McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my first 82cc mac yesterday. I got it ready to cut tonight, I just need some day light to let her eat. Tough buy, but I just don't come across saws like this one. The seller was a real nice guy who let her go, even tho he really didn't want to part with it. The sound these saws make is just plain amazing, identical to a piped mid 80's CR/YZ/KX/RM... I'm gonna try my best to make it out to PA this weekend to try these mac's out in some of that maple.

Hey fellas,
Can anyone offer advice for buying and replacing the rubber wrap on a 10-10 handle? Or can an upholstery shop do it?

Good question, I've been thinking about using shrink tubing.
Fired up the 850 tonight, ran good/cut good. I gotta learn how to square file quick since I hit a piece of concrete hidden in the leaves... I ordered the 3 sided file and the double beveled file last night from baileys, won't get here till late next week.

Hi All,I recently acquired a 610 in kinda rough shape.Last week I went to find out how many bolts were missing from the recoil - all of them,& in the process I found that the muffler needs to be helicoiled because the bolts that hold it on just fall out.I found out that the bolts that were used to hold the muffler on were not the correct bolts,so I got new bolts & they still just fall out,so definitely need to be helicoiled.Anyone know what size helicoils I need to get?
The other problem I've got is that when I cleaned up the outside of the cylinder I noticed an excess of oil mixed with saswdust.Apparently this had been going on for quite a while to get that amount of build up.I put bar oil in to see if the manual pump would oil,& it does.The oil that was left in the tank leaked out all over the cylinder again.Where is the oil leaking from?Could the oil pump gasket be shot,or loose?Is there another inherent problem with these models?
When I got the saw it did fire on a prime.

610s are plentiful. A very good saw. I have one and use it a lot. Many look down on these saws but I like them. They are nicknamed a McCinder Block.

I am not a big fan of heli coils. I prefer Time serts. I think they are a better solution but are expensive. You can find them on Amazon.

As far as the oil leak I don't know how to help you. Not sure how on that saw the oil system routes. It could be as simple as a gasket leaking.

Also on the stripped threads sometimes on Mac's I will go to the next size larger in metric. I think that is a 6mm and it is just big enough that you take the old threads out and rethread. I think they are a 10/24 bolt but don't take that as gospel. I am sur someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Brian

I got the Pro Mac 60 out today. I cut some fir tops left on my neighbors property. They are going to be round versions of 4x4's for my woodshed expansion. Everything got a workout today, the Mac, my Tacoma ( my skidder/log truck) my bark spud, and me!!!

Attachments

• 0531181458-00.jpg
    0531181458-00.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0531181615-00.jpg
    0531181615-00.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 17
I picked up my first 82cc mac yesterday. I got it ready to cut tonight, I just need some day light to let her eat. Tough buy, but I just don't come across saws like this one. The seller was a real nice guy who let her go, even tho he really didn't want to part with it. The sound these saws make is just plain amazing, identical to a piped mid 80's CR/YZ/KX/RM... I'm gonna try my best to make it out to PA this weekend to try these mac's out in some of that maple.
I picked up a running Homelite Super 1050 that looked like it just had a lot of restoration/rebuild work done on it. One thing it had was a new factory muffler. I cut up a couple Oak trees for a friend, and when I cranked up the saw, he ran to his truck and grabbed some foam ear plugs. All I could tell reading his lips was "DAMN THAT THING IS LOUD". A few weeks later I picked up the Mac 550 and the first thing I noticed is it seemed much quieter. Loud maybe, but it didn't have that painful ear splitting loudness. By the time I started working for my Dad he had switched from Macs to Homelites, and the Super 1050 was my favorite saw, maybe that's why I'm deaf as a door knob on my right side.

