Mastermind Meets The Echo CS-520

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, all I can say is WOW! That thing looks like it could give my stock 044 a run for it's money. It's sure a lot more saw than my MM 026 or my stock 346.

Ya need to put up a vid of that thing simply idling. I haven't heard anything yet sounds as good as an idling ported 520 with a good MM.

Nice work, mang.

[video=youtube;xlRuyVtQI5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRuyVtQI5I[/video]

BTW, it was Randy along with Brad that walked me through the process of porting my own Echo cs-520 back last summer. Many of the locals in England thought it had the same grunt their 441 had!

Last edited:
Nice job Randy!

Saw has some serious NUTS now!

all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man you woke that saw up

WOW..!!! Color me "blown away"..!!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Yea, all I can say is WOW! That thing looks like it could give my stock 044 a run for it's money. It's sure a lot more saw than my MM 026 or my stock 346.

Ya need to put up a vid of that thing simply idling. I haven't heard anything yet sounds as good as an idling ported 520 with a good MM.

Nice work, mang.

It's as strong as a PORTED 346XP. At least in that wood. :msp_thumbup:

BTW, it was Randy along with Brad that walked me through the process of porting my own Echo cs-520 back last summer. Many of the locals in England thought it had the same grunt their 441 had!

I'm really surprised by these last two Echos I've built. Hell I reckon I'll have to get one now. :hmm3grin2orange:

First post. Have been lurking around the sight for over a year. Read thread after thread for hours on end. Absolutely awesome results. I can't wait to get that saw back home. I chose to have that saw done as my first ported saw bc of watching Wyk's videos on you tube. Randy was the obvious choice for the job for numerous reasons. Having read all his build threads I knew he would approach the saw with a open mind and not count it off just bc of the fact it's an Echo. Second, he does these build threads, and I could watch as the build progresses and hopefully learn something. The final reason I chose Randy is we both live in TN and are thus neighbors even though I live in Knoxville. Always like to initiate and close business dealings with a handshake as you can tell a lot about an individual with a handshake. As far as the saw goes, it was given to me by someone who didnt need to own a saw. I liked how it ran. So I carry it in the truck for "firewood poaching". It is no 346xp or 261 but it's decent for a 50cc saw and it was free. I kinda like having a "sleeper saw" or a "wolf in sheeps clothing". Have a wish list full of chainsaws, but also have 2 little girls and a son and their wishes will always come first. I aplaud your work Randy and we will be getting together on my next one real soon. Make sure I get my "Mastermind" sticker. I leave it open to the guys to decide for the next one- a Stihl 044 10mm or a mint Sachs Dolmar 120SI. I can't decide. The Dolmar would be a change of pace. Thanks again.

First post. Have been lurking around the sight for over a year. Read thread after thread for hours on end. Absolutely awesome results. I can't wait to get that saw back home. I chose to have that saw done as my first ported saw bc of watching Wyk's videos on you tube. Randy was the obvious choice for the job for numerous reasons. Having read all his build threads I knew he would approach the saw with a open mind and not count it off just bc of the fact it's an Echo. Second, he does these build threads, and I could watch as the build progresses and hopefully learn something. The final reason I chose Randy is we both live in TN and are thus neighbors even though I live in Knoxville. Always like to initiate and close business dealings with a handshake as you can tell a lot about an individual with a handshake. As far as the saw goes, it was given to me by someone who didnt need to own a saw. I liked how it ran. So I carry it in the truck for "firewood poaching". It is no 346xp or 261 but it's decent for a 50cc saw and it was free. I kinda like having a "sleeper saw" or a "wolf in sheeps clothing". Have a wish list full of chainsaws, but also have 2 little girls and a son and their wishes will always come first. I aplaud your work Randy and we will be getting together on my next one real soon. Make sure I get my "Mastermind" sticker. I leave it open to the guys to decide for the next one- a Stihl 044 10mm or a mint Sachs Dolmar 120SI. I can't decide. The Dolmar would be a change of pace. Thanks again.

