Maple with some issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Altmann

Reaction score
Hello all, glad I found a place which may be able to help. I have a maple in the backyard that I would love to keep around. Recently, I have observed fine sawdust at the base of the tree, and suspect ants or beetles. Not sure whether info herein will definitively identify, but I am mainly wondering whether I can take any actions to mitigate, or prolong life of the tree. I am also interested in identifying the specific variety of Maple this is, as my garage-sale identification guides do not seem to list this one. This tree splits into three main branches from the trunk at about 4 feet from the ground. I am guessing that the 'pocket' formed at that split may be a place for water to pool, and perhaps has led to some rot. There are no signs of leafs dying/browning anywhere on the tree. There are however, some signs of entry in bark holes with discoloration. The way the large branches are situated, I don't think they would damage much if it fell, and I was thinking cabling the three main limbs together may prevent any of them from hitting ground. I will try to upload some relevant pics, and thanks for any information.

Attachments

• P1013150.JPG
    P1013150.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • P1013161.JPG
    P1013161.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • P1013159.JPG
    P1013159.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
  • P1013165.JPG
    P1013165.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
Hello all, glad I found a place which may be able to help. I have a maple in the backyard that I would love to keep around. Recently, I have observed fine sawdust at the base of the tree, and suspect ants or beetles. Not sure whether info herein will definitively identify, but I am mainly wondering whether I can take any actions to mitigate, or prolong life of the tree. I am also interested in identifying the specific variety of Maple this is, as my garage-sale identification guides do not seem to list this one. This tree splits into three main branches from the trunk at about 4 feet from the ground. I am guessing that the 'pocket' formed at that split may be a place for water to pool, and perhaps has led to some rot. There are no signs of leafs dying/browning anywhere on the tree. There are however, some signs of entry in bark holes with discoloration. The way the large branches are situated, I don't think they would damage much if it fell, and I was thinking cabling the three main limbs together may prevent any of them from hitting ground. I will try to upload some relevant pics, and thanks for any information.

I found this critter on the tree....not sure it is a tree-eater, also doesnt look like ALB...

Attachments

• P1013168.JPG
    P1013168.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • P1013169.JPG
    P1013169.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
Well I can't find that beetle in the known new york beetle list. That hole looks like exit wound of ALB, you might want to take that beetle to local expert or maybe some one else will chime in here that can shed light. Are there any more holes higher up the trunk yet ?

Thanks for your time in responses! I see a lot of small holes leading up the tree, these holes are smaller than say - a carpenter and would fit through, and are almost perfectly round. If you look closely at the picture of the possible exit hole - you will see these smaller holes. Even the 'exit' hole you mention isnt large and round like I see on other pictures related to ALB, and there are more of these on the tree for sure, but more discolorations and leaky sap than a true round hole.

I have looked as well, and found no matches. If you look closely, there are some orange 'folds' (almost think of it as some mideival collar) on the sides of the head area, pretty interesting. I will look to see who I can brig it too..

Thanks again!

The DEC suggested a variety of firefly. When I look those up - it does seem like Lucidota perhaps......so I may have to keep looking for culprit

thanks again!

The DEC suggested a variety of firefly. When I look those up - it does seem like Lucidota perhaps......so I may have to keep looking for culprit

thanks again!
Simular your right, the hole in the trunk seems like ALB exit wound though and with the frass keep your eye peeled! I hope for your sake it's not.

Latest posts

Back