Max rpm on a stock 038 AV.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am tuning up a buddies 038 AV (not a super or mag) and need to know the unloaded rpm max to set it at.Thanks:)

Cliff
My Stihl books call for 12,000-12,500 on the 038,038S,038M.
There is also a foot note that says.
Note: Maximum RPM's shown are the RPM the unit will run without load to engine.Set RPM's for power first,then check to see that the RPM's are not over maximum.Most of the time,the RPM will be 500 to 1000 RPM less than maximum.
Later
Dan

Thanks,Dozer:) I set it at 11,000 to 11,500 this morning.It seems to run good there.I'll try it at 12,000 and see if there is much difference.

When they say no load, that means no load on the chain, not no load at all.

I know this guy who couldn't get his oiler working so he took off the chain, bar and side plate, started the saw, and pegged the throttle. Well when it really got going the clutch exploded!
One of the clutch weights skipped off his head on it's way straight up in the air! He was alright once the bleeding stopped, but anyway, he shut the saw off, and was standing there looking in amazement at the exploded clutch, wiping the blood off his face and talking about how stupid he was, when the weight came slamming back to earth just a few feet away. The thing was airborne for like 30 seconds!

Back