McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached is the Master IPL for the 55-,55,S55A,1-80,1-81,1-81HD.

I am still looking for a 1-81HD, believe I have all the rest.

Mark

P.S. My 55 starts well and really runs strong, even with the beaver tail bar and 5/8" pitch chain.

McCulloch 55 2.jpg

Attachments

• MIPL_55_S55_S55A_1-80_1-81_1-81hd_Sept_62.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 6
The IPL for the 700 says 89732 for rings. This number is consistent between two IPLs that cover '77-'92.

Rob

Thanks, my piston and cylinder look good but my compression is only 60 so I am going to try new rings. I've been wanting a Pro Mac 700 so I'm going to fix this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mark, my 55 also ran well, but seemed to have really low compression.

After tearing it down I noticed that it had a chrome plated top ring and iron lower ring, it also appears to have the cross hatching in the bore. I don't think I have ever seen an engine so clean inside either. I am going to replace the rings with ones I have ordered from the "Greek". My saw has a ~32" Bar and 1/2" chain.

I'm undecided as to whether I should sand blast and paint the saw or just clean and re-assemble as is.

Does the pro Mac 700 use standard seals or are you limited to NOS? I found them for $14 for NOS. I can get standard seals cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After tearing it down I noticed that it had a chrome plated top ring and iron lower ring, it also appears to have the cross hatching in the bore. I don't think I have ever seen an engine so clean inside either. I am going to replace the rings with ones I have ordered from the "Greek". My saw has a ~32" Bar and 1/2" chain.

I'm undecided as to whether I should sand blast and paint the saw or just clean and re-assemble as is.

I would not repaint it... most of the history of such saws will disappear when repainted... E.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

Where did you get that shirt? I want one

I have one of those too! Best shirt ever!
They come from a small logging/ranch/mill outfit near Grand Forks, BC, called Son Ranch and Timber Co.

The guy who owns it has a pretty big collection of saws. Lots of McCullochs.

The 55 also had a lot of endplay in the crank. I didn't measure it but it seemed excessive compared to other saws I have worked on. Does anyone know what it should be?

Latest posts

Back