Mastermind Meets The MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to know just how dam many licks ''does'' it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

How to become intelligent, beautiful, motivated, and increase my libido all while making a fortune in real estate.
Build a time-machine, don't smoke pot, stay in school, work-out, eat oysters, buy property on Vancouver Island .

Last edited:
Anyone have some advice on a 066 BB project that I am doing ? Are the gains found about the same way as the 660 build? What I mean is the exhaust port to high on the BB cylinder also?

Here we go with the rhubarb stuff again... Hey, I got some blueberries ready to pick. You want me to get the wife to make you a cobbler?

Oh hell yes. :rock:

I changed it because Will is not a hillbilly. I have modded over 2000 saws now and I do agree trial and error is important in perfecting a design. I am very pompous when it comes to physics and misconceptions because most clowns stick by their beliefs. Will backed down and admitted he jumped the gun. That is admirable and he is welcome here in August to eat steak and drink cold beer during our loggersports. I am trying to become a less arrogant person but it is difficult sometimes.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step. :msp_thumbup:

My comfort zone does not include teaching physics to mechanics. It is like trying to fill a 45 gallon-drum with an eye-dropper.

I'm a mechanic and I take great offense to that. Since these days you actually have to be pretty smart if you want to keep up with the automotive business. Good day!!

When I made the post about the piston crown it was not meant to disparage anyone. Anyone who thinks they are going to hold information at bay in the age of the world wide web is delusional. The info can be found. Some will share it freely, and some will impede it.

BTW, since I live in West Virginia, I'll be the judge of who is a hillbilly and who isn't.

I'm a mechanic and I take great offense to that. Since these days you actually have to be pretty smart if you want to keep up with the automotive business. Good day!!
I am a journeyman mechanic too Will. My dad told me to get a trade if I wanted to be a good engineer. I did both. Burned myself, cut myself, paid my dues. I have been pulling wrenches for 25 years. Please don't take offense.

True, the more surface area the better. But from what I've seen, I can't tell much difference between flat or tapered. But ya never know till u try. Give her a whirl. :)

To my simple mind, as long as your not getting crazy carbon spots on the crown, and are showing good flow patterns from the transfers to the chamber, then your good to go. I've pretty much given up on using popups, cause every one I've done has had bad carbon problems, and terrible flow patterns.

Where was the carbon buildup? Do you think that the dome shaped impeded the flame front causing incomplete combustion?

I have been working on 4-stroke engines forever, mostly motorcycles. But, recently have really gotten into 2-stroke theory. They seem simple at first, due to the lack of moving parts compared to a 4-stroke. However, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

Where was the carbon buildup? Do you think that the dome shaped impeded the flame front causing incomplete combustion?

I have been working on 4-stroke engines forever, mostly motorcycles. But, recently have really gotten into 2-stroke theory. They seem simple at first, due to the lack of moving parts compared to a 4-stroke. However, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

I'm with ya. The more I think I know, the more I realize I don't know squat.

I've tried several different shapes and sizes of popups, also done welded(which is the only way I will do one now) and even with the best finish, no sharp angles, and mirror polished, they will still leave carbon on the edges, and show signs of flow disruption from the transfers. It's just the nature of the beast with a popup.

I'm definitely not saying that popups are bad, as some of the strongest saws out there have em. I just "personally" think that cutting the chamber is the better way, when it's possible.

Here is the last one I did. It's a welded popup for a 346NE.

57ceb7ce.jpg

And here it is after a couple tanks of Klotz super techniplate. Nastiest oil I've ever used. This was at 40:1 with non ethanol fuel too. Ignore the massive amounts of carbon, as its not normally that bad, but look at the flow pattern from the transfers.

0300561c.jpg

I have been working on 4-stroke engines forever, mostly motorcycles. But, recently have really gotten into 2-stroke theory. They seem simple at first, due to the lack of moving parts compared to a 4-stroke. However, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Me too......

I'm with ya. The more I think I know, the more I realize I don't know squat.

I've tried several different shapes and sizes of popups, also done welded(which is the only way I will do one now) and even with the best finish, no sharp angles, and mirror polished, they will still leave carbon on the edges, and show signs of flow disruption from the transfers. It's just the nature of the beast with a popup.

I'm definitely not saying that popups are bad, as some of the strongest saws out there have em. I just "personally" think that cutting the chamber is the better way, when it's possible.

Here is the last one I did. It's a welded popup for a 346NE.

57ceb7ce.jpg

And here it is after a couple tanks of Klotz super techniplate. Nastiest oil I've ever used. This was at 40:1 with non ethanol fuel too. Ignore the massive amounts of carbon, as its not normally that bad, but look at the flow pattern from the transfers.

0300561c.jpg

Dang J that Klotz is some nasty stuff...

i hear rhubarb works to check your squish if you dont have any solder around ...........

I don't see the problem. I see nice even swirls coming from each of the four transfer ports.

I have been working on 4-stroke engines forever, mostly motorcycles. But, recently have really gotten into 2-stroke theory. They seem simple at first, due to the lack of moving parts compared to a 4-stroke. However, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Me too......

Dang J that Klotz is some nasty stuff...

So , are you saying that the Bel Ray (hr1)? oil burns cleaner than this ???

Back