Manual pole saw? Infrequent use, but long-term ownership

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I'm not actually a homeowner, but my dad was just diagnosed with leukemia and is very weak, my parents have a large home and a cottage, both with trees that need to be worked on... luckily for them, I have lots of spare time (unemployed, thanks covid) and I'm happy to learn....
One issue is that there are a bunch of trees that have branches overhanging important things (Car, boat, house). And i was hoping to do some light trimming... I was hoping i could get a suggestion for a telesopic pole saw... I dont think i will be using this saw too frequently, but I would like to buy a higher quality unit that will last a long time, if i only have to use this once or twice a year, fine, but if a higher quality unit will last me 20-30 years vs 5 years, I would rather "buy once, cry once".... I have seen the silky hayauchi (https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/pruning-saws/silky/hayauchi-21-ft-telescoping-pole-saw-xlarge) which looks like a nice unit, but am posting here to ask if there are other suggestions.
I am in Canada, which limits retailers and usually jacks up pricing, but if anyone can give me some advice on what to get, i would really appreciate the info... and don't be surprised if i start asking a bunch of rookie/newbie questions here, I just got a bunch of extra responsibilities dropped on me, and well... lets just say, i'll need to learn A LOT
thanks in advance everyone
Aaron

Welcome to AS. I have the saw you linked to. Same deal, I use it for a half dozen days a year, but want something that will last. I'm very happy with it. They do make a heavier duty version, the Hayate, but I didn't want the extra weight or cost.

I will say that the full length one you are considering is CRAZY long at full extension. I have used it that way, but very infrequently. It gets pretty wobbly and unwieldy. Still effective, but not fun for very many cuts.

Hi Ryan
thanks ffor the reply... to be honest, 21' is longer than I need, and i would expect fully extended to be wobbly for sure. I'll take a loook at the hayate, but thats probably more for a pro.

Hi Ryan
thanks ffor the reply... to be honest, 21' is longer than I need, and i would expect fully extended to be wobbly for sure. I'll take a loook at the hayate, but thats probably more for a pro.
I've been using a Hayate for ten years now. Worth every penny. 21' long lets you get our from under the limb that is about to fall on you! Shop around.

Don't skimp here. Its better to have the reach just in case. The Hayate is what you want. Its not nearly as flexible or wobbly at full extension. Make sure you get the Fox hook with it also.

100% go with the Silky. I dont use mine every day but its better than anything else out there. The blades are $$$ but allegedly sharpenable. I don't know if they ship to Canada but prunerwarehouse.com had the best price I have found on them (that and Wesspur was backordered for long time). Also find a decent hard hat if you get one some times the branches come down pretty quick and or ride the back of the pole, you know, towards your face.

I have two manual pole saws, as I use one quite often. I have a Silky blade (forget exactly which one) that I custom fitted to a cheap homeowner pole outfit for which the original Chinese-made blade proved insufficient. It has something like a 15--16' reach. I also have a Stihl unit that'll reach to 21', that I use only when I can't reach with the Silky. The Stihl blade cuts just fine, but nothing like as well as the Silky.

I actually like working with a manual polesaw. Hours of roaring chainsaw action or feeding a diesel chipper make an hour or two of quiet arm & shoulder work quite welcome. You get to appreciate the woods around you.

Buy Silky, you won't regret it.

They already beat me to it...I was going to suggest if you wanted something other than the Silky Hayauchi that you look to the Hayate!

I've played with an ARS pole saw once, and it wasn't bad. Not a Silky, but not bad. Some also prefer fiberglass poles instead of a telescoping pole saw. Looks like Notch has a telescoping saw with Silky blade: https://www.treestuff.com/notch-sentei-telescoping-aluminum-polesaws/ - but not sure it saves any money. I wouldn't be without my Hayate...but just a few other options.

Welcome to A.S.!

The most important part of a manual pole saw is the blade, In many cases, you can mount a high quality replacement blade on a modest pole saw, and get very good results for what you describe. I like the curved blades with a hook at the end, which helps keep it from slipping out of the cut.

I have used 2 styles: the professional, sectional, fiberglass pole saws (Jameson, Marvin, etc.) which are very sturdy, and let you connect stupid long lengths (beyond what you can reasonably control); and good quality, homeowner, telescoping pole saws (Corona - they make a few different grades), which include a lopper at the end for branches up to about 1" diameter. I currently use a 16' Corona at home, which meets my needs, and is convenient, since you can adjust the length in any increment, which sometimes helps to maneuver in tight spaces.

Rule of thumb: no matter what length you buy, it will always be 1 foot too short! I have used the sectional ones up to about 20, but that is too long.

Philbert

$300 plus for a manual pole saw?!? Y’all are crazy! I don’t remember how much I paid for my fiberglass one 15 years ago but it wasn’t anywhere near that and works the same way it did when new.

The Hayate is way better than fiberglass poles. I've got both. Sure $300 is a lot of money but the quality soon pays for itself. For climbing arborist the telescoping feature means a lot in the tree. It's hard to beat a 12ft. wooden handled pole saw for a lot of uses and that is what I started with. Sectional fiberglass poles at one time were the sign of a well to do arborist.

The Hayate is way better than fiberglass poles. I've got both. Sure $300 is a lot of money but the quality soon pays for itself. For climbing arborist the telescoping feature means a lot in the tree. It's hard to beat a 12ft. wooden handled pole saw for a lot of uses and that is what I started with. Sectional fiberglass poles at one time were the sign of a well to do arborist.
Mine is also telescopic lol.

I was in a big box recently and looking for a pole saw. None to be seen in either the Blue/Orange stores.
I checked at another time, same thing, nothing so I asked a clerk.
They tell me they pulled them all off the shelf a month prior for a recall but not specific about the defect.
I chock it up to sometimes you get exactly what you pay for when you go El-Cheapo...

$300 plus for a manual pole saw?!? Y’all are crazy! I don’t remember how much I paid for my fiberglass one 15 years ago but it wasn’t anywhere near that and works the same way it did when new.
I have a Hayate and have used wood and fiberglass sectionals quite a bit. There is no comparison. The sectionals are pretty much a wet noodle if you go out to 20' where the Hayate works just fine even at full extension. The Silky blade cuts so much better than the cheap sectionals too.

I’d put those few hundred you’ll save by buying the hardware store version towards a nice pro chainsaw that you’ll really notice why it costs more. For infrequent homeowner use, I see zero reason for a $300 manual pole saw.

I’d put those few hundred you’ll save by buying the hardware store version towards a nice pro chainsaw that you’ll really notice why it costs more. For infrequent homeowner use, I see zero reason for a $300 manual pole saw.

For infrequent homeowner use an electric chainsaw for under $100 is the smart way to go.

By that logic there is no reason to buy a pro saw either......but why buy a pro chainsaw at all if you are looking for pole saw, and if you have the money and are so inclined why not buy the best?
Use a cheepie sectional then use a Silky Hayate, you'll see as soon as you pick it up why it costs more.

Latest posts

Back