McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. Thx. I would say the degree wheel setup is what keeps more folks from using the method. Been meaning to make one for years but never seem to get around to it since I don't do any serious port work myself.
Forget the degree wheel. It ends up in the way anyways. Fashion a pointer and put marks for tdc and another at timing spec. For easy figuring 30 degrees is pretty much 1.5" on a 3" radius iirc so each half inch 10 degrees. Pretty easy to estimate 26 with 20 and 30 marks
Forgive my enthusiasm for measurements. Instrumentation and electrician kinda leads to that.
Cheers

Ok guys, hoping for some help here, I'm wondering what the fix might be for these style fuel tank vents. The one with the chain is leaking like a sieve. The frustrating part is that I bought that cap NOS off Ebay a couple years ago for like $30!!!!!! Then found out later I could have rebuilt the duck bill in my old cap. Currently I am swapping one cap between 3 saws. The one with the brass cap without the chain is the only one that works.
Alternatively, does anyone have good used caps they would let go reasonably? Thanks.
c1fad43647a4f75b2c78311f7644a31c.jpg
01aef3fac63185d5a1de928e81bddba7.jpg
86523f49a901cdf112e8127f516377c8.jpg

The brass insert with the chain should twist out just as easily and the one without a chain. Clean out the old duckbill valve residue very thoroughly and install a new one (green Poulan or red Homelite will work). Remember that the spring goes in first, then the washer if it has one, finally the duckbill valve then press the brass insert back in place. 90% of the time that's all it takes. That is the original McCulloch duckbill valve in the photo below, and the special washer that keeps the spring and duckbill in proper alignment. m For that particular plastic insert it is necessary to drill the hole out to 5/32" diameter x 1/4" deep for the red Homelite valve.

DSC01069.JPG

Mark

Mac 10 Series Fuel Cap Vents -- Some additional info from Mark that I had bookmarked.

Also, the Homelite part number for the red vents is 69451 and the Stens number is 610-345. Any small engine shop should have the Stens vents. The green Poulan vents are 530026119.

I actually let out a cry...good thing you have a government that is "looking out for you".

Be sure to clean the tank thoroughly, I like to finish with a little acetone then blow it out well. Roll the tank around a good bit to insure a good coating of the Red Cote then be sure to let it cure completely, I like to give them 5-7 days to make sure it is fully cured, even longer if you get it a bit thick.

Mark

I actually let out a cry...good thing you have a government that is "looking out for you".

Be sure to clean the tank thoroughly, I like to finish with a little acetone then blow it out well. Roll the tank around a good bit to insure a good coating of the Red Cote then be sure to let it cure completely, I like to give them 5-7 days to make sure it is fully cured, even longer if you get it a bit thick.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll get a couple of rubber stoppers for the filler and fuel line holes as well.

If you can find a government that looks out for you let me know LOL

I even contacted the importer to see where I could buy some. No reply.

Wow. Got mine from an eBay source in Fla. for $12.

$35 US tax in. Not a Florida price but better than a Canadian tar and feather price.

I cringe to think what Trump's tariiffs are going to do to the people just getting by in the US when the Chinese ones kick in.

The only losers are going to be the consumers.

The gov't, winner, winner, chicken dinner

Hello all, i have a question for the parts guys...i was in my saw shop and decided to tinker with a loop of 1/2" pitch chain i have. Its mcculloch chain for a 20" bar which i also have. Thie bar is for the large frame older mccullochs, hard nose type. I got the bar and chain off a neighbor quite a few years ago. It is never been used so now id like to use it. This is for the novelty of it alone. I was going to mount this on a sp105 just for the fun of it. Yes i know that .5 inch pitch chain has a value but id like to use it myself. However..and heres my question to anyone, i need a rim sprocket to fit this chain. I havent been able to locate one yet. I have been searching high and low. Local shops, ebay, contacts in oregon and ny (bob j) all with no luck. Surely someone has a rim sprocket that will fit the mcculloch drums or oregon drums. The oregon pn is 10512. I did find that out. Does anybody out there have a 1/2" pitch rim sprocket lying around theyd part with for a reasonable price? I did find one on ebay right now...$104.00!! Thats way too much for any rim sprocket and for the fun of it. To me anyway. Any help is greatly appreciated, thankyou vinny

Yesterday I came across a 2019 Reagan Ranch calendar. September 2019 features Ronald Reagan with what appears to be a PM850. Also has a small picture of him with a PM6. He either liked MACs a lot or he was on their payroll. Not sure how many different MACs are featured with him but I have seen several with 1010s.

Ron

Yesterday I came across a 2019 Reagan Ranch calendar. September 2019 features Ronald Reagan with what appears to be a PM850. Also has a small picture of him with a PM6. He either liked MACs a lot or he was on their payroll. Not sure how many different MACs are featured with him but I have seen several with 1010s.

Ron

If you think about it, both were hot stuff in California at the same time.

Cool History.

In between other activities this week I managed to get three saws fixed up and going for "customers", the PM5700 belongs to my local insurance agent, the 2318 and SP40 belong to one of the Engineers where I still work part time. 5700 needed a good cleaning top to bottom, fuel line, oiler gasket and diaphragm, and a good cleaning of the carburetor. The 2318 needed the oil line replaced and fuel lines and filter replace, the SP40 was more serious with a leaking PTO side seal so it was a complete tear down and rebuild.

20180707_132956.jpg

20180707_133009.jpg

20180706_165408.jpg

And then I started on one for myself. Not may would consider a Mini Mac worthy of their time & effort but I am trying to assemble a complete line up of all the McCulloch saws.

20180707_133108.jpg

Not a good sign when you find this wrapped around the crankshaft behind the clutch.

20180707_134121.jpg

Indeed the PTO side seal was leaking just like the SP40.

20180707_141413.jpg

But I will make it whole again soon.

Mark

Latest posts

Back