the help of moisture in the holes it gets sucked into the root structure and destroys the lignin in the stump and roots. I then did around the stump and the roots are like balsa wood (one swipe with an axe will often cut a 2-3" root). nce I have cut a few roots I stick a heavy steel bar down a hole in the stump to rock it and they usually break free quite easily.

Just think of what that is doing to your body when used as it's intended purpose

Thank you everyone. I like the fire ideas, but this stump is too close to the house, specifically my wooden deck. One of the posters discussed how roots can smolder for weeks, which I have heard of as well. The roots of this stump absolutely go under the deck. I know I could probably keep it under control and be fine, but fire is out for me. I do not mind waiting longer. I do not have access to a stump grinder either, unfortunately.

At this point I am planning on letting it rot and facilitating it rotting as quickly as possible. My boys love peeing in the holes I cut, and I guess I am content letting this play out. Just curious how long it will take. Two years? Longer? Not sure. I may add some store-bought nitrogen as well. Some of the stump-b-gone products are just potassium-nitrate, which is fancy nitrogen, which is more or less what my little boys are peeing every day, for free. So there is that.

Has anyone ever used mushrooms or other fungi to remove logs? Any suggestions?

All joking aside you can have your kids pee on it all you want. Will it help I do not know but if you want it gone just pony about a few bucks and pay a guy/gal to grind it. As I said above I have tossed
away a lot of money and many times it is chasing the perceived savings that in the end I lose and I end up spending anyway. Think about this how many folks have spent countless hours and money on a vehicle trying to save a penny when in the end you have to pay someone anyway. I have a very funny story about a 1986 Dodge 600 if anyone is interested.

Here is what I would do and I want to be clear I can ONLY speak to my local area. Here a 24" spruce stump is a no brainer. I would call a couple tree services and get a bid on grinding it. since it is such a small job some may not want to bid it or bid it high because it is so small. If that is the case simply keep an eye out for a tree service working near you on a job. Stop by and tell them what you got. You might be surprised at what they will do for you "on the way home" for a bit of weekend cash. I have had many a tree taken down from our rental properties by true tree professionals by giving them a wide window of opportunity hence "when you are near".I am not talking fly by night guys I am talking real pros and it has been very reasonable. You accommodate them they accommodate you and both folks win. You get the job done and you pay an honest man a honest wage to support his family. That money stays local and it is a win.

Now I do not like throwing dollar numbers out there as EVERYONES area is different but here a 24" softwood stump would be $100-$200 and that is money WELL spent to me.

Just a random thought

i use one of these for stump removal, much faster than rotting away. It sucks for long distance moves though.
img.axd

i use one of these for stump removal, much faster than rotting away. It sucks for long distance moves though.
img.axd
My brother has a couple Deere ones about that size and a mini along with a Deere 550 and 700 crawlers. They work well but as you noted tough on a distance move as well as on sewer and drain lines. Down here it is not uncommon to have a septic only 18-24 inches. Our frostline is 48" so you see alot of drain/sewer not very deep. The ole "orange" was king and has a short life under that machine

Back