McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only the 3-25 has the handle which curls up into a rubber grommet in the fan shroud.
Not entirely true. The early 4-30 had the same handle with rubber grommet but later switched to a stronger handle because of the extra power the saw put out the handle setup wasn't reliable. You don't see many of these like this but they were made like this when they first came out.

Nick

Power Mac 6, not to be confused with a Mini Mac. There are some parts that are harder to find like the curious fuel line and fuel filter they used on those saws, but a PM6 in good condition still a very nice top handle saw.

They are a good bit louder than their more modern counterparts.

The one in your photo is missing the front handle, mount is broken off at the top handle. That was a common failure on the early models with the banana handle.

DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

There was an add on brace for the bottom of the banana handle, later models had a more conventional 1/2 wrap.

DSC00604.JPG

Mark

My IPL's only go up to 1978 (Power Mac 6 first came out around 1969) but yes, they were still using the large felt filter in the fuel tank and the rubber plug fuel line going through it. Look carefully at the illustration, you have to fit that filter and fuel line through the filler and press the rubber fuel line through the tank. When installed on the saw the tapered end of the fuel line and built in grommet seal against the fuel inlet to the carburetor.

The '75-'78 IPL shows the chain brake and the more conventional rectangular shaped 1/2 wrap handle.

Mark

Attachments

• Power Mac 6 March 1971 Fuel Tank and Starter.pdf
    204.3 KB · Views: 5
My IPL's only go up to 1978 (Power Mac 6 first came out around 1969) but yes, they were still using the large felt filter in the fuel tank and the rubber plug fuel line going through it. Look carefully at the illustration, you have to fit that filter and fuel line through the filler and press the rubber fuel line through the tank. When installed on the saw the tapered end of the fuel line and built in grommet seal against the fuel inlet to the carburetor.

The '75-'78 IPL shows the chain brake and the more conventional rectangular shaped 1/2 wrap handle.

Mark

Thanks for the illustration. I'd say "curious" is being kind regarding your description of the setup! Wow. Hope mine is salvageable, but not likely based on the general condition of the saw....which is not all that bad, just appears to have been left outdoors for quite some time and is covered in crud with a very rusty bar and chain.

I just picked up a couple of these and a box of part saws. Just wasn't sure about them.

Depending on your intentions, mine is the later version and is missing the muffler and chain brake should you happen to have those parts. Piston looks great in mine and it has great compression, so is certainly worth a shot at being made a runner again. May even clean it up a bit this afternoon to get a better look at what I have. A guy gave it to me as a toss-in with another saw I bought from him.

I have a large box of NOS and used mufflers, mostly the stack type. I'd be happy to send some out just to make room in the box...

I have only seen/had the one with the chain brake, it was the NOS unit pictured above that I decided not to keep. Someone on this site bought it but I cannot remember who it was.

Mark

View attachment 407264

Can anyone give me info on this. Is it just an older mini Mac or is there actually a following.

Power Mac 6, not to be confused with a Mini Mac. There are some parts that are harder to find like the curious fuel line and fuel filter they used on those saws, but a PM6 in good condition still a very nice top handle saw.

They are a good bit louder than their more modern counterparts.

The one in your photo is missing the front handle, mount is broken off at the top handle. That was a common failure on the early models with the banana handle.

View attachment 407265

View attachment 407266

There was an add on brace for the bottom of the banana handle, later models had a more conventional 1/2 wrap.

View attachment 407267

Mark
i'm thinking your top handle looks more like the newer rather than the older. doesn't look broken off, just looks gone. course I may be wrong

The saw with the missing wrap handle has the "mount" for the handle broken off. The wrap portion of the handle slips over a projection on the top handle, not otherwise secured at the top but bolted on the bottom. Look carefully at Pogo's photos and you can see how the top handle fits over the projection.

The banana wrap handles bolt to the top handle, they had to since the original versions did not have a brace at the bottom.

Mark

I recently purchased a McCulloch chainsaw bar with a skip tooth chain and sprocket, however the 7 tooth -.404 drive sprocket is too lardge to fit my clutch drum. The saw currently has a 7 tooth 3/8'' sprocket. Does anyone make a .404 drive sprocket/clutch drum for a McCulloch 10-10. Could I run the .404 chain on the 3/8'' sprocket.

I recently purchased a McCulloch chainsaw bar with a skip tooth chain and sprocket, however the 7 tooth -.404 drive sprocket is too lardge to fit my clutch drum. The saw currently has a 7 tooth 3/8'' sprocket. Does anyone make a .404 drive sprocket/clutch drum for a McCulloch 10-10. Could I run the .404 chain on the 3/8'' sprocket.

A .404 is too much for a 1010 to be comfortable. You should change out the bar tip from .404 to 3/8 and get the proper gauge 3/8 chain - likely .063 but you should verify. Ron

Latest posts

Back