McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the flywheel, it has been pointed out by far more knowledgeable members than me that a single cylinder engine will never have good balance, you are not likely to be able to pick up the difference even if you have one or two fins broken off which is a lot more material than the little bit scratched up by your loose bolt. If the mechanical damage affects the way the flywheel fits or aligns with the other parts underneath, I should be able to help you with a replacement.

View attachment 620193

Mark

WOW! That is a lot of yellow!

Thanks again Mark,

Yeah fortunately it doesn't seem to interfere with anything below it. . . was just curious if it would affect balance enough to worry about it.

You can never have too many parts saws! lol

Find another condenser, you will like the spark with that old magneto.

That is Vanguard chain, I send all mine to Philbert...

Speaking of sawdust screens for the 10 Series, I am have some Engineers innovating with our 3D printer where I work, part is currently being printed in PETG.

View attachment 620189

View attachment 620190

View attachment 620191

I've got a couple going out for some testing by members, hope to have them available early next year.

Mark
Sweet! I'll take one for sure when you have them up for sale.

Teraing into this 840 and it doesn’t have any spark. I cleaned the points, cleaned the pickup/coil and flywheel and all the wiring so I am leaning towards a bad condensor. Can I use a “universal” style condensor or should I go the ‘chip’ route?
What ohms do you get across points only when you open and close them? All it takes is a fiber or dust particle to keep points from going to zero when closed

[QUOTE="heimannm, post: ...

Speaking of sawdust screens for the 10 Series, I am have some Engineers innovating with our 3D printer where I work, part is currently being printed in PETG.

I've got a couple going out for some testing by members, hope to have them available early next year.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Good job. My friend that owned a plastic molding factory sold the plant before I got with him to create a mold. Not realizing that you were going ahead with the 3D, some months ago I asked an artist friend to attempt the same. I note yours has round holes - something my artist told me to expect from his. Can’t push creative minds, so who knows when I will get my version. He has promised that it will be sturdier than factory.

Ron

Those depthgauges (rakers) look funny to me. Looks like they are beveled to ensure the tooth takes a large bite. That much angle is going to be very hard on the chain rivets, no?

Tim, exactly the chain on this saw.
First time I seen this style.

Those safety chains are sold on a lot of new home owner saws and sold in all the box stores here. They cut smoothly and use a standard depth gauge height tool. As long as the depth gauges are kept at a proper level (.025) they are very smooth.
They are not as fast as LGX chain but are more than adequate for every day use. I don't buy them but get them on a lot of the older saws I buy. I use them mostly for cutting local firewood which is likely to have nails, eye bolts, etc. buried in the wood.
I really disliked them at first but don't find them lacking now. I think they get a really bad name as the depth gauges don't get any attention and they start to cut poorly just like any chain would.

Regarding the flywheel, it has been pointed out by far more knowledgeable members than me that a single cylinder engine will never have good balance, you are not likely to be able to pick up the difference even if you have one or two fins broken off which is a lot more material than the little bit scratched up by your loose bolt. If the mechanical damage affects the way the flywheel fits or aligns with the other parts underneath, I should be able to help you with a replacement.

View attachment 620193

Mark
Is that a 73 sitting in the left front?

Makes some of the rest of you appear almost normal...

Almost... LOL (And I've acquired several more since this pic.)

1-0507141727a.jpg

As for the Vanguard chain, yet another opportunity to plug the straight progressive Husky raker gauge. Best solution out there IMHO. And like Tim, I don't mind the chain at all. The thin slot Oregon style depth gauge tools won't work, though the wide slot versions will. But the Husky gauge is all I use anymore.

1222172009_resized.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_080933.jpg
    IMG_20170328_080933.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170328_081029.jpg
    IMG_20170328_081029.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170915_213849.jpg
    IMG_20170915_213849.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts