McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey McCulloch SMEs:

What't the correct torque for the oiler cover plate screw on a Pro Mac 700?

The back story is that mine was leaking bar oil and I had to cut a new gasket; but then I bent the oiler cover putting it back together -- I was pulling about 40 inch lbs -- I thought that should have been safe. I've purchased a replacement -- and I'd like it to seal against the gasket and stay tight, while not bending the cover plate or stripping the threads.

If anybody can supply the correct torque spec it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey McCulloch SMEs:

What't the correct torque for the oiler cover plate screw on a Pro Mac 700?

The back story is that mine was leaking bar oil and I had to cut a new gasket; but then I bent the oiler cover putting it back together -- I was pulling about 40 inch lbs -- I thought that should have been safe. I've purchased a replacement -- and I'd like it to seal against the gasket and stay tight, while not bending the cover plate or stripping the threads.

If anybody can supply the correct torque spec it would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2018-3-2_8-0-24.png

Got the exhaust manifold fabricated and tig welded . Waiting on a carb kit before I can start it . Going to measure the needles out of a donar power mac 310 saw and see if they are larger . Also trying to get more air in to this tiny carb . Thinkin I can fab a mount and use a K/N valve cover vent . They have many sizes and it will look cool !

https://www.summitracing.com/search...8&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending

IMG_2011.PNG

There should also be a spacer on that screw that I would think should keep you from overyightening it to that degree.
Nope, none I have ever seen did. Doesn't show one on the ipl either

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Hmmm I have a 7-10 apart right now...... maybe I'm confused abbout where that spacer came from lol...... maybe Alzheimer's is setting in at 37 lol

Pretty certain that's how it came apart.
975e560eaea15f4f4a61c0b27830438a.jpg

My 10-10, nor my 700, nor either one of my 81s had that

I've never seen one on any of mine either but it looks like a good idea.

Any chance you can get a vernier on the spacer for an exact length?
I would like that info also. My 700 cover was cracked from being over tightened.

Very possible. I wonder if the spacer in the fuel tank would be the same depth...... Just idle thought

It seems a good place for yamabond or similar on the gasket. Not tension just the sealant for sealing
It's ok as long as you never have to open it up to adjust the oiler or seal up the oil pump. I just put a new gasket in my 700 and snuged it up. No leaks what so ever.

Very possible. I wonder if the spacer in the fuel tank would be the same depth...... Just idle thought

I stand corrected, you are totally right. That screw and spacer is for the fuel tank not the oil tank. That's what happens when I leave something apart for too long. Lol

I notice some of the later covers were better reinforced than the earlier covers -- so I must not be the only person who ever had this problem.

Nonetheless, I'm going to go a little easy torquing the new cover and if doesn't seal, I've got a tube of Hylomar that works wonders in places that you need a sealant that you can take apart again.

Thanks for the discussion on this -- it's helpful.

Latest posts

Back