Mastermind Meets The MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shiat! In that case I have been handing out free advise for years, and good too!I think I helped reinvent the 2100 husky. But I'm not one to brag:D:D Quite a few copied my patened coolness though!

Well shiat! In that case I have been handing out free advise for years, and good too!I think I helped reinvent the 2100 husky. But I'm not one to brag:D:D Quite a few copied my patened coolness though!

Better watch out for identity theft Norm there's a lot of people that wanna be you right now!

Do you have your own lathe/mill to raise the roof of the cylinder? Any pics of the set up you could share? I dont have the equipment but the shop right across from mine just got a really big, nice lathe. He would be willing to do it but said hes not sure about the setup.

Ya Randy, getting the port in the right place it a big one. Though widening does help. I did a 372BB last year, but used a 272 piston, but the skirts are narrow, didn't allow any room to widen the ports, but it got a popup and raised the ex, and lowered the intake and reworked the transfers, man it was a real runner, sold it to my buddie's tree service company, and he loves it, said its one of his strongest saws, easily outcuts a 7900 with 28" bars.

I don't want to speak for Randy, but he uses a hand held mandrel with a cutter on the end.

This is how I've done it with my lathe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a damn fine lathe Will. They don't make em like that anymore.

I cut an 8" long mandrel from a Dupont material called Delrin. I normally make one end for say 50mm and the other 52mm. Then I mill a slot into the edge that will accept a HHS cutter made from Thinbit parting tool material. It's a bit tricky getting the cutter just the right length so that it cuts to the very edge of the bore and doesn't scratch the plating. The shape of the end of the cutter is the trick there though.

I clamp the mandrel in my vise and slip the jug down over it and turn it with some down pressure a turn or two, then take it off and clean out the shavings. After cutting the jug to within a few thousandths of the height I'm looking for a use sticky back paper on the end of the same mandrel to get any chatter marks out and polish the squish band. Then the same mandrel is chucked up in the lathe to cut the base of the cylinder to set the squish.

I haven't done anything new or special here just used my head.

That's a damn fine lathe Will. They don't make em like that anymore.

I cut an 8" long mandrel from a Dupont material called Delrin. I normally make one end for say 50mm and the other 52mm. Then I mill a slot into the edge that will accept a HHS cutter made from Thinbit parting tool material. It's a bit tricky getting the cutter just the right length so that it cuts to the very edge of the bore and doesn't scratch the plating. The shape of the end of the cutter is the trick there though.

I clamp the mandrel in my vise and slip the jug down over it and turn it with some down pressure a turn or two, then take it off and clean out the shavings. After cutting the jug to within a few thousandths of the height I'm looking for a use sticky back paper on the end of the same mandrel to get any chatter marks out and polish the squish band. Then the same mandrel is chucked up in the lathe to cut the base of the cylinder to set the squish.

I haven't done anything new or special here just used my head.

Thanks! I do love that lathe. Its a great old beast from the 50's. Its only 9" but gets the job done. I need to get a bigger boring bar though, that one works well, but its on the small side for cutting squish bands.

You're way sounds good Randy, sounds like it works for you, and that's all that matters.

Are you sure you didn't read Tree monkey's mind though? I mean you must be Psychic since you copied something that you've never seen before?

Better watch out for identity theft Norm there's a lot of people that wanna be you right now!
LOL! I am good for entertainment:rock: That is a nice lathe, and that is why you guys are the pro's much of this is over my head, especially the stuff that involves alot of measuring and numbers.

Thanks! I do love that lathe. Its a great old beast from the 50's. Its only 9" but gets the job done. I need to get a bigger boring bar though, that one works well, but its on the small side for cutting squish bands.

You're way sounds good Randy, sounds like it works for you, and that's all that matters.

Are you sure you didn't read Tree monkey's mind though? I mean you must be Psychic since you copied something that you've never seen before?

Well the fact of the matter is just this.......I bought a four jaw chuck, some aluminum plate, and some all thread. I started setting up to mount a jug on my lathe the way you, Eric, and Dennis have shown it done. Well I could see that this was a large pain in the ass, and remembered Scott bragging about doing it by hand with his super secret patented "tool". I thought about it for at least 30 seconds, milled a slot in my mandrel..............

You get my meaning?????? :D

a friend of mine and fellow member here just got done doing the squish band and took down the base on my 046 no power tools involved just some sand paper. Different strokes for different folks but you have to use what you have.

Just asking for help and opinion here. If you take a cylinder and just raise exhaust without changing transfers, wouldnt you just be losing torque no matter what the exhaust timing is. My understanding during blowdown your just building up pressure that is acting against rotation of the crank until transfers open?

Anyone have any opinions on this or can tell me where my thinking is wrong?

Good work Randy, I want my 066 to look like that 660, or atleast better than it was....

Was a nice day here today, hope you atleast stopped to have a beer.:wink2:

Anyone have any opinions on this or can tell me where my thinking is wrong?

After many different saws on my bench I can only say that the more I learn the less I really understand.

Blowdown is the time in crankshaft rotational degrees that the exhaust is open before the transfers begin to let air fuel mixture into the cylinder. Now what you may be thinking about is the time between the intake closing and the transfers opening. During that time the mixture is being compressed in the case.

How many have checked that on a wheel?

Good work Randy, I want my 066 to look like that 660, or atleast better than it was....

Was a nice day here today, hope you atleast stopped to have a beer.:wink2:

I quit drinking many years ago..........but I did stop for an ice cream once today. :)

We'll get that 066 up to speed for you. :rock:

Sounds good i do very little myself, mainly mountain dew it keeps me:blob2:
Inlaws cashed in their Becks seed points and got a new tv and a ms290. Kinda cool, but would be nice if they couldve got a bigger saw. Bro in law was cutting down the willows growing by the pond. He was excited to use it. Whole gang helped out and got lots of sun.:)

After many different saws on my bench I can only say that the more I learn the less I really understand.

well randy that sounds like a problem for sure.
thats the difference between me and you, i do understand what and why i do what i'm doing.

i wish you good luck with your ventures

a friend of mine and fellow member here just got done doing the squish band and took down the base on my 046 no power tools involved just some sand paper. Different strokes for different folks but you have to use what you have.

Hey man,

Any pics or more details of the set up?

Blowdown is the time in crankshaft rotational degrees that the exhaust is open before the transfers begin to let air fuel mixture into the cylinder. Now what you may be thinking about is the time between the intake closing and the transfers opening. During that time the mixture is being compressed in the case.

How many have checked that on a wheel?

I quit drinking many years ago..........but I did stop for an ice cream once today. :)

We'll get that 066 up to speed for you. :rock:

I know what blowdown is but i forgot the fact that the intake is still open during this time. Wouldnt this mean that between the transfers opening and the intake closing your losing pressure out the intake? Wouldnt a reed cage valve stop this?
I believe its all about crankcase pressure and how much velocity you can get on the intake for more fuel and having enough pressure to raise transfers and push more fuel through them.
Just wanting to hear some opinions, i appreciate your reply Randy.

thats the difference between me and you, i do understand what and why i do what i'm doing.

I do know one thing, you are an ####### treedude. The 460 Randy did for me flat screams compared to stock. I have heard you do good work, but your attitude prevents me from even considering sending you paying work. Plus you dont seem willing to post any pics of what you do. I call it as I see it.

Tell us how it is then? Tell me about crankcase pressures and velocity? Do you have formulas for this?

I dont think randy needs your wish of good luck - i think he is doing just fine. While your running your mouth, he's modding saws and sharing all the results and info for everybody else to learn.

He is one of the most respected saw modders on this site - your really making a fool of yourself.

Back