I had some spare time so I decided to cut some chestnut oak's down that were just about totally dead. I used the pro mac 55 since they were about 12" diameter. First tree cut up, banged it over w/ some wedges to be safe around the power lines. I went to start limbing it and the saw seemed funny so I went to tune it and noticed the chain was super tight? I loosened it up and went to make a cut and same thing. Chain was super tight again after just adjusting it. I have a new bar and new chain on it that are the right size/pitch so I think I have narrowed it down to the clutch/sprocket/bearing. I had to make dinner so I didn't have time to pull the cover off and check it out. But does this sound like a clutch/sprocket/bearing issue? When I was adjusting the chain I noticed it did seem pretty crunchy when moving the chain back and forth? Thanks for any advice

Finally scored a runable PM 800 this weekend. I got one with a bad cylinder last year and have been trying to rebuild it but that's been slow. A friend is moving from acreage to a home in town and selling a lot of stuff and happened to have this great-condition PM 800. Original owner - purchased new in 1984. Even have the original owners manual and bill of sale and 'record of purchase' from Mac. Hadn't run in a couple years but "was running fine last time I used it". Felt like good compression (later tested to just under 150). Didn't start with just replacing the fuel with new stuff but I checked it out and it had spark but didn't seem to be getting fuel. Would run for a sec with fuel dumped down the carb. So I took the carb off and opened it up to clean things out. Everything looked really good inside. Nothing obviously wrong. Didn't damage the diaphragm or any gaskets when taking it apart! Only thing that didn't look quite right was the the diaphragm didn't seem to be connected tot he metering lever. Blew air lightly through orifices, cleaned the needle, and put it back together. Once back together it started up quite quickly and seems to run well. Chain is super dull but it did chew through a log and purred nicely. This completes the series of Macs I had been hoping for, so now I can concentrate on using them instead of looking for more. :)

One thing I just noticed is that it doesn't have a bucking spike. The manual shows one so I'll have to track down an IPL and see if I can get one.

20180603_113926-XL.jpg

20180603_113931_001-XL.jpg

20180603_114003-XL.jpg

20180603_113949-XL.jpg

Rob

Finally scored a runable PM 800 this weekend. I got one with a bad cylinder last year and have been trying to rebuild it but that's been slow. A friend is moving from acreage to a home in town and selling a lot of stuff and happened to have this great-condition PM 800. Original owner - purchased new in 1984. Even have the original owners manual and bill of sale and 'record of purchase' from Mac. Hadn't run in a couple years but "was running fine last time I used it". Felt like good compression (later tested to just under 150). Didn't start with just replacing the fuel with new stuff but I checked it out and it had spark but didn't seem to be getting fuel. Would run for a sec with fuel dumped down the carb. So I took the carb off and opened it up to clean things out. Everything looked really good inside. Nothing obviously wrong. Didn't damage the diaphragm or any gaskets when taking it apart! Only thing that didn't look quite right was the the diaphragm didn't seem to be connected tot he metering lever. Blew air lightly through orifices, cleaned the needle, and put it back together. Once back together it started up quite quickly and seems to run well. Chain is super dull but it did chew through a log and purred nicely. This completes the series of Macs I had been hoping for, so now I can concentrate on using them instead of looking for more. :)

One thing I just noticed is that it doesn't have a bucking spike. The manual shows one so I'll have to track down an IPL and see if I can get one.

20180603_113926-XL.jpg

20180603_113931_001-XL.jpg

20180603_114003-XL.jpg

20180603_113949-XL.jpg

Rob
I've got a spike I do believe

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

1st time I have ever seen that spike in the package. So it does exist. I keep checking ebay for a oem spike w/ hardware. I might just buy the spike and find some hardware locally.

Blue, is yours the long cover or short cover. The short cover spike is offset a little and won't bolt up to a long or vice versa

Rob, I'll dig through the boxes tomorrow, but I know there is at least one

I believe my problem with the p/m 55 was a bad sprocket. 1 side was worn pretty thin and 1 or 2 teeth were pretty worn out. I could only find 1 used oem set w/ a rather weak description/pictures. I ordered the oregon system w/ a bearing.

How much difference is there in air filters between the Mac modes like 10-10S, 10-10A, 700, 555, 800, etc.? They all look like the same filter but every one seems to have a unique part number. I'm looking for a filter for my 'new' PM 800 but seeing mainly NOS ones for $15-20 on eBay. However, there are tons of 10-10 filter models for $7-8 around too.

ETA: I noticed that the one for the 800 is indeed a different shape than the 10-series saws. Is there an aftermarket equivalent part?

Thanks,
Rob

Back