maple syrup taps/ruined timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen. We had about 3 acres of maple that has been low graded because it has streaking from plastic syrup taps being left in.

Last edited:
The buyer hasnt been out to see the deck yet, but as you sugested I suspect many of the logs will be downgraded from veneer quality to saw timber. Like any cut not all of the logs where veneer quality, but there where quit a few. BTW I have a question for you. Whats causes the grain pattern in a curly/fiddleback maple? I know birdseye is caused by seeds encased in the wood fiber, but what about curly?

Tapped Maple

I own a sawmill in Vermont and we saw a lot of hard maple. Any time you drill a hole in a tree to put a tap in it will make brown streeks in the wood. This part of the tree we use for firewood. The process is called butting of the tapped bottom of the log. Hope this helps. Lynn Gardner

bwalker
The curly grain comes from the cambial layer being uneven and undulating (under the bark). This transfers to the grain pattern in the wood. Birdseye is similar and has to do with dormant bud-like characteristics of the cambial layer. IMO

Have never heard of the 'seeds' theory, such as you indicate. Do you have a reference to this 'theory'?

I don't know much about all the factors that cause figuring in wood. But I think figuring is found mainly tension and compression wood. It will most often be found in large lateral limbs and mainly at bends. As well, it is usually found in collars and large knots and crotches. And in old knarly trunks, especially if they lean a bit or support a side load.

A couple years ago, I was surprised to find out that some of the most valuable wood in the world is our local PNW Bigleaf maple--not a hard maple wood by any means--if it is heavily figured. A log truck driver I know delivered a load which sold for $30,000!! As one log once for $18,000! The highest grade (1 to 5) of the best figure, "quilted" is used for electric guitar backs. An appx 3 board foot piece, if cut to correct size, amy bring $100!!

http://www.edromanguitars.com/featured/wbg.htm

I just sawed up some hardmaple, its been tapped for the last 80 years. We butted it off at 7' and I got 11'6" with one defect.
When we where done we had 150' of clear 5/4 and some nice boards where the defect was.
If the log buyer is low grading the whole lot, consider having a bandmill come in and saw.
Ed K

When you drill a hole in the maple tree to put in the tap it causes bacteria in the damaged area. That is what causes the brown streaks in the wood.

Latest posts

Back