McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got seriously into the latest project, an SP60 I got from a member here. I'll let him step forward if he so chooses. He had this saw and really liked it until an Oak tree chose to use it as a 'tent stake' and drove it into the ground all the way to the oil tank. Saw even continued to run!

As you can see in this first photo, some damage is pretty obvious:

We are nearly all cleaned up at this point, only the engine itself remains.

As for that engine, it will also require a bit of attention. The impact caused the anchor for the rear AV mount to break off and you can see that the very first cooling fin on the end is severely bent. I'm going to leave the fin 'as is' and can hopefully salvage the shroud. In the attempt to straighten it out, the rear AV mount broke, so it requires replacing.

For the anchor, I plan on using Crazy Glue to get it in place before building up around it with hi-temp epoxy. If I've done enough homework, it should be good.

I'll hopefully get it put together within the next week. Need to replace the manual oil pump, the internal piston was shattered by the force of the impact.

Also, lest I forget, a HUGE shout out to homelitejim! He was able to send me a few much needed parts and this project would still be under the bench without his help! THANKS JIM!!

:cheers:
You are free to dig through my pile of 10x any time.:msp_biggrin:

*** You can see the stump in the background here. After quartering with the saw and splitting it up, I ended up with 31 pieces from one round...

attachment.php

Mark

Mark, yesterday I was reflecting on your post and your oblivious hard work pictured as I was giving the 82cc MACs (and myself) a real workout bucking some well seasoned and difficult pieces down at the wood lot and while I was deciding what to cut as firewood and what to cut as fodder for the tub grinder. I reached two conclusions. First, I am one spoiled cutter as I mostly cut green wood with nice MACs in beautiful settings where I can usually leave crowns like the one you are whittling down to size and someone else loads and splits what I do cut. Second, I should nevertheless have credit in the bank if I am ever sentenced to prison at hard labor as bucking at the wood lot surely qualifies even though I get to use a MAC. Ron

It was raining Saturday morning so I took advantage of the down time to put another SP81 together out of parts I had around. The bulk of the saw came from a shop in Minneapolis, other bits from here and there including a NOS muffler from pieces I managed to collect.

First time it was together the oiler would not work and the fuel tank had a leaking seam. I decided to try the "Red Kote" treatment on the tank and have high hopes for it. Since the tank was very clean to start with, I flushed it out 3 or 4 times with carburetor cleaner, dried it thoroughly with compressed air, and applied the red kote. Within 12 hours there was only the faintest hint of solvent odor, 24 hours later it seems to be completely cured. I will wait another day to put fuel in it since I didn't want to break the nice quite Sunday afternoon.

The oiler issue was something I'd encountered before but seemed to have forgotten about. The new oiler line I installed had a thicker "flange" where it passes through the tank and somehow the combination either does not allow the check valve (disk) to function or closed off the inlet port altogether. I changed the line to one with a thinner flange and the problem was solved. Does anyone know if there is a thicker gasket available that would accommodate the thicker flange on the line? If I think of it, I will try to get some photos of the two different type of pick up lines during the week.

The saw is about as ugly as any I've seen, but you really must use the compression release to get this one started. Should be interesting when I get a chance to put this one in some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

jtracy - $100 for a 1-71 is a bit steep; if in fact the saw is complete, clean, and running $100 would be acceptable.

The 1-71 is 87 cc, I have one runner and it will really turn some RPM but is so rough otherwise that would hesitate to take it to the woods. I have another one in the attic that is about 85% complete, perhaps one day it will move up on the priority list. The real drawback to the 1-70 series saws is the lack of an automatic oiler, you really have to make a conscience effort to keep pumping the manual oiler when you are cutting.

Mark

Looking good with the 'disguised' 550 Randy. Don (Sawfun9) came by to chat late that Saturday afternoon and noticed your "200" with the 36" B/C sitting next to my pickup. He hadn't been around when you were running it earlier (when that picture was taken). Remarked that this was a LOT of bar for a 200. I clued him in.:D

Rebuilt the carb and replaced the intake gaskets on the S-250 last weekend. Fired it up today. The carb rebuild and gaskets cured the ills it experienced late in the day at the GTG. Forward intake gasket had an obvious leak. All is well with my favorite Mac once more.:cheers:

Thanks for the help. I have not seen much in the way of price when I was reading about this modle. Good to know before I over paid or got saw just because I didn't have one that big yet. Think I will hold off on this one unless he comes. Down on the price. Will just have to wait to get into the 80 cc plus club. O well if I let another saw follow me home the ol lady will probably kill me lol.

jtracy - $100 for a 1-71 is a bit steep; if in fact the saw is complete, clean, and running $100 would be acceptable.

