McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys this saw is killing me...I put NOS bearings in it put it back together and it seized again because the pin slid over and the needles fell out again..
I don't get what I'm doing wrong I've put the saw together 3 times everytime the same thing happens..
So how are you supposed to install the piston pin so it doesn't slide out cause I don't know apparently..I just press it in with a c clamp but it always seems like it presses to easy and i can push it with my finger so its not a tight fit any tips are appreciated..btw I used Lil red barn pistons and pins maybe they are junk Idk hard to say if its the parts or the installer(me). End rant

Either the wrist pin or the connecting rod have too much wear. You don't have enough interference to hold the wrist pin in the proper position; the fact that it moved easily should have tipped you off.

The service manual says if a new piston is used, the wrist pin should be replaced as well. In your case I expect you need to start with a new connecting rod too.

Mark

Ok guys this saw is killing me...I put NOS bearings in it put it back together and it seized again because the pin slid over and the needles fell out again..
I don't get what I'm doing wrong I've put the saw together 3 times everytime the same thing happens..
So how are you supposed to install the piston pin so it doesn't slide out cause I don't know apparently..I just press it in with a c clamp but it always seems like it presses to easy and i can push it with my finger so its not a tight fit any tips are appreciated..btw I used Lil red barn pistons and pins maybe they are junk Idk hard to say if its the parts or the installer(me). End rant

If you used a new pin then try the old one to see how tight it fits. Ron

btw I used Lil red barn pistons and pins maybe they are junk

I don't think I'd try em a third time. Compare the original OEM pin with the LRB pin as Ron suggested. I'll go out on a limb and guess the LRB is significantly smaller in diameter. And how are the needles seizing the top end without damaging the cylinder beyond use-ability?

Beautiful day to cut with a cool breeze, clouds and the mountains in the distance:

IMG_2900.JPG

But it got hot quick - low 80's. I didn't bring any MACs as I was planning to cut small stuff. Not to worry, our local MAC man Brian brought some of his.

IMG_2911.JPG

But even he got too hot - MAC was fine.

IMG_2913.JPG

Ron

Back