McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are y'all doing? I haven't been active on AS very much recently, but I have a few questions. My attempts to use the search function here didn't give any useful results, which is probably my fault :confused:.

My chainsaw collection is mostly Jonsereds, Poulans, and Remingtons; I have little experience with McCullochs.
I rently bought a Model 99 engine only (no handles, no bar, no bar clamp) and the P&C look good through the exhaust port.

Some questions:

Is the Model 99 a rare saw?
How much compression should it have?
Will the bar & calmp from other Mac models fit the 99?

As always, thanks for your help!

I may have a handle available but it would be a while before I have access to it. I have located a model 99, and two 12-25's plus two two man Mac handles but do not know if 12-25 and 99 handles are the same. Mark, if interested in the 2 mans I could try to bring them to the PNW gtg.

SP 81 smokes like a freight train. When I rebuilt it, I was careful to seal the oil tank to block bolts with Permatex ultra-grey. I also added a NOS oil pump with new rubber gasket. I thought the gasket may have been a little stiff and didn't add any ultra-grey to the gasket.

I think I may have to open up the oil tank clean it out good, remove the oil pump and re-seal the gasket.

What do you guys think?

thanks in advance

Jeff

I will hang on to that informtion Joey, good stuff.

I found a piston last week with a part number 87791. It was the same basic dimensions as 92518/519/520 ("A", "B", and "C" pistons) used in the later 82 cc saws. Looking through my IPL's I see is belongs with an SP80 with serial number 14-XXXX.

McCulloch did a lot of crazy mix and match, often makes it very difficult to state any hard and fast rules about what part numbers go where.

Mark

Mark, one of these 87791 Pistons just showed up on evilbay. It's the first I've seen. I can't see from the pic of its thick ring or not. Do you remember what yours is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's any help but here's a listing on ebay for the 87791 piston which call for 87854 ring set. the seller is out of Buffalo I think.
The tag on my SP80 is MIA but the IPL I have for the 13-XXXX, lists either the 87791 or the 85244 piston with different ring numbers for each.

I'm not familiar with the diff between thick and thin rings but I would say the piston on my 80 has thin rings as they are very thin.

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/mccullo...cc-87791-piston-2-05-sp80-sp-80-/221597784574

HaHa
DSC1stSearsSaw.JPG

If I remember the old rules, after this length of time, Craftsman pics are alowed on this thread.:rolleyes:

67L36Driver

You are right. Sears never made a chainsaw! Sears doesn't even make the stickers they put on the chainsaws they sell as theres.:nofunny:

However, for a while, McCulloch was (Black and Decker) then (Husqvarna) then (Jenn Feng - a Taiwanese company) then (MTD) and then the North American McCulloch brand was regained by Husqrarna.:dizzy:

So McCulloch chainsaws are Husqvarna.:eek:

ODW

P.S. Hay Mark, I like you four cylinder "McCulloch" chainsaw motor.:clap:

Back