McCulloch 250 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DmW

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm brand new here and found the site while searching the web to ID an old saw I came into possion of. 1st of all I have to say.. WOW.. what a wealth of information you have here. After spending hours browsing other sites it only took about 10 minutes to find what I needed here. Anyway, I still have a coupe of question I'm hoping someone can help me with.
The saw in question appears to be a McCulloch 250
with a 24" blade. My 1st question is although the beginning of the serial number matches whats on the colletors page (10) the model number doesn't. The data sheet says it should be a 600110 and mine says it's a 600105. I'm just curious about that one. Now on to more important things. I can get it to start but it only runs for about 1 second before cutting off. I've checked everything obvious to me like fuel, fuel feed, filter, etc but no luck. That leads to my 2nd question. Can someone point to directions on how to set the carb up correctly and somewhere to get a carb kit for it? I know that it's old and from what I've read here not exacly a "treasured" saw but I wanted to try and get it running while I'm between jobs.

Thanks,
David

whell that saw runs a tillitson hl carb which is a standard carb that was used in just about every saw for about 30 years. you can get the carb kits ant any small engine shop just get the number off the front flange of the carb where it bolts on to the intake neck it should be something like HLxxx. and the initial adjustments for both high and low is 1.5 turns out from bottom.

welcome to the fold

Hey good luck with your new saw, and the regular abuse you are about to take. It is all in good fun(mostly) but if you like macs, you will be in for a bit of being treated like the guy who pooped in the punch bowl around here. I think I am up to 13 macs now, more than I need but nowher near what some of these guys have. I hope I dont get in trouble here, but try http://www.mfgsupply.com/ChainSaw.html/ for a carb rebuild kit. I have ordered all kinds of stuff from there that I could not get anywhere else. I dont think they will have an air filter, I can email you a guy who has them though. Good luck and enjoy the saw! JB PS, if that thing has been sitting around along time, you might want to run carb cleaner, stabil, marvel mystery oil, or something else through it to get all the lacquer out.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll pick up the kit and let you know how it goes. I don't have a steady need for a saw here in NC but when we get these occasional ice storm (like last week) they're real handy for getting trees off the house. :)

david

i have cut enough cord of wood with a mac 250 to tell you that you will want to find a way to isolate the vibrations in the handels. you will get the numb hand syndrome in about 5 minutes

How would you go about doing that? Can the bolt holes on the handle be drilled out large enough to insert some rubber bushings or something like that?

david

Back