Marl or half-hitch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a marl?

• Marl is superior to a half hitch

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • they are intrchangable IMO

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • What's the differance?

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I never back up a knot.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
I truck this question out every other year...

Is a marl better to back up a knot when blocking big wood? I prefer it beacuse it seems to stay in place better.

I voted that they are interchangealble for the reason that they both serve the same purpose to distribute the load over more rope. But I agree, the marl does stay in place better

I typically only use running bowlines when rigging wood. Never backed one up and never had one slip. I do leave several inches tail and I always make sure the knot is dressed before loading.
I've heard several people here talk about the bowline rolling out but IMO it's virtually impossible if the knot is tied and dressed correctly. But I only have 20 years experience using it.

The only time I would use a marl or 1/2 hitch is if I was blocking down heavy wood onto a block. 99% of the time it's just a plain ol running bowline. But I only have 2yrs using it :p

If ya wanna go super secure go with a marl then a round turn and a running bowline. Ye ole running bowline is what I use. And like Rocky I have never had one slip. Just make sure you leave 4-6" of tail. I did have a water not come out of some webbing once because I didnt leave enough tail. Im now of the opinion that a man can never get to much tail.

Kenn

I see the marl or half hitch as a means to reduce the fall distance into rigging. Your attachment knot (be it running bowline, clove hitch,timber hitch or whatever) does not belong mere inches above the kerf. A marl can be near the cut since if it were to slip off the butt the piece will not merely free fall to the ground/roof/ swimming pool/patio/priceless sculpture/etc.. From a strength and security standpoint its only real benefit lies in reducing shockloading since either half hitch or marl bend the rope on itself in a cordage weakening configuration. For many years I used a clove hitch with a couple of security half hitches around the standing line as my primary attachment knot for lowering chunks off on the source spar. It really wasn't better--just familiar. A clove with spread wraps was useful for lowering short chunks flat..... but how important is that? I'm more inclined to use a running bowline with a marl these days. -Or just a running bowline.

I first learned this from Tom Dunlap here on AS. If you have a long dead branch that may break apart you can tie as many marls as necessary along the branch and finish with a running bowline.

I prefer the marl

Mike

A marl, while it does hold better than a half hitch, puts a tighter bend in the line, so may not be as strong.

Stumper, how close the section being lowered is tied to the end does not affect how far it freefalls before being caught.....

I would use the marl and running bowline on anything long, straight and slick.
elm, hickory, red oaks and pine. I have never had a bowline come out that was tied right but I like the security of the extra marl and I think it keeps the log being cut pointing vertical for tighter drop zones. I also will use a few on dead limbs and logs when the possibility of them breaking apart, on stuff like dead pine and poplar. The 1/2 hitch may be more secure but I would think it would tighten up and be difficult to untie if used in its place.

if i'm roping a short chunk with no nubs and i'm worried it might slip. i'll just cut a small "v" into the wood and place the rope in it.

Marl gives extra grip, but also extra setting i think too. It can leave list of overhand knots in line if slipped off; but then one of them can be used to keep ascending line from racing thru pulley.

i think each gives 2nd grab on load and buffers loading to the Runnning Bowline (or Clove etc.).

i about always lower with a half hitch preceding, for enhanced security each grab (bowline and half hitch) is on/ locks on natural imprefection or small humboldt etc. i cut to lay/lock line into.

There is another reason though for preceding with one of these strategies. i think properly, a Bowline is maid to deliver perpendicular to load; so that the pull on the bowline is straight/inline/ not at leveraged angle witht he Standing Part. In lowering this is achieved only with balanced load.

Usually the load is off balanced, so that 1 end is heavy and load carries pairallell to line. This means that the bowline has to pull at leveraged angle to the pull of it's Standing Part. Preceding with a marl or half hitch reduces the pull to the Bowline, and is unleveraged pull on the marl/half hitch.

The Bowline is still finally pulled at leveraged angle after reducing force thru marl/half-hitch; so is still levraged per the force flowing to bolwine but; that reduced pull on bowline is not leveraged per the initial loading on the Standing Part! So, therefore is safer, higher SWL; but at no loss to it's reciprocal of elasticity! (Usually a higher SWL gives lower elasticity as trade off).

Last edited:
I voted interchangeable because I think you could say they both have their strong and weak points.. Like Rb said, the marl will put a tighter bend in the line, thus reducing strength. I could see people liking the half-hitch since if it slipped would not knot the rope...

RB, how does the point of tying not affect the distance a chunk will freefall before being caught?? seems like it would..

Last edited:
rbtree said:
A marl, while it does hold better than a half hitch, puts a tighter bend in the line, so may not be as strong.

Stumper, how close the section being lowered is tied to the end does not affect how far it freefalls before being caught.....

+1

The distance a piece falls is not how far the butt of the piece moves, but the distance the COG moves. Where you tie the piece doesnt effect the length of the COG's fall.

An important realization. It is illustrated in The Art and Science of Practical Rigging.

rbtree said:

You are correct. I stated that badly. Butt hitching and keeping the amount of line from the block to the tie as short as possible reduces the ammount of dancing the piece will do when it hits the rigging. Tip tie far above the block and stuff will bounce all over the place. Tie near the COG and it is hard to predict exactly how it will wobble before stabilizing. Tied at the end with minimum free rope you know it will hang and has little room to wiggle and jiggle.

Stumper said:
You are correct. I stated that badly. Butt hitching and keeping the amount of line from the block to the tie as short as possible reduces the ammount of dancing the piece will do when it hits the rigging. Tip tie far above the block and stuff will bounce all over the place. Tie near the COG and it is hard to predict exactly how it will wobble before stabilizing. Tied at the end with minimum free rope you know it will hang and has little room to wiggle and jiggle.

That can be attributed to the weight above the knot offering some ammount of counterweight to the peices below, allowing the wiggling to be eaiser. A peice that is symetric in weight distribution and is tied in the center can hang anywhere around the clock because the weight is balanced. On a shorter tie the see saw is weighed heavily to the fat mans side, tying closer moves the fulcrum closer to the fat man giving the skinny some extra leverage.

If that makes sense...

The slipping attributed to bowlines isn't within the knot which would result in the know coming untied. Arbos have much more faith, and experience, with loading plain old bowlines than other rope workers. The only annecdotal stories that I've ever heard about bowlines coming untied were in lw load situations or someone didn't tie the bowline properly. that's not a bowlinf failure, that's pilot error.

The slipping is because the rope loop opens up and doesn't stay choked on the piece. Then the rope hangs and the piece falls. This leads to sever butt-pucker and a localized drop in ambient air pressure as the whole crew sucks in, hoping that they haven't used up all of their luck that day. In most cases, they have, and the out of controll piece embraces the most expensive piece of property in the area. I know, I had that happen before I started using marls.

A marl and half hitch are not interchangeable. The hlaf hitch stays snugged onto the piece and doesn't move around or droop like hip hop pants. A marl can slip off the butt end of a chunk with the same results as mentioned above. The only difference is that the pressure loss is less because the piece still should be held by the running bowline. The falling piece is only half out of control and will generally only crash into less expensive pieces of property.

Any time that a rigger thinks that a knot compromises the strength of a rigging setup it is time to stop and make one of two changes. Either cut a smaller piece or use bigger rigging. The loss of effeciency when using a knot, or hitch, should always be a non-factor.

Like others have said, using it as a butt hitch to reduce fall distance is uber important when working big wood. Pete Donzelli wrote an article about that titled "All in all, it's about reduing the length of the fall"

Back