I was wondering if you would show up. Your 041 is ready too BTW.

You said this saw is no 346xp. You're right, it's a 346xp killer. :laugh:

The "Mastermind" sticker is on there for you too. :laugh:

Show up? I never log off of Arboristsite.com. I've been watching the threads since two hours after I dropped the saw off! lol. (I'm serious about that.lol) You sure showed your "genius" with that saw. I really really appreciate it. When the thread showed up, I turned to my wife, and said 'I may have to stay home from work today!' Of course I didn't, but I sure wanted to. I'll get with ya after the Holiday to finish the business end of the deal. Enjoy your holiday. And thanks again.

Now that you have started posting there's no reason to stop. Slide over to the off-topic area and introduce yourself. There are great guys all over this site. :rock:

How does the 520 compare to the 346, 5100 and 260 as far as weight, handling and controls?
That sure made a nice saw.

Mike

I can't speak for the 5100. But I can say the 346xp is so small and light, it's almost like a toy. By comparison, the 520 is a bit heavy. However, the 520 feels sort of compact and tight. But a 260 feels lighter and more maneuverable, albeit with a bit less torque. I happen to prefer husky controls to a Stihls, so the Echo feel good to me. This also translates to my Macs, since they also have similar controls. The echos have a nice solid feel to them that I like, though. It's difficult to explain. I very much like the looks and feel of the CS-530 and have been trying to get one, but the market is still a bit much. Even so, I wouldn't at all mind another 520. I had a 510, but that's a whole nother story...

I can't speak for the 5100. But I can say the 346xp is so small and light, it's almost like a toy. By comparison, the 520 is a bit heavy. However, the 520 feels sort of compact and tight. But a 260 feels lighter and more maneuverable, albeit with a bit less torque. I happen to prefer husky controls to a Stihls, so the Echo feel good to me. This also translates to my Macs, since they also have similar controls. The echos have a nice solid feel to them that I like, though. It's difficult to explain. I very much like the looks and feel of the CS-530 and have been trying to get one, but the market is still a bit much. Even so, I wouldn't at all mind another 520. I had a 510, but that's a whole nother story...

Didn't you have some vids of that 520 running with a stihl and a 346 at one time or was that someone else? As I recall the 520 more than held its own.

How does the 520 compare to the 346, 5100 and 260 as far as weight, handling and controls?
That sure made a nice saw.

Mike

I've used a 026 more than any other saw except a 028. I'm used to how they feel and handle. That said, I don't own either today. Just not enough speed and too much vibration.

I have a 346xp, 262xp, and 288xp that I've not used much to speak of. I run other Husqvarnas that I build much more than I get to run my own saws. I like these saws well enough that I got them and sold some Stihls to pay for them.

The Echo 520 I ran a little over a tank thru cutting up a 20" pine, and I must say I like it fine. It's not an uncomfortable saw at all, easy to find controls, the choke is well thought out and clicks open when the throttle is pulled. The anti-vib would be my biggest concern. I don't think it would be as easy on the body as a spring dampened Husky.

I'd like to get a 520 for myself, just to break out at a GTG and kick Stihls and Huskys around. :laugh:

I just got a Echo CS5000 a week ago.Tore it all down and cleaned it up.That saw is built very well! i will have to try some porting on it.Right after that saw got here a CS 4600 and a CS 4000 showed up The 4600 was mashed from a tree falling on it.The 4000 had a scored P&C.So I stole the jug and piston from the 4600 and put it on the 4000.Bolted right on!So it will get ported also. They both seem to run very smooth.And have a good feel to them.They both run very well stock.But seeing how i don't have any money in them I will port them.These will be my 2nd & 3rd try at porting. LOL My first port job was a husky 350 that turned out nice?These Echos seem to be built very well.So why not give it a shot? EDIT: These saws are not clam shell

Last edited:
Back