McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a few more today as well as a couple of boxes of chain and a large Technical Manual.

attachment.php

If anyone needs some 3/8 LP safety chain, I have about 5 lifetimes supply. Send a PM and we can see about working something out.

I put up a "Today's Road Trip" thread in the main section, look there for a more photos of some interesting stuff in the days to come.

Mark

Last edited:
Link

Mark

I have trouble finding things on AS.

It would be a big help if you could put in links to your other entries when you mention them.

ODW

Well...,

The Macs all started right up with fresh mix like I'd run em yesterday. The one with the fuel leak definitely has a fuel leak that seems to be the tank seam as the air box/carb area started filling up as I added mix. Fired right up on prime after I cleaned up the mess.

So I'm either livin' right, or gonna get struck by lightning any minute, now!:msp_scared:

(Poge, I'm just shaking my head here ..... lol)

If that leaking tank is one that comes apart (like single screw on top) you might consider Joey's method of sealing it with 3M 'body decor' foam tape. I have a PM700 from him that hasn't leaked yet. If the troublesome tank has the three screws underneath, I've just recently used Red-Kote sealant with success. Mark H has used it as well and is pleased with the results.

(Poge, I'm just shaking my head here ..... lol)

If that leaking tank is one that comes apart (like single screw on top) you might consider Joey's method of sealing it with 3M 'body decor' foam tape. I have a PM700 from him that hasn't leaked yet. If the troublesome tank has the three screws underneath, I've just recently used Red-Kote sealant with success. Mark H has used it as well and is pleased with the results.

'Preciate the tips. Cleaned off the bench last night to get into it this evening if time permits.

I'm just shaking my head, too....and looking over my shoulder (and watching the sky)!:hmm3grin2orange:

50 pounds of 3/8 LP mostly 56 DL loops, woo hoo...

There may be enough loops of other stuff in there to at least cover what I spent for the lot.

Mark

Are those 56DL loops of 3/8-LP .050G and non safety chain? If so...............we'll probably be making a deal soon. 56DL is what I run on my Poulan tophandles. What brand/type chain is it?

3/8 LP .050 SAFETY CHAIN McCulloch branded and packaged. I will remove some of the packaging to increase the number that will fit in the boxes. Most of the pre-made loops are 56 DL but I can break and spin others counts if needed.

PM for further details if you're interested.

Mark

Houston, we've got a problem...

I need a few front a/v mounts for these PM850 builds. The ones that mount over the oil tank. I've got a few good rear mounts, but the fronts ones I have have seen much better days... they are all real soft and squishy and have lots of cracks.

Otherwise, anyone ever make a solid mount for these?

Figure it could do in a pinch until new mounts can be developed and manufactured. (yes, that's something else I'm looking at... we want to keep every broken mount for those tabs with the bolt holes and stuff, otherwise, it would take more than just molding new rubber onto the metal tabs to make these, which would increase the cost of manufacturing the new parts.)

Houston, we've got a problem...

I need a few front a/v mounts for these PM850 builds. The ones that mount over the oil tank. I've got a few good rear mounts, but the fronts ones I have have seen much better days... they are all real soft and squishy and have lots of cracks.

Otherwise, anyone ever make a solid mount for these?

Figure it could do in a pinch until new mounts can be developed and manufactured. (yes, that's something else I'm looking at... we want to keep every broken mount for those tabs with the bolt holes and stuff, otherwise, it would take more than just molding new rubber onto the metal tabs to make these, which would increase the cost of manufacturing the new parts.)

the rears are close enough to make work. just drill out the threaded inserts.:givebeer:

The inserts can simply be punched out, the parts are the same except for the threaded inserts swaged into the rear mount.

Those mounts are available on e-bay almost all of the time from around $15 to $25 depending on who is selling them.

Kyle, if you come up with a practical way to remanufacture the failed mounts by bonding a new piece of rubber in place you may have a new sideline business to keep you busy. There are many saws out there with rubber mounts bonded to steel that eventually fail including models by Jonsered, Poulan, and McCulloch, no doubt there are a lot of others as well. You are going to be very busy if you can get even a few of your ideas move forward.

Mark

The bonding part would be easy there's may chemicals out there for heat bonding. The issue I see anyway is actually making the rubber part. In the past I have had to fix engine mounts in cars. There's a fine line between melting and burning the rubber. What I have done is added 2 part epoxy to the rubber to help adhesion when melting it. Best to use what's called "virgin" blocks. Or if you don't want that hassle you could always carve out blocks with a small saw or heat knife.

Sorry Ron, I'm kinda at a stalemate with the 850 build right now.

25 bucks plus shipping is too much for an AV mount. Seeking other alternatives right now. Possibly will make the first (to my knowledge) solid mount 82cc Mac.

Kyle. I haven't done it yet - except in my tiny brain - but I have toyed with running a machine screw through the metal brackets and the separated or torn rubber. :msp_unsure: I have also looked for springs to make a spring mount. If you know how to make a spring (I don't) it would seem easy to make a spring with a center space in the coils for the center bolt and ends that ell up and out with eyes that you could run the outer bolts through. Ron

Ok fellas, I finally got a chance to tear my Pro Mac 805 down and here is what I found. I don't recall seeing many cylinders or pistons look like this, however I haven't been on this site too awful long either. What's your thoughts? I believe it will clean up and I can get away with a piston and rings but we'll see.

Intake side of the cylinder

Intake side of piston

Exhaust side of cylinder

Exhaust side of piston

Last edited:
Those are some good pictures.

Clean off the aluminum transfer, smooth out the edges and the cylinder will be good. You'll definitely need a piston and rings.

Congrats, you'll have a good running saws soon.

Joey

Thanks Joey! I just hope I can get it back together. It was my first Mac tear down and it was difficult, but I finally got it.

Latest posts

Back