maple trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawn lady

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 5 gal silver maple that is between 4-5 ft tall, and a red maple that is between 5-6 ft tall. I planted them in my front yard in NC. My question is how fast will they grow and start to provide shade , and when do I and what do I feed them other than water?? They look real healthy and pretty already, the red is fuller and thicker in the trunk , does this mean it is a faster growing tree? I don't want to lose them or feed them wrong. thank you for your help.

I am always happy to hear about people planting trees. You said they were in 5 gal. pots, being 5-6 feet tall they might be somewhat rootbound. Whenever planting potted material it is important to loosen the roots, sometimes even cutting some of the roots, so they can grow outwards. The latest info I have read about fertilizing newly planted trees is to mix in a mild fertilizer in the hole when planting, a 6-6-6 or similar. As recently as 3-5 years ago no fertilizer was recommended, but recent studies say fertilizing when planting is ok. After 6-12 months, I would recommend fertilizer stakes as per directions.
As for the red maple being fuller and thicker, it might be an older tree. Not too many red maples in Florida.

Latest posts

Back