Manual pole saw? Infrequent use, but long-term ownership

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By that logic there is no reason to buy a pro saw either......but why buy a pro chainsaw at all if you are looking for pole saw, and if you have the money and are so inclined why not buy the best?
Use a cheepie sectional then use a Silky Hayate, you'll see as soon as you pick it up why it costs more.
Just meant something you’ll notice the difference in, He doesn’t need a pro saw or a $300 pole saw.

By that logic there is no reason to buy a pro saw either......but why buy a pro chainsaw at all if you are looking for pole saw, and if you have the money and are so inclined why not buy the best?
Use a cheepie sectional then use a Silky Hayate, you'll see as soon as you pick it up why it costs more.
The OP was asking for input and opinions. If his mind was made up, he would already have purchased the one referenced.

Philbert

Way back I had a gas-powered pole saw. It was awkward to use, didn't have great range, and could not do nearly as clean a job as a manual polesaw. I got rid of it.

The Silky blade I use is a Zubat. I fitted it to a cheap (Corona?) homeowner adjustable fiberglass handle. I use that thing a lot, carry it up into the canopy when climbing even. Nice tool. I think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd blade. My assistant broke the first one--it flexes some, so you need to use care not to get it in a bind.

Put that thing in competition with my other polesaw, the Stihl model, and that Stihl saw would hang its head in shame.

Like anything else, it depends on how you use it. In storm cleanup, I have cut some fairly large diameter (14-inch?) limbs with a powered pole saw (STIHL MS131), that would have been very difficult to do with a manual pole saw. Sometimes access is difficult, but I can place the bar and pull the trigger, where I would have trouble doing the motions. Sometimes, I have to move quickly once the limb releases. Sometimes, I am using it horizontally to reach into a tangled mess from several feet away, where I don't want to climb in among limbs which may release unexpectedly.

If I was an arborist in a bucket, or tied into a tree, it might be different. When I am pruning trees in my yard for aesthetics, I like using the simpler pole saw. Lots of different situations. Good to have options. I do know guys that had cheap, powered pole saws who cussed at them. I have used my cheap Remington electric down in Katrina (all we could get) and my battery powered ones in other storm clean up efforts. They don't have the reach, but really save the arms, as long as the chains are sharp!

Philbert

Just be careful cutting limbs from the ground. Plan how you go about it one limb at a time and be ready to get the hell out of the way, fast. Most limbs requiring more than a single stroke to get through come down vertically. There’s a lot of spring there that can propel the butt end with plenty of force to make for a bad day. Long limbs are always trying to take me out. Also, those poles are perfect for guiding the limbs right into you. When I cut a limb I plan on it hitting my pole and coming at me. So I set myself up with an unobstructed path so I can pull out away from it in case it does. Respect that even what seems to be a small limb can hurt you.

I've got a couple of them, both pretty old, one aluminum the other fiberglass. Main use has been pruning my orchard.

Watch out dropping stuff, wear goggles or safety shield, I came close to poking an eye out, when a hung up pruned off sucker on an apple tree hit me.

Anybody else use a saws all?
I use a recip saw with a a pruning blade for working in tight hedges, etc., especially where the branches tend to whip around a lot, and there isn't easy access for a lopper.
I use one with a cheap / disposable wood cutting blade for roots in dirt.

Philbert

If I climb up in the tree I've had good success using a battery powered Millwaukee saws all. Lots quicker than hand sawing and can make a pretty clean cut.

This is mostly smaller limbs , 1-3", in my orchard/fruit trees.

Anybody else use a saws all?
If your hand saw cuts a 1" branch slower than a sawzall you have the wrong hand saw. My Silky Sugoi will zip through a 1" branch in one or two strokes. Its a whole lot easier to carry around too.

I have also used a battery-powered recip saw doing storm damage work, where it's hard to tell if it is a tree mixed with a house, or a house mixed with a tree, Used a 'carbide, nail embedded, demolition blade' (all those words are important; there are so many variations) to separate building materials from tree stuff, before the chainsaws come in. I once kept a single blade going for 3 days, and lots of battery charges! Cut up to 8-inch oak limbs with it, along with studs, plywood, particle board, corrugated metal, wiring, conduit, . . . . Not a place where you would want to use your Silky Sugoi. I do have a folding Silky hand saw for trail work, which is nice when you don't want to drag out a saw, PPE, etc.

Again, different tools for different applications.

Philbert

I have two manual shaft saws, as I utilize one frequently. I have a Silky sharp edge (fail to remember precisely which one) that I custom-fitted to a modest property holder shaft outfit for which the first Chinese-made cutting edge demonstrated inadequately. It has something like a 15- - 16' reach. I likewise have a Stihl unit that will reach to 21', that I utilize just when I can't reach with the Silky. The Stihl sharp edge cuts fine and dandy, however in no way like just as the Silky.

I have also used a battery-powered recip saw doing storm damage work, where it's hard to tell if it is a tree mixed with a house, or a house mixed with a tree, Used a 'carbide, nail embedded, demolition blade' (all those words are important; there are so many variations) to separate building materials from tree stuff, before the chainsaws come in. I once kept a single blade going for 3 days, and lots of battery charges! Cut up to 8-inch oak limbs with it, along with studs, plywood, particle board, corrugated metal, wiring, conduit, . . . . Not a place where you would want to use your Silky Sugoi. I do have a folding Silky hand saw for trail work, which is nice when you don't want to drag out a saw, PPE, etc.

Again, different tools for different applications.

Philbert
Have you or @ATH. Tried a pruning blade in the sawzall?

Have you or @ATH. Tried a pruning blade in the sawzall?
Yes...I use those all the time for roots. I've tried on other pruning... periodically still make that mistake.

Thursday, we pruned a birch for a client. He asked if we could leave a few 4-5" logs. Had already put the chainsaw away, but had the sawzall out to cut a root. Before cutting that root (and obviously dulling the blade) I went to cut the logs to length. Half way through first cut, I quit, got the Sugoi and it took less than half the time to make a full cut than the sawzall pruning blade did the partial cut.

Curious thing--post # 35 above, by a new member this morning from India, is nothing more than a translation of part of my post #7 from earlier this week. Have seen another similar thing here in the past. Bot in the making?

Here's this morning's post from a new member today, and then the original that I wrote earlier.
I have two manual shaft saws, as I utilize one frequently. I have a Silky sharp edge (fail to remember precisely which one) that I custom-fitted to a modest property holder shaft outfit for which the first Chinese-made cutting edge demonstrated inadequately. It has something like a 15- - 16' reach. I likewise have a Stihl unit that will reach to 21', that I utilize just when I can't reach with the Silky. The Stihl sharp edge cuts fine and dandy, however in no way like just as the Silky.
I have two manual pole saws, as I use one quite often. I have a Silky blade (forget exactly which one) that I custom fitted to a cheap homeowner pole outfit for which the original Chinese-made blade proved insufficient. It has something like a 15--16' reach. I also have a Stihl unit that'll reach to 21', that I use only when I can't reach with the Silky. The Stihl blade cuts just fine, but nothing like as well as the Silky.
I'm not too concerned about this. Just curious.

Back