May 20th 49 degrees?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
last night was May 20th and here in Chester County PA it is normally hot and humid by now. I had to have a fire in the stove, the outside temp read 49 and the indoor was 59. Whats the summer goiong to be like?

Mid 30's here for the 3rd night in a row. (36, 34, 35). Had another fire last night. Never burned this late in the year before.

What's next winter going to be like?

I've been burning intermitently lately. Especially if it's damp or raining out. Takes the chill off the house. Mostly been using the crapwood, chunks, broken bits etc..just too clean out the barn.

I've been burning intermitently lately. Especially if it's damp or raining out. Takes the chill off the house. Mostly been using the crapwood, chunks, broken bits etc..just too clean out the barn.

+1 - Same deal in NH. Continued unseasonably cool temps have given us a chance to make productive use of all the butts, splinters, pieces of bark that are a byproduct of winter splitting and kindling production. One of the few times I can gather fuel from the barn with a broom!

Yep, here in Buffalo (suburbs) it was 38 last night. My gram's house had snow on the porch, and it was 31.

A few years ago I took a canoe trip down in Letchworth at the beginning of May, when I woke up the next morning there was 3" of snow on the ground, and my canoe had Ice in it, there's nothing worse than packing up a wet tent.

Global warming my :censored: . Who else is ready to start blowing up aerosol cans? :chainsaw: ... Just kidding of course.

A counterintuitive climate change theory

Global warming my :censored: . Who else is ready to start blowing up aerosol cans? :chainsaw: ... Just kidding of course.

I don't know the science behingd the theory, but there's a counterintuitive argument that global warming may actually result in the cooling of the Eastern U.S. and Northern Europe. :confused:

Saw something on the Discovery Channel. Something to the effect of global warming melts the ice cap, infusing cold water into the Atlantic and disrupting the flow of the Gulf Stream, which regulates and moderates climate. Now temperate regions' climates could, forseeably, more closely resemble Alaska's.
:jawdrop:

I think the theory is somewhat controversial and is only partially accepted by the scientific community.

Anyhow, the comments in this thread add some credibility to the theory.

In Provo, Utah, Monday, 88 degs, Tuesday 94 degs, Wednesday, 50 degs.

All I ask for is a little consistency.

last night was May 20th and here in Chester County PA it is normally hot and humid by now. I had to have a fire in the stove, the outside temp read 49 and the indoor was 59. Whats the summer goiong to be like?

Cant ever remember it being this cold at the end of may. Supposed to warm up next week.
Before long it will be got, humid, and hazy.......

Great working weather if the rain would finally stop.

It was 81F here on Monday and the NWS is thinking we might see S*N*O*W Thursday through the Memorial Day weekend.

WoW!

attachment.php

I had snow at my camp Sunday, south of Rochester, NY.

I have burned wood almost every night in May.
Al Gore must have shut his trap lately, and the earth is now cooling.

If y'all are looking for the heat we have it all down here. Yesterdays high 95, this mornings low 77. Man you know it's going to be a hot day when it starts out at 77. But it sure makes the beer taste good.:cheers: :cheers: :givebeer:

Ain't that the truth!

I leave Buffalo for Venice Beach, FL, where its high 80's-low 90's on Saturday... and in Buffalo Sunday its supposed to be 72! I leave to get away from this crappy weather, and it decides to be nice... I know when I come back its gonna be cold again :greenchainsaw: .

All I know is there was 1 good week for golf, and I wasn't able to get out during it, so I'll be golfing for the first time this season in Florida, I hope those courses need some pool's dug, because they way I hack for the first few rounds of the season I'll be digging some good sized divots :dizzy: .

Last edited:
I don't know the science behingd the theory, but there's a counterintuitive argument that global warming may actually result in the cooling of the Eastern U.S. and Northern Europe. :confused:

Saw something on the Discovery Channel. Something to the effect of global warming melts the ice cap, infusing cold water into the Atlantic and disrupting the flow of the Gulf Stream, which regulates and moderates climate. Now temperate regions' climates could, forseeably, more closely resemble Alaska's.
:jawdrop:

I think the theory is somewhat controversial and is only partially accepted by the scientific community.

Anyhow, the comments in this thread add some credibility to the theory.

New idea is any change in the weather of any kind long term, short term warming, cooling, drying, or increase in precipatation is all man made global warming. 50 dgrees and raining here very cold for this time of year.

The past few nights here in southern Wisconsin its been in the mid 30s. Im not complaining. I know that all too soon summer will arrive and we will be dealing with temps in the 90s and high humidity. I hate summer, so the longer we keep these cool temps, the better.

Checked the outside temp this am 30* Yesterday I took a stroll down woodrow alley with the shopping cart(wheelbarrow) like I was in the grocery store. Grabbed all the dry twisted split crotches and anything that dont stack nice off the top and stacked in by the woodfurnace.

Lit a fire and now I am drinking coffee enjoying the warmth before off to work.
But I still forgot to plug in the diesel truck last night.:dizzy:

Never had to at the start of memorial day weekend.

Dude it was 35 here that night and barely cracked 40 all day long. Records were set all over the state for the low temps.

I don't mind too much. Anywhere between fifty and sixty is just fine if you're working outside.

On the 18/19th we hit record high's @115, today the 23rd we are going for a whopping high of 65:( and currrently it is 45 with snow in the high countries.
My buddy from Salt Lake City called yesterday and he had light flurries in the valley with major snow storms pounding the ski resorts.

Talk about major changes in weather:censored:

Latest posts

Back