McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ginger - they are worth whatever some one will pay. Personally I think they look a bit cobbled with the square tank on top. I would not go over $100.

Ron - don't leave us hanging, where did the compression go? I have an SP105 that suddenly got weak, when I was preparing to restart it I noticed the compression release was MIA.

Mark

As soon as I know I'll let you know. His PM800 doesn't have a dsp. It felt to turn over easier than one with the valve opened. Bryan is hoping for a hole in the piston.

I have had both a 800 and a 125 continue to cut with the DSP spinning loose.

Ron

Can anyone shed light on the Pro Mac 72? There is one listed on E-bay ad it doesn't look like any McCulloch I am aware of.

Just checked Acres site and he describes it as an Italian McCulloch. Interesting.

Mark
It's italian made by electrolux

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

Well I got to tare down the PM 800 today. Not good. Anyone got a cylinder? It is not trashed, but has a small chunk of the chrome missing. Wonder if it could be re chromed. I get motorcycles re nikisiled at US Chrome but that cost 150.00 or did the last time I had one done (motorcycle). As ron said this one runs very strong and I hate to change anything. It looks like it leaned out. The seal behind the flywheel was very bad and the pulse tube from the cylinder and the carb was leaky. The biggest thing that I think caused this is the seal behind the flywheel. All the bearings look good, no play in either of them. I have been gathering the parts to refresh the saw and had plans to refresh it in a few weeks. All I was missing was the rings. That's what I get for waiting. I was having trouble with the oil pump also that could have been also causing it to be lean and I found out that the spring that held the back of the oil pump up had fallen off and could have been letting it suck a little air also. I just hope I can find a cylinder and piston that are in good shape.

Attachments

• 100_5487.JPG
    100_5487.JPG
    675.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_5486.JPG
    100_5486.JPG
    748.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_5485.JPG
    100_5485.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_5484.JPG
    100_5484.JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_5483.JPG
    100_5483.JPG
    797.8 KB · Views: 38
Also found the fuel line had a small hole in it. The one picture shows the parts that I found in the oil tank. I had noticed that it was going threw oil about two tanks of oil to one tank of fuel. So I am betting this was the culprit.
I have beeen going threw my 10-10 collection replacing the seals and such just had not gotten all the parts to do the PM 800 yet.

Bryan, that is a little scary. You were across the lot from me when it happened so I didn't hear it but when you were around me I didn't notice it screaming. I have lost two - one to a cold seizure after a poor rebuild and the other tuned in the wood then inadvertently leaned an 1/8 of a turn followed by a torn boot. Not knowing the boot was torn I ran it for about two minutes cutting small 4" stuff thinking re-tuning could wait- it screamed to a quick death.

Ron

I was wearing muffs and had other saws running around me. I was cutting threw a knot and was running it hard but I did not think that hard. What ever happened, happened fast. Oh well, have to see what I can find. It will run again. Just hoping it runs as well as it did before.

Well I got to tare down the PM 800 today. Not good. Anyone got a cylinder? It is not trashed, but has a small chunk of the chrome missing. Wonder if it could be re chromed. I get motorcycles re nikisiled at US Chrome but that cost 150.00 or did the last time I had one done (motorcycle). As ron said this one runs very strong and I hate to change anything. It looks like it leaned out. The seal behind the flywheel was very bad and the pulse tube from the cylinder and the carb was leaky. The biggest thing that I think caused this is the seal behind the flywheel. All the bearings look good, no play in either of them. I have been gathering the parts to refresh the saw and had plans to refresh it in a few weeks. All I was missing was the rings. That's what I get for waiting. I was having trouble with the oil pump also that could have been also causing it to be lean and I found out that the spring that held the back of the oil pump up had fallen off and could have been letting it suck a little air also. I just hope I can find a cylinder and piston that are in good shape.

Well now I have finally seen a metric crescent wrench. I've heard about them for years but never actually saw one. I was beginning to think they were only legend...

Rob

I would like to have that but it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it to illinois.
So I will wait

As much as I would like to have the entire hoist device, I am really starting to run out of space so I will be content with the power head up on the shelf.

I do have a few interesting McCulloch tidbits:

That is a McCulloch moped engine complete with the abrasive wheel to drive the bicycle tire.

IMG_1286.JPG

Mike Jackson also brought me the McCulloch compressor and Shop Vac.

IMG_1256.JPG

Perhaps you can see the BP-399T hiding in the box behind the compressor. One on a stand as well so I can run it once in a while.

IMG_1258.JPG

Don't forget that McCulloch got started building small high performance two stroke engines for target drones to train WWI era fighter pilots.

IMG_0195.JPG

Shop is really starting to fill up, added a lathe in the past weeks as well, had to rearrange some things to make room.

20160928_183055.1.jpg

Mark

850 Super, came after the Pro Mac 850 was discontinued and was replaced by the PM800, PM805, and PM850 Super. My theory is the PM800 did not have quite the spit of the Pro Mac 850 so they gave up the PM850 Super handle to try a different sales approach distinguishing the PM800 with the different features like the "Q" port and large muffler. There is some overlap in the published manufacture dates for the PM800, PM805, and PM850 Super. PM805 used more socket head fasteners and a black flywheel cover to set it apart.

I think all of the 805/800/850 Super/8200/DE80 saws had 8 mm bar studs where the Pro Mac 850 was 5/16-24.

Mark

Latest posts

Back