Maple Misery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenwedge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since my job got mudded out I have been cutting in Oregon in the Eugene area. My first week cutting there I cut more dang Maple than I have in my career as a timber faller. I knew enough about these doggone things to know that they will kill ya quick, but never have I been in a strip with so much of the darn stuff. It was probably 50% Maple 10% Alder, and 40% Evergreens. My biggest complaint is there poisoning methods. I do not know how long ago they poisoned them, but long enough ago to where there breaking out if brushed my an evergreen. Makes a dangerous job much more hazardous in my opinion. Why not poison the damn things after its been logged? Anyone have an answer?

Whose ground are you working on? I know BLM did a lot of hack and squirt up around Cottage Grove/ Pleasant Hill and out to the west (Veneta/Crow/Lorane.)
Seneca has done some as well, most of their land is north and northeast of Eugene. I cut a lot up around Detroit Lake which is north/northeast of where you're
at now and up by McKenzie Bridge, and that's big time Alder country in the low elevations. Forest Service doesn't do any hack and squirt and Giustina or
Weyerhaeuser don't typically invest too much in it either. Those companies aerially spray if they need to kill hardwoods.

Apparently they didn't hear about a nasty accident in Montana, and an expensive lawsuit. I don't know the minute details, but somebody was hurt or killed in a Forest Service unit where trees were girdled. I'm not even sure if they were logging in it, or doing TSI. There was a lawsuit, and the suer won. It cost the FS at least a million. I am thinking there was another suit also. Wish I had paid more attention. I was kind of doing like Jacob J's new avatar.

Apparently, the girdled Montanian trees were at the stage of falling over without much help. The trees fell on workers, and off to court it went.

I know that isn't what you wanted to know, but it is related, kind of....maybe I should go back to napping....or for a bike ride. Around here our maples are dying without any help. That's what fueled my woodstove all winter and will part of next.

Whose ground are you working on? I know BLM did a lot of hack and squirt up around Cottage Grove/ Pleasant Hill and out to the west (Veneta/Crow/Lorane.)
Seneca has done some as well, most of their land is north and northeast of Eugene. I cut a lot up around Detroit Lake which is north/northeast of where you're
at now and up by McKenzie Bridge, and that's big time Alder country in the low elevations. Forest Service doesn't do any hack and squirt and Giustina or
Weyerhaeuser don't typically invest too much in it either. Those companies aerially spray if they need to kill hardwoods.

Jacob, I'm not real sure who's ground it is. I'm sub-contracting to a feller named Clint Cruthers. The above mentioned strip was up Wolf Creek in the Crow area.

That neck of the woods the ownership maps read like gibberish. Gates have a dozen different locks. I worked out of there for a year in the 90's and never did figure out the logic of having the quarter-sections busted up like that. And some folks are real protective of "their" land, as if there was any good way to tell where it is! Well, I guess I do have ArcPad on a handheld GPS now, but I sure didn't back in the day.

Jacob, I'm not real sure who's ground it is. I'm sub-contracting to a feller named Clint Cruthers. The above mentioned strip was up Wolf Creek in the Crow area.

I know the Wolf Creek road area real well. It's almost all Seneca and BLM up there. No Forest Service that I'm aware of. There's a tiny patch of state timber up there too.

There's some decent wood there higher up, but closer to the highway it's all garbage. Not a bad place to work though really.

Eugene area?! That's a long way from Idaho. At least you're cuttin. For a second I was thinking you were working on our Gate Creek strip. Although it's nice Fir and not too much maple. One guy there has a Idaho license plate that says "STUMPEM" (somebody here might recognize it?).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back