McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering my options for a bar for the CP125, I can't find any info on what bar mount the saw would take even though it may be discontinued.
If any of you could tell me what mount it took maybe I can make one up out of a Husky large mount or a Stihl bar with stud spacers or keep my open for a MAC bar
I'm thinking on a 36" sprocket nose .404 pitch. That should cover just about anything I would run into at a GTG in the east.

Thanks

There a many, many bars available to fit the large frame McCulloch saws. Look at ebay and if nothing appeals to you know that a large mount Husky bar can be made to fit pretty easily but will require drilling a hole for the oiler. I made one up to go on one of the PM800 saws I got going using the spring type bar spacers.

Just a few ebay examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mc...669385?hash=item590f976509:g:iy0AAOSwnDJbQOVS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MC...934727?hash=item2142efd547:g:h0IAAOSw1rBbP-wB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCULLOCH-...241265?hash=item2a7cbac4b1:g:ZzQAAOSwWxNYuxGn

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-La...880210?hash=item2f1d4a6ed2:g:Hf8AAOSwNSZa-fSf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCULLOCH-...804395?hash=item3626e56f2b:g:Ff0AAOSwEEBaIEF9

A 10 Series bar can also be made to fit and work with about 15 minutes and a good large flat file.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I did make a D009 bar that works for my SP80, Homelites, Huskies and Poulans. I just filed the adjuster hole up into the bar groove like a D096 or D176.

I did have to drill new adjuster holes for the SP80.

I just wasn't sure if the bar tail was tall enough.

Would it be correct that the SP125 rim drive drum and sprocket will fit the CP125?

You need to use those in conjunction with the 125 plates to keep the chain away from the bar pad on the narrower tail. The 125 plates will assure the oil gets where it needs to go.

Also Tim, if you dont mind hard nose, those 34" bars like I have on my 380 are still available on Ebay. Those are .050 guage though so you'd have to run 3/8 pitch. I believe the same seller has 32" bars in .063

I've posted videos of this saw before but this is the saw that was responsible for starting my McCulloch affliction.
Dads 10-10. It was a graduation gift from his parents in 1971. Has literally cut thousands of cords of firewood and countless board feet of saw logs. Never been apart and still rips wood with the best of them.

I finally got a chance to try the 125 out today. I have a Pioneer mount 28" Windsor Speed TIp bar set up for .404, .058 ga. It's wears an old Windsor chisel chain with safety humps between the cutters.

I had tried the saw last week with the 20" bar that came with the saw but the cutters are so worn I had to sharpen them with a 3/16" file. The saw started fine but died in the cut after about 3 seconds. I traced that back to the Tygon line pulled through a homemade grommet which had collapsed the line too much. I cut the spring out of the MAC line that came with it which had 6 or so pin holes in it and put the spring in the Tygon line. All is well there.

The saw is pretty wicked. Lots of power.

The only piece of wood I have at the moment is a piece of Maple about 16" diameter. It's so dry a 50cc saw just chatters away in it.

The MAC ate it.

Very likely a Super 44, the cast AF cover and lack of hockey mask over the screen and good indicators. Flip the saw over and see what is stamped on the bottom of the crankcase. They moved the numbers around but this is a Super 44, Serial number 6634.

McCulloch Super 44 SN1.JPG

The Super 44A normally has the extra guard (hockey mask) over the screen air intake.

McCulloch D-44 Super A.JPG

Mark

Very likely a Super4, the cast AF cover and lack of hockey mask over the screen and good indicators. Flip the saw over and see what is stamped on the bottom of the crankcase. They moved the numbers around but this is a Super 44, Serial number 6634.

View attachment 662102

The Super 44A normally has the extra guard (hockey mask) over the screen air intake.

View attachment 662103

Mark

Thanks Mark. I spoke with the seller tonight and going to pick it and some variant of a 6XX up (not sure what they are called but known as McCinder blocks?) tomorrow if it's still there for peanuts.

What is the big draw to the super 44, D44, and super 44A saws? They seem popular and sought after was wondering why???

Owing a good running D44 or one of the later variants is like driving a hot rod with a flat head V8...it may not be the fastest machine out there but it really represents when the one man saws went high performance. I have a 55 (gear drive version of the 44) that absolutely screams and cuts pretty fast even with the beaver tail bar and 9/16 or 5/8" pitch chain that came with the saw.

McCulloch 55 2.jpg

My 44 is also a good runner, but it doesn't get down off the shelf very often.

McCulloch D-44 00.jpg

Mark

Owing a good running D44 or one of the later variants is like driving a hot rod with a flat head V8...it may not be the fastest machine out there but it really represents when the one man saws went high performance. I have a 55 (gear drive version of the 44) that absolutely screams and cuts pretty fast even with the beaver tail bar and 9/16 or 5/8" pitch chain that came with the saw.

View attachment 662207

My 44 is also a good runner, but it doesn't get down off the shelf very often.

View attachment 662208

Mark
So performance wise, it's not much different than any other 87cc Mac?

Latest posts

Back