The 1-71 is 87 cc, I have one runner and it will really turn some RPM but is so rough otherwise that would hesitate to take it to the woods. I have another one in the attic that is about 85% complete, perhaps one day it will move up on the priority list. The real drawback to the 1-70 series saws is the lack of an automatic oiler, you really have to make a conscience effort to keep pumping the manual oiler when you are cutting.

Mark

What! Nothing about the PM1000? Good or bad? Well I decided I let to many of these saws pass through my fingers so I shelled out the $140 and brought it home. It was from the original owner who sent it to a reputable shop to have it rebuilt and has not been run much since the work was done as they bought a lighter saw. I will know more after I tear it down and get a peek, the one flaw I can see is a small hole in the top cover.

20130630_125013_zps8007ffd3.jpg

What! Nothing about the PM1000? Good or bad? Well I decided I let to many of these saws pass through my fingers so I shelled out the $140 and brought it home. It was from the original owner who sent it to a reputable shop to have it rebuilt and has not been run much since the work was done as they bought a lighter saw. I will know more after I tear it down and get a peek, the one flaw I can see is a small hole in the top cover.

20130630_125013_zps8007ffd3.jpg

Hey Jim, I had one that I really didn't like. It was a very poor performing saw and heavy. My PM850 would out run it with both saws running 36" bars. I let some guys run it at a GTG and those guys thought the same thing. It would probably run forever if taken care of and would be good for milling.

Good news is, I put mine on eBay and it sold for over $600!!

Hey Jim, I had one that I really didn't like. It was a very poor performing saw and heavy. My PM850 would out run it with both saws running 36" bars. I let some guys run it at a GTG and those guys thought the same thing. It would probably run forever if taken care of and would be good for milling.

Good news is, I put mine on eBay and it sold for over $600!!

Thats what I wanted to hear, keep them coming. I wonder if a long bar would be better suited? It is heavy but no more heavy than any other 6 cube saw I own. I didn't think I did too bad on price, at least I don't feel too bad about it.

Here's the "it did happen video"...

BTW, I made a mistake in the video calling a "full
Wrap" handle. I meant to say wrap around or something like that.

[video=youtube;6glUWsIJFcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6glUWsIJFcA[/video]

Jim you got a good deal on that McToaster. They're a strong saw, but not 'exciting'. Big bars or a mill suit them best. They are DAMN ugly too.:laugh:

Well it sure seems under powered next to the 1050a that thing gets my adrenaline all jacked up and I have yet to put a bar and chain on it. I am waiting for grandpap Thunder to chime in with his stories of the PM1000.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the opinion that the PM100 is not an impressive performer. I have one in decent shape just because...but it is not a saw I would consider taking along on a wood cutting venture.

Indeed, the 82 cc McCullochs are quickly becoming my favorite saws to use, seems I am getting quite a stock of them as well.

SP80 x 2
SP81 x 3
SP81E - original two piece ignition
PM850
PM800 x 3
PM805

For anyone interested, I posted the spike patterns for the 10 Series over in the spike thread.

Mark

anyone got an opinion on the pro mac 555? got a chance to get one cheap. haven't handled it or seen it. owner states "i think the pully for the cord is locked..." sounds suspiciously like the piston is locked up but from the pix it looks good and the price is definitely right, $10.

The 10-10S, PM55, and PM555 are all basically the same saw so parts if needed should not be a major problem. 57 cc displacement, snappy little saws when they are healthy.

I have one with new piston and cylinder, really a great little saw and almost as much fun as my 7-10.

They have minimal anti-vibration technology so running one all day will leave you tingling.

Mark

anyone got an opinion on the pro mac 555? got a chance to get one cheap. haven't handled it or seen it. owner states "i think the pully for the cord is locked..." sounds suspiciously like the piston is locked up but from the pix it looks good and the price is definitely right, $10.

You have to ask??:jester: It is certainly worth that for parts alone. I'm going from memory here, but I think that one is 57cc like the 10-10s. I would snap it up in a heartbeat, even if seized.:msp_thumbsup:
Jim

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the opinion that the PM100 is not an impressive performer. I have one in decent shape just because...but it is not a saw I would consider taking along on a wood cutting venture.

Indeed, the 82 cc McCullochs are quickly becoming my favorite saws to use, seems I am getting quite a stock of them as well.

SP80 x 2
SP81 x 3
SP81E - original two piece ignition
PM850
PM800 x 3
PM805

For anyone interested, I posted the spike patterns for the 10 Series over in the spike thread.

Mark

I checked everything out and did a quick tune, seams to have woken this saw up a bit. My longest small McCullough mount bar is 28" and I ned to sharpen a chain before I can run it and make a video but with temps over 100* I may have to wait.

Back