McCulloch 1-43 chainsaw; need chain, bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chris.miller

chris.miller

I've got an older chainsaw McCulloch 1-43.
Any advice welcdmed. It runs well, but doesn't cut well; I think the chain is worn, and it cuts at an angle, leading me to believe the bar probably is worn as well...?

Any way to get this running cheaply? Don't seem to find chain or bars readily.

Chris

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
How long of a bar do you want? I've got a bar thats about 16" long, hardtip style for a Mac here. chain is .404 pitch .063 gauge. readily available from Baileys.

chris.miller

chris.miller

bar length

bar length isn't so important. It has an 18" bar now; a 16" might work ok. Is the bar new, or ?

I'm cutting firewood for myself on a wooded acre lot; don't expect to be cutting down the biggest trees in the forest. I have a lightweight Sears 18" saw I can pull out if I need the extra 2" of cut.

Seems like the bar I have is a .058; but the slot has widened up to around .063 along it's length (but not on the tip), and the chain is worn, I think.

I'm not a chainsaw expert. I've also seen some people saying you can modify a larger Homelite or Stihl bar with a small bushing, then use the chain that matches that bar.

Obviously I don't want to approach the cost of a good new saw in repairing this one...

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
The bar I have, is used, but still serviceable, or if you wish, I've even got a 12" bar for the same saw, or a 18' bar, you'd just have to drill the oil hole into it, and you're in business.