"Marking" your territory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was shown a large pine that I'm slated to strip out tomorrow. Today, another tree co. that had evidently bid on the job took it upon themselves to park their 12 crane (LOL) in front of it, and leave it. The client (a lawyer) iz pissed.

I know this 'treeguy'. I worked for him a couple years. He is undoubtly the shadiest character I've ever known. I was glad to get away from him. And I'm familar with this tactic he's using. He's done it many times before.

He won't really have a confirmed go-ahead, but he would set-up to do the job, and 80% of the time the client would acquiesce. I couldn't believe it.

Anywhooo, the plan is strip it out tomorrow, and on thursday bring a 30 ton to yank the snag.

And who knows? Maybe this guy will let him do it, anyway. He is most definitely a lowballer.

So does anybody else operate this way?

I outta scan his yellow page ad and post it...
aaf_shifty.gif

I think that's called the "hard close". Some people have brass balls. If the customer is so mad he should have called the cops and gotten his rig "moved".:D

MB,
if that is your tree crew dancing at the bottom of your post i dont think you have to worry about finding justice in this world.

Sounds to me like you will probably going to another job instead of that pine MB, If the guy has the stones to park his rig under the tree with out confirming he will most likely lowball your guy out of the job. Hope your not working for same guy that let a crew come through the work zone and steal the job from him again.:rolleyes:

moremoney

Sorry there givin ya some mb, Many times I have "cold canvassed" people... "Hay that tree looks pretty close to your shed man...How about I zip up and knock it off for ya"?? And while i'm here...We have a guy round these parts called "HUNGREY" Forever tring to get anybody eles work from under them...How does he find out?? the pub.. Loose lips sink ships...Now how to turn that saying to trees...Hmmm...I suppose as he says "He's got mouths to feed"...

Give us his add and i'll get him to come over and give me a quote on something...Should keep him outer your hair (opps) off your back for a while... Derek...

Amazing! Who has time to try to steal other people's jobs?:confused: I feel a little weird because I just got a job that a competitor was already scheduled for. -He was scheduled to do it in 10weeks. I know the people slightly-They have started attending church with me and just discovered that I'm a tree guy-So I now have a job and they are cancelling the guy who is booked up worse than I am.- I sure didn't try to steal it-Just went to bid when they asked me.
I've got another that a competitor never showed up for-after 3 and half months the guy called me-but he was already a customer-I've ground out a stump for him in the past. (The guy who didn't show recommended me for the stump. Too weird.)

Not for nothing, but it kind of turns me off to see a company which does "tree work" pick up a tree job, and then put it off for longer than it should be put off. Of course, pruning is one thing, however dealing with a dangerous tree is something that I feel should be done ASAP.

Heck, I'm glad my competition is such a bunch of fock-ups. I get tons of work simply because they don't return phone calls, nevermind the other points of half-decent customer service they screw up.

Why not call your contractor and tell him he should get an EARLY start? YOu guys should get out there at the crack of dawn and start dropping limbs. If an illegally parked vehicle is under it, too bad.:eek:

O and treeman82, how do you define "dangerous"?

Well, this is one scenario which sticks out in my mind.

Friend of mine who I sometimes climb for. He picked up this DEAD elm tree removal at a cemetary over a bunch of new gravestones. He waited a LONG time to do it. 1/2 the tree failed before it was ever even scheduled to be removed. He lost the job because he waited so long to do it.

Yes, if somebody calls you with a tree which has been dead for 5 years to come cut it down, then you shouldn't have to be there tomorow. However, it also shouldn't be put at the very end of the list.

I guess I define "Dangerous" as being relative to other work that the company has booked at the time.

Sounds to me like if the crane is parked illegally on private property, your lawyer just acquired himself a crane.

theres a guy here that owns a gun range. came to work one morning and found a trailer house moving co. parked on his lot. He called the sherriff for tresspassing and ended up getting like $250 out of the movers. called it 'parking fee'. he said it was that or he now OWNED the house and would shoot tires to make it stay (yes, he'd do it too. he's one you DONT want to pss off).

other than that, try your keys..use that guys crane if it will start!:laugh:

Let's assume the truck is parked on the street in a public parking spot.&nbsp; Would anybody suggest dropping limbs on it <i>then</i>?&nbsp; Would the law be able to do anything about it?&nbsp; They probably wouldn't even bother coming out until you'd called the owner and got a particularly unfavorable response.

I'd get started early and just as I was entering the tree, call them and politely ask them to come and move their vehicle.&nbsp; Then, when they get there, ask them to not pull that stunt again.

Butch, the word has probably gotten out about your "boss" that he's a pushover.

Glen

Let down the guys tires, preferably using a 357 (saw or handgun). Guys that operate like that deserve everything thats coming to them. So many wankers in this world, so few who will come hunting with you......

Originally posted by glens
Butch, the word has probably gotten out about your "boss" that he's a pushover.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm curious about which 'boss' it is you're talking about, though. I work with five different companies.

i'd target a hydralic hose, and parking the crane in with the tree; loosen some tire valves; and hook branch under chasis real good in both directions.

Any problems, all you know is you were going to let him make $50 for hauling, but you can come back in get it if it isn't good enough, you were just feeling sorry for him!

Wasnt it the Zen Climber who once quoted Patrick Swayze saying "Just be nice?" What goes around usually comes around, however if it was be I would pour a pound of sugar down his fuel tank.

Or a nice 1 1/4 explosive shaped charge on the engine block.

Kenn:D

Back