McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know anything about an EB358A, but I have a FR4618. FR4618 is a factory referbished 46cc plastic Mac. I think these saws would be a good saw for a homeowner who uses it once or twice a year and then cleans it up and puts it in the garage. They are not for a real wood cutter. Not even a fireplace firewood cutter.

ODW

I don't know anything about an EB358A, but I have a FR4618. FR4618 is a factory referbished 46cc plastic Mac. I think these saws would be a good saw for a homeowner who uses it once or twice a year and then cleans it up and puts it in the garage. They are not for a real wood cutter. Not even a fireplace firewood cutter.

ODW

Therefore a Wildthing(ish) is a better alternative.

67L36Driver
Your post says that you have a bunch of saws "running and project". I don't know what you want with a EB358A(made by MTD) or even a Wildthing(ish) saw. If you just want to spend some money on a saw, I would look for a cheep, running, big 10 series saw, like a 7-10 McCulloch. It's a 70cc saw and will serve you well.

Note: the info on the EB358A can be found at www.mtdlawnmowerparts.com/manuals.php

ODW

67L36Driver
Your post says that you have a bunch of saws "running and project". I don't know what you want with a EB358A(made by MTD) or even a Wildthing(ish) saw. If you just want to spend some money on a saw, I would look for a cheep, running, big 10 series saw, like a 7-10 McCulloch. It's a 70cc saw and will serve you well.

Note: the info on the EB358A can be found at www.mtdlawnmowerparts.com/manuals.php

ODW
Just looking out for easy flips to support the main collection.

BTW a 40 or 42 cc Wildthing can be tinkered to run great. After you dump the 18" bar for a 14".

This is about the last non Homelite item I have in the shed, so I was thinking about letting it go. I assumed it was for a two man, but I guess it could be for a big one man saw too. Can anyone ID it for me. I can't find any numbers on the bar. It has the old Mac "Geese Flying" logo on it. I think the bar is 52 inches long. Thanks, Joe.

Got an update on my mac 77, finally repaired the recoil and its operational. Big thanks to Mark for sending me a starter clutch spring! Discount marine had the remaining parts I needed. There was crank in the recoil housing which would allow gear oil to drain out from behind the assembly. So I used a little JB weld on the inside and it seems to be holding nicely plus you cant see it which is plus. Poured some fuel in the intake, and got nothing. I had already checked my spark which was good so I took the plug out, added fuel and she poped! I removed the primer and cleaned it out. Removed the fuel tank and split it, the wick is in good shape and so is the pump diaphragm, its flexible and not stiff.
(null) (1).jpg (null) (2).jpg
I took the flywheel off thinking there was a cover plate that would give you access to the carb underneath which was not the case. IMG_0861.JPG
When I removed the plate in the above picture I believe I was looking at part of the rotary valve assembly? But Im not sure.
IMG_0862.JPG

To remove the carb from the saw do you loosen the nut on the bottom of the carb then it should drop down correct?
What kind of gasket material do you guys use for these gas tank half gaskets? Do you use any other sealing products on the gasket before assembling or is the gasket enough?

Thanks for the input, will keep you posted on the prgress

Hey Mark, that sounds great. Am I correct that by removing the nut below the carb it will free the carb for removal? Compression is excellent on this saw so it should be a good addition.
Thanks again for the spring

Fixing a no spark issue on my SP 81 and I was just wondering. Should I just go with one of those electronic modules to bypass the points or pick up some new points, condenser and coil?

Me3ohMldHgvl0tzHTfgQX-4UU-UE3xinqtY6puLFm0Q=w104-h183-p-no
IMAG0068%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0073%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0074%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0075%5B1%5D.jpg

I didn't take the points loose, just ran some 1500 grit wet dry paper between them to clean them up. I also disconnected the switch lead from the coil, still no fire.

I didn't get a good picture of the coil, but the "face" of it looks to have some damage to the epoxy with some of the winding wires showing. The winding wires have their coating rubbed off. It almost appears the coil was loose and has been rubbing against the flywheel.

Try cleaning the points, often as simple as just dragging a piece of paper through them to wipe off any accumulation. Old timers used a dollar bill for this...

Mark

Back