McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for you guys with the 800's.
Does the sawdust shield go above, below or even with the top flange on the clutch cover?
There are two tabs on the sawdust shield.They are both above the flange on the clutch cover at present.

My finger is pointing at the sawdust shield flange.

DSCF3858.JPG

A question for you guys with the 800's.
Does the sawdust shield go above, below or even with the top flange on the clutch cover?
There are two tabs on the sawdust shield.They are both above the flange on the clutch cover at present.

My finger is pointing at the sawdust shield flange.

View attachment 682057

Not sure it matters. I believe the tabs are there to assist you when installing the chain. Use your thumb against them to prevent/undo snags with the cutters.

Disclaimer: I have been wrong many times.

Ron

If I remember correctly, there are "ribs" or other obstructions inside the clutch cover that would not allow the tabs to go inside the cover, it has to be outside. Depending on how bent up the inner shield is, it can be tricky to get the clutch cover installed.

20180530_153300.jpg

Based on the angle that you look at it, the inner shield may or may not be obvious.

20180530_152732.jpg

Mark

If I remember correctly, there are "ribs" or other obstructions inside the clutch cover that would not allow the tabs to go inside the cover, it has to be outside. Depending on how bent up the inner shield is, it can be tricky to get the clutch cover installed.

View attachment 682107

Based on the angle that you look at it, the inner shield may or may not be obvious.

View attachment 682112

Mark

Thanks Mark. The tabs are on the outside. But the shield is a bit bent so I wasn't sure. Not sure how it got bent as it's pretty hard material.

View attachment 682107

View attachment 682112

Mark

Do I need to pull the clutch cover off this saw & share pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tim,

Not surprisingly the shields on all six of my assembled saws are on the outside so I am likely wrong about saying it doesn’t matter.

The majority of the 82cc MACs that have passed through my hands (more than a dozen) have had split, bent and/or trimmed shields. Not sure why or what happened to them. I replace them all and have had no issues and I am not known for having a deft touch. I can understand why some folks trim the shield between the clutch and the muffler, but don’t know why they trim the top or bottom.

Ron

Tim,

Not surprisingly the shields on all six of my assembled saws are on the outside so I am likely wrong about saying it doesn’t matter.

The majority of the 82cc MACs that have passed through my hands (more than a dozen) have had split, bent and/or trimmed shields. Not sure why or what happened to them. I replace them all and have had no issues and I am not known for having a deft touch. I can understand why some folks trim the shield between the clutch and the muffler, but don’t know why they trim the top or bottom.

Ron

Thanks for checking Ron.

I worked a bit on the 1-52 tonight figuring it would be a quick matter of swapping a couple of parts......... well nothing ends up that way for me lol. I started taking it apart and found it to be pretty badly caked so decided a thorough cleaning was in order, so decided I will do crank seals while I'm at it.
I also discovered that this saw uses the inboard chain adjuster, the fuel tank that @ML12 sent me is not drilled and tapped for the inboard adjuster. So I either need to drill and tap it or get a clutch cover with the outboard adjuster.

Anyone have one they can spare? These Ebay sellers want nearly as much as I paid for the saw!!! Lol

The clutch covers are interchangeable on all of the large frame LH start saws, in fact the earlier covers will fit on the SP105/125 but they don't look right.

Very early models did not have the chain tension adjuster as those saw relied on a screw with an oversize head in the oil tank to engage the milled slot/scallop in the bar to adjust chain tension. While this system did work, it is rather troublesome to get everything lined up and working plus it does not work as well with bar protector plates.

Fact it, the RH start clutch covers will work as well, just look very odd with the extra stuff sticking out.

Mark

The clutch covers are interchangeable on all of the large frame LH start saws, in fact the earlier covers will fit on the SP105/125 but they don't look right.

Very early models did not have the chain tension adjuster as those saw relied on a screw with an oversize head in the oil tank to engage the milled slot/scallop in the bar to adjust chain tension. While this system did work, it is rather troublesome to get everything lined up and working plus it does not work as well with bar protector plates.

Fact it, the RH start clutch covers will work as well, just look very odd with the extra stuff sticking out.

Mark
You da man, Mark.. Maybe 2broke will chime in here shortly. Thanks, K

Back