Marking size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My question has to do with tree length firewood. How do you guys mark your cuts down the log length? I mean if your cutting 16" logs, what do you use to mark your lengths? I used a bright orange Crayon that I borrowed from my daughter , it worked ok, but hard to see on rough bark.
Thanks!

I just guestimate 12-16inches when I cut; I've never marked anything. When in doubt I make em shorter, but 90 percent of the time my cuts measure 12-16 inches.

I carry a wooden yard stick and mark with Krylon spray chalk paint - the neon pink stuff works good. You can buy it at Wally, K-mart, HD, Lowes...pretty much anywhere. One can goes a LONG way.

I cut at 22" lengths whenever possible, and split the difference at the end of the tree/log. My stove will hold 24" pieces.

I have a folding yardstick

It is 19 inches long. when folded in half. I cut an inch and scratch the log with my scrench. Dad always used an axe. His marks were more visible.. But I do not have an axe in my chaps pocket.

I try to estimate 16" using my saw in some way. I think my 20" bar actually is 18" from the dogs tips, so I cut 2" less than that. I measure for a few sticks and then eyeball it until I notice I'm getting off. But shorter is better when in doubt!

It is all about precision!

I get out my trusty temperature compensated meter stick and mark the log at exactly 40.6 centimeters. Then I level the log with a 6 foot level, and using a quality angle finder to keep the say straight I block it up.

This method may seem like a lot of bother, but my wood is "perfect".

If you believe that line of :censored: then I could convince you that I use a Husky 345 with a 42 inch bar! Running on diesel fuel!! :jawdrop:

-Pat

Measure 101

1. Get 1 permanent Magic Marker (black is fine)

2. Get the measuring tape you used to build that 6 cord woodshed :bowdown: . (You do have a woodSHED don't you?)

3. On your trusty, reliable Stihl ( sorry, Electrolux :help: ) chainsaw, carefully
measure the log length desired.

4. Mark the length for your stove(s), or a range ( e.g. 16' to 18" ) ON THE saw body from the tip of the bar. ( N.B. If you are of the Nordic ethnic with a 13" bar, you may be in deep doo doo, unless you have a 602 using 12" logs).

5. When bucking ( please Google for meaning), use said ( the line you marked previously on said saw) line for the correct cut.

6. Enjoy your woodpile-to-be. ( See past thread for the Piles Afflicted).:chainsawguy:

And repeat after me: "Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way."

I carry a marking stick (16") and use it for each cut, no marking, just eyeball a mark on the log.

My experience in 'eyeballing' is that the Mark 1 eyeball is very unreliable. The bigger the log, the shorter 16" looks and vice versa. Cutting limbs I am way out there at 20 or more and on a 24" log I'll be cutting 12s. On my limbing saw, I use a bolt on length gauge if I am going to be getting a decent amount of rounds out of the limbs.

Harry K

Spencer tape (which hooks on the end of the log and doesn't come loose like a conventional tape measure) which is conveniently marked with red diamonds at 16" intervals and a red lumber crayon. Red works best for me regardless of species or wetness of bark.

I am with logbutcher. I just measured out to on the bar from my powerhead to the proper length for my stove.

When bucking I just lay the saw beside the log and sight to "the edge of that lichen" or "an inch past that bump" or whatever.

Works good for me.

Well,if you do it long enough you will likely be able to get them all within an inch,one way or another.16" is pretty much standard.Then too,anything that will fit through the stove door will burn.Little shortys are just a pain in the rear to stack.

I try to estimate 16" using my saw in some way. I think my 20" bar actually is 18" from the dogs tips, so I cut 2" less than that. I measure for a few sticks and then eyeball it until I notice I'm getting off. But shorter is better when in doubt!

I use this method also. My sister-in-law thought I was blessing the log or something when she saw me cutting one time.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sam

I use my chaisaw bar. It's about 16" from the tip to the spikes for the first few cuts, or I just eyeball it.

Spencer tape (which hooks on the end of the log and doesn't come loose like a conventional tape measure) which is conveniently marked with red diamonds at 16" intervals and a red lumber crayon. Red works best for me regardless of species or wetness of bark.

finally, the correct answer.... :biggrinbounce2:

I think this method has already been mentioned, but here is my way. I use my bars as gauges. I cut to 16". With my 16" bar, I eye-ball from the front of the powerhead to the tip of the bar. With my 20" bar, I have a line lightly scratched on both sides of my bar at 16" from the front of the powerhead. Not absolutely exact, but works for me.

Kevin

I use a hollow aluminum pipe that I cut to 18". I just put the one end on the already cut end of wood, eyeball the other side, hold the piece of pipe in between my knees (or drop it, depending on the circumstances) and make my cut. Repeat step 1 until finished! This has served me well over the years! :jester:

Latest posts

Back