Maple Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdzEye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend of mine has maple trees that have no bark on the trees starting from the from the ground and extends up the tree, different heights per tree, from 1 foot to as much as 15 or 20 feet, always on the west side of every tree. Sometimes on more than one side. The worst tree has a NEWER lesion (canker) about 3 feet long on a small branch that follows the same vertical line as the older damage.

There is 1 norway, and 6 or 7 silvers. All have the same symptoms. Wide span of ages/sizes, 3 inch to 18 inch. There is also a lot of box elders in lot next door, but they look like all box elders around here.

There are as many non-maples in the yard, all healthy (no mechanical damage/sun burn).

I'd just remove the silvers, the norway still looks OK for the time being, but does anyone know what this disease is? I've never seen it so extensive.
thanks...

also could be sunscald or frost cracks. were the trees grown in your area or were they nursery grown at a southern nursery? Find out from where they were sold. If the nursery bought them from a southern nursery, then they might not be hardy to your area.

One of the 'burbs here has this small park on flood plain where thw trees look like they were lightning struck. Then the trained Eye sees that the pattern is wrong and it is all on one side, multi stem and several trees have it , but at slightly different angles.

Then you find the history of the park, was a neighborhood that flooded regularly. The county sewaer district bought the properties and sold them to the cities as park, then donated the houses to the fire departments for one time training.

JP, I know what you mean. mostly arounf the start of the fairway and near doglegs.

I cut a few of them white things out of trees.

Oh...that was some deep stuff there. I first read it as if there had been a fire in the area, in which fire scars could be found on the same side of the trees. Or, you could have taken it literally as "fore!".... Mid-State has some great examples of golf balls "engolfed" by the tree as it tries to grow.

Nickrosis

That's what I thought, too...I thought it was a deep meaning going both ways - fire and golf. I never realized the relationship between fire and golfing, but I think you're pioneering it, JPS. How about a fire at MCC?

Nickrosis

MCC did not have burn piles, they wer heaps or mountains! Wow, I was worried when they had me do that!

But I have no inclination to butn anything down there, or at a particular client you have either:rolleyes:. I got over that in a hurry and realized I was not really enjoying the "work", even thought the learning experiance was Tree-Mend-Us.

Just make sure you use diesel and not unleaded:) one time i thought i had deisel and it was mixed gas , it lites up as fast as unleaded alone :) and im still here to talk about it .

Back