• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy McCulloch 797 or SP/CP 125

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colton T

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As title states looking to purchase a large McCulloch; recently had one and sold it and wish I would have kept so looking for another one! If you know where one is or have one to sell please let me know!

Thank you!

I have a good running 394xp I could throw in the deal as well.

IMG_1294.JPG pic is when I got it. looks same ex has outer dawg now.
the minuses...
in the pic is a crack in top cover. easily welded, but would lose paint & decal. does not affect af.
the frame, for lack of better word, visible under muff also has small crack on one of the middle ribs. not so easily welded.
the plug hole was stripped. I made a steel insert that hasn't and doesn't wanna come out. ive tried to get it out.
handlebar bracket on one side was broke & repaired [weld] before I got it. small steel piece, easy to replace.
plusses are it runs, seems healthy, tho haven't had anything to bury it in. 32 in pic.
also have oe mac 24 fits it.
decal says super 797, but some say it's not, or maybe piston/rings been changed. one has thick, the other thin rings.
piston looks good.
will try & find more pics & put em up here.
in the meantime, if the -'s haven't scared ya way yet, feel free to ask anything or if u want specific pics, lemme know.

Thanks for the pics! If you can get some pics of the repairs and cracks it would be appreciated! Also pics of underside? What do you value it at?

get some pics later or tomorrow. all i'll say bout value is when I was lookin couple yr ago, a complete project could be had for $400., runners $800.+, pho. sure there's deals out there on either side of those #s. findin the lower ones may take some diggin & bein "poor" might help.
want pho, or bars/chains too? new chains. the mac 24" is nice & what ya'd want on it for queen duty. think 32 is or.

IMG_1295.JPG

That rib can be fixed pretty easily, which is good because those lower handle braces are getting quite rare.

One of mine had the front one sort of cracked, so I just drilled holes and inserted finish nails coated with JB Weld, along with JB on the contact surface of the crack and a bit on the sides followed by sanding it to blend it, then paint.

I have a few spares of those braces, but this one wasn't completely trashed, and it's won't see wood, so a bit of JB isn't going to hurt. Rather save those for a trashed one.

Nice 7-10A as well @rocketnorton

I can weld it & may some day. could prolly use couple tacks for now, just so it don't break right off. its only been run couple times since ive had it. few big ones here, don't see much use.

thx on 7-10. it's had couple admirerers, for fullwrap, mostly.

When I get my money freed back up from those 460's I may be interested in purchasing from you!

Ended up finding a decent SP 125c at a good price . . . Unfortunately the piston is a little scored up on the exhaust side. If anyone has a NOS piston for one please let me know.

Thank you!

I sure did, actually found it on Craigslist and bought it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly why I’m in no hurry, will fix when one comes along. . . Def my new favorite saw, getting addicted to these old Mcculloch’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back