McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Buckin Billy if you watch the whole video of him bucking the big maple you will see that he is using a skip tooth chain so I can see it doing what it is doing.

On the old stuff, up stairs at my grandmothers was a ton of old stuff. Their was an old floor type Victrola full of old records, an old television that I had never seen one like it before or sense. It was a round screen with a AM and short wave radio built in. One of the first color TVs ever made, some old brass and cast iron bed frames. Down in the basement 2 old wringer washers, one gas, a old reel type lawn mower with a B&S motor, a old kitchen cabinet that had a flour and corn meal bins. The flour bin had a sifter on the bottom and a bunch of dishes from the 30s and 40s. A friend of the family thought he would help my grandmother out and clean the up stairs and basement and threw all that away. This was the mid 70s and at that time was worth a lot of money. My family owns a rural telephone company. My dad in the mid 60s took two ton truck with cattle racks full of old crank type phones to the dump. If he had only known. He save some but threw many away.

Brian

If Tim were to tell me there were full wrap bars for the Pro Mac rigid mount saws I would have to believe it. I see Billy Ray has one but it can't come from a SP or PM anti-vibe model as those would be too tall and the mounts would not line up with the bar. I see it, I just don't know where it comes from. I have looked through all of my hard copy and electronic IPL's but I haven't been able to find a full wrap bar shown anywhere.

Here is a 7-10 with one of the full wrap bars I had made up.

View attachment 646256

Here is it on a RH start saw, see how it clears the bottom of the clutch cover.

View attachment 646257

Here is one mounted on the 7-10 with a modified late model clutch cover made to clear the wrap handle.

View attachment 646258

I was thinking of trying to get some made that would fit without the modification but I think they would be too expensive with the additional bends needed to make them fit and clear. I may still look into it somewhere down the road but there is too much going on right now to allow that kind of experimentation.

Mark

It's a long shot but Canada put more safety feature regs in place on the west coast much earlier than the US. I think full wrap bars were one of them for logging. Maybe a batch was made up at MAC in Canada to cover that. Buckin Billy is in BC

I seem to vaguely recall him pulling a full wrap out of a box in one of his vids and trying to 'fit' it to a 10-10 saying he thought it was for an SP 81 but could "make it work". I hafta admit, he does ocssionally pull off some rather interesting stuff..., like keeping three trucks going with only one battery. LOL

I seem to vaguely recall him pulling a full wrap out of a box in one of his vids and trying to 'fit' it to a 10-10 saying he thought it was for an SP 81 but could "make it work". I hafta admit, he does ocssionally pull off some rather interesting stuff..., like keeping three trucks going with only one battery. LOL

He’s creative, that Bugger.

Assuming he has the square filed wizardry down pat....

I believe he has an old Simington for his square grind. Mighty good with a file for his round though, too. That's how I ran across him..., looking for hand filing tips. Changed everything with my approach to filing. My hand filed chains now cut almost as good as the ones I grind.

It would be nice if I could get a hold of some MAC Canada IPL's. That might tell a tale.

I believe he has an old Simington for his square grind. Mighty good with a file for his round though, too. That's how I ran across him..., looking for hand filing tips. Changed everything with my approach to filing. My hand filed chains now cut almost as good as the ones I grind.

True on both accounts.

I ponder: why do they have round ground on the West Coast?

I have learned so much about my filing from his videos. My father taught me to file freehand years ago but he never actually explained to me what I was doing or how to accomplish it, he may have not even known himself.

True on both accounts.

I ponder: why do they have round ground on the West Coast?
I can say that I am on the east coast (New England to be exact) and I have never even seen square ground firsthand.

I might actually go!!!!! I didn't realize it was so close, only a 3 hour drive!!!!
How do these things work? Never been to one, do I just show up with a few saws and join in the fun?
I've been looking for a chance to run my big McCulloch.
I am also getting my McCulloch tattoo the day before!!!

I might actually go!!!!! I didn't realize it was so close, only a 3 hour drive!!!!
How do these things work? Never been to one, do I just show up with a few saws and join in the fun?
I've been looking for a chance to run my big McCulloch.
I am also getting my McCulloch tattoo the day before!!!

Define Big McCulloch.

Pictures will aid in this process.

Latest posts

Back