Maxima K2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The duct tape trick is quit useful in MI as it keeps snow from being blown onto a hot motor. It also brings the saw up to operating temps quicker in sub zero cold. Stihl actually sells a alloy plate for this, but duct tape is cheaper.
As far as the stabil thing goes. Rob, I wouldnt make it a habit of running stabil through your motors as its not really good for your motor. Stabil should only be used for long term storage and even then I am not so sure it even works.

Robert, If you are running 100LL in your saws you dont have to worry about stabil as it already has a stabaliser added. Avgas will also last much longer in storage(especially in metal cans) than no-lead as it is not made from the dregs of the refinery sytem like pump gas. Its actually refined from its own heavly alkalted stream.

Gatkeeper1, Your right it is printed on the label back. I bet if you called maxima they would tell you k2 would meet the specs you listed. Super m is no where near as clean as some of the other synthetic oils. It also a synthetic blend.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Rotax Robert
The old Duct tape trick should be employed whenever you dont know how to adjust the jets or don't know what the heck your talking about...

I guess it isnt a problem with the Predator but with a 2cycle air cooled the air flow is set up to be adequate for the hottest wheather a saw could expect to operate in. It doesnt have a thermostat to prevent overcooling when it is say -30 outside. What happens is that the piston is hot and expanded and the cylinder is not. You can get cold squeeze of the piston. If you are also sucking in some powder snow to compromise your lubrication you could have a problem. Compound this with the dense cold air creating a leaning effect on your mixture and it increases the odds. Husqvarna has a winter kit available for at least some saws. I simply use the old duct tape trick to close off some of the fan intake area and open the high speed jet a bit when it is really cold.

Frank

Rotax,

The snow is'nt 5 feet deep or anything but I have been doing alot of logging in 2-3 feet of powder and it does'nt take much to suck that crap up..I don't know it works for me,but anyway how do you like that fuel AV that is??

Gypo,

Are you serious about only using 10 gallons a year :confused: I usually use 10 gallons a week sometimes more or less depending..

Later Rob..

Latest posts

Back