Maple with problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGA

Reaction score
In front of my residence there is a nice Maple with some sort of white powdery substance on a couple of the larger branches, from a distance it looks like white paint. The lowest ones were removed so as not to fall on my vehicle. They were very dry and brittle, no leaves. The rest of the tree seems ok with no leaf deformities that I can see. It this tree done or is there something I can do about it? Tnx.

J

The only limbs removed were the lowest 'dead' ones I could reach from the ground. Some of them have already snapped off onto the lawn. Of course the live ones were left alone, damaging trees is not my forte and frankly I like the afternoon shade it provides. Will get pix when my camera returns home, it's on vacation with the kids.

J

Over the roof

I would not think RockyS. is well today, he's cranky. It is not stupid to consider the cost to the homeowner when the tree over the roof fills the gutters and blocks the downspouts causing the rain or ice to backup on the roof and leak into the house. It is cheaper to remove the tree than replace a roof and foundation of a house that is suffering water damage because the tree Rocky wants to save is the culprit. Plant a new tree futher away. Down spouts and drain pipes clogged twice a year by silver maple, spring seeds and fall leaf drop. Pine clogs year round from needles falling. The choice is not stupid, it is cost. Year round maintainance and short roof life expectancy or go with Rocky and save tree rather than remove it and plant a new one in a better location. I forgot you don't have basements in FLA. let alone wet ones because the gutters are clogged. You have not seen a roof covered with British soldiers growing on tree debris? $ 10,000.00 for a new roof or $ 2,500.00 to remove offending tree and plant a new one? DUH???

Re: Over the roof

Originally posted by geofore
It is cheaper to remove the tree than replace a roof and foundation of a house that is suffering water damage because the tree Rocky wants to save is the culprit. Duh?

It is cheaper yet to prune back the most problematic branches and install gutter guards so tree debris doesn't clog them. Several types work well, and are far cheaper than removing an asset to the property.

JGA likes his shade and Rocky is right to want tree values preserved. The white stuff on the limbs might be a fungus eating the dead wood. JGA, do you see any white stuff on live limbs? HOpe your camera's back intact.

Geofore, when you have a hangover problem, you don't cut off your head. You take Alka-Seltzer or another remedy. When your customer has a tree hang-over problem, there are many approaches to remedying it besides cutting the tree down. Double Duh??:eek:

I hope the earlier posts are right, that it's a harmless lichen. The rest of the stuff is not as heavy, farther up and does not appear to be on any live limbs. The tree is not close enough to the roof to cause any problems but it does cover part of the driveway and the power line. The worst of it was on the lower dead limb that was removed. After cutting about half way through, about 1.5 inch, it just snapped. As dry as seasoned firewood. There was no deforming or discoloring of that limb through the cut but it was covered for about 4 feet only on the east facing side. The stuff is smooth and flat, no raised edges. After searching for symptoms around the net I haven't found anything that accurately describes it so I thought I would ask here. Appreciate your responses.

J

Originally posted by JGA
I hope the earlier posts are right, that it's a harmless lichen. The rest of the stuff is not as heavy, farther up and does not appear to be on any live limbs. J
Only on dead wood, then it is a saprophytic fungus not a lichen, and no problem at all. It sounds like stuff I run into all the time on dead maple branches.
Now that you're looking closely at your trees, hire an arborist who can help you learn about what may be a problem now or later so you can save $ by being proactive. Don't listen to anyone who overreacts and considers trees culprits more than assets.:eek:

culprits

You have to see the trees planted two feet from the house or right under the powerlines to get to what culprits I remove. Elm planted 2' from front of beau window overhaning house put a limb through sky light. Silver maple, 17' from house, 10' from garage put a limb through garage roof that went through first floor of garage and ended up in car parked in basement of garage in wind storm. Pines planted 4' from house, pines now 74' tall and less than 3' from house, gutters full year round roof replaced for 4 times since 1960. The trees are not bad the location of the trees is the problem. If you have a tree that has a target and has hit the target your insurance paid for the damage once but said take the tree out because we won't cover it the second time do you remove the tree or open an escrow tree account for the next time? Most opt for remove tree and plant in better location because they can't afford to self insure. I have let some stand and removed the over hang but the customer knows his insurance guy told him they won't cover damages next time and I leave a written warning to CYA. One was remove all the maples and plant new ones 20' futher from the house. Location, location,location.

Latest posts